What about some optimism and hope ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anyone ever "drops by" in his / her tinder to exchange pleasantries while in the 'hood?

that is an interesting question, dennis. surely a bit of shopping at bulgari or a dinner party for 18 at l'isola with magnums of krug and soldera brunello all around ? (leurs gardes du corps close at hand)

IMG_2011.jpg

Pointe Milou sunsets still looking good )

Our family has lots of optimism and hope. Anita and I just booked a trip together end of April. Going to give it a go to connect through St. Maarten to use up my deferred flight tickets canceled due to Irma. Also, getting another family trip together for end of July.

I wonder if anyone ever "drops by" in his / her tender to exchange pleasantries while in the 'hood?

Now that Le Grand Bleu, the 113 metre yacht yacht that RA gifted to an associate, has arrived (which Kevin noted in another thread), crews may need to be on watch for tenders coming by:

LGBIB.jpg

"A tender has crashed into the side of a 38m Custom Line yacht in Ibiza... the tender was being operated by two crew members who fell off at a speed close to 30 knots without wearing a killcord... The tender then drove around in circles for a reported 15 minutes before crashing twice into the yacht... the tender originated from Le Grand Bleu"

Ibiza, July 14, 2016

Our family has lots of optimism and hope. Anita and I just booked a trip together end of April. Going to give it a go to connect through St. Maarten to use up my deferred flight tickets canceled due to Irma. Also, getting another family trip together for end of July.

Bravo ...island needs enthusiasm at the moment

Each resto
thread is,separate. Your thread is moot by now. There's a difference between a thread and a forum.

Each resto
thread is,separate. Your thread is moot by now. There's a difference between a thread and a forum.

That's very true ..well said .thanks for insight
photos of the situation on the island can't compete with "coquilettes au gruyere au regal today a 12-00"...even less with 4000 threads about them.

Anyway,I prefer reading advices and reports from people who have been in sbh the last few months).
Moot still seems better than irrelevant,anyway (or factually wrong)

People posting reviews aren’t posting on your thread. I’m not telling you to stop. I’m saying that the initial posts after the hurricanes were fine but by now we are way past that. Pictures of sunsets just don’t fit. Why not start a new thread?

People posting reviews aren’t posting on your thread. I’m not telling you to stop. I’m saying that the initial posts after the hurricanes were fine but by now we are way past that. Pictures of sunsets just don’t fit. Why not start a new thread?

Great idea .i will think about it and decide what to do later

Some very interesting news in the new journal de St Barth (sadly,in french only)
https://www.journaldesaintbarth.com
Orange Caraibes has pulled out of the fiber optic public tender,a major surprise as they announced after Irmma they wouldn't renovate parts of the phone network because of the "soon to come" fiber optic network.
Intriguingly,they will deploy fiber in Saint Marteen (beginning this month)

Another great story in the journal about Air Antilles and Guadeloupe,with a surreal comment of the CEO of the company.

Reading the posts forecasting a continuation of the tough times is sad for those that are living the difficulties daily, but if you take a look at the experiences of others that have gone through similar events, I think you will indeed find plenty of reasons for hope and optimism.
A common trait in human nature is to assume that what is going on now is going to continue to go on. In the investment world, you'll routinely hear us say that the "trend is your friend." Basically you often assume that what's going on will continue to go on until it quits going on. Classic chart analysis. The thing is, things will change, and no doubt positive change is coming to the island. Watching things on a day to day basis though, it's often hard to see it coming.
Two other interesting things happen though after most major storms and catastrophes. First, people use the the rebuilding process to build back better. If a home always wished it had a better kitchen, it will be enhanced. If it needed another bedroom, it will be added. If the whole place needed to be updated, it will be done. What this does is ultimately increase the appeal and market value of the properties over what was before. As a result, if you study the impact of coastal storms in other places, often, with hindsight, they are considered not just landmark events for their difficulty, but ultimately hugely positive times for property owners that benefit from the surge in valuations from the enhanced and rebuilt neighborhood. Insurance companies have documented this type of post-storm valuation enhancement for years. I had a lake house that was flooded in 1994; water about 2 inches over the kitchen counter. Tough at the time, but the surge in valuations throughout the lake in the years that followed ultimately made the event hugely positive.
A second thing to remember is, like most things, follow the money. Insurance companies and their requirements will have a much larger impact on everything going forward, particularly during the rebuilding process. Through higher premiums, they will impact where it is cost effective to rebuild (based on future risks to themselves), buildings codes for the reconstruction, and cause any place that is determined to operate in a high risk zone without change to pay through the nose going forward. Insurance costs will move some hotels and businesses away from models that were acceptable a year ago. That's just the market doing its thing. People will deal with it and it will be fine.
Bottom line is that while the short-term circumstances for many will remain challenging, the future of a newly rebuilt St Barths should be something that should have those that appreciate and invest in this little island ultimately very excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.