Resto Status Post-Irma

KevinS

Senior Insider
Irma will force many changes on the St Barth restaurant scene. For now, we're in early days, and little is known except that everything is closed - lack of electrical power will do that. Over the coming days, weeks, and months, that will change. Some information will be positive - a restaurant has re-opened. Some will be negative - a restaurant has been destroyed. And we'll have every kind of news in between.

This is a work in progress. I'll reach out to my sources for information, but I don't have a source for many restaurants other than me walking in the door. I won't personally be back on the island for at least two months, so this will also need to be a crowd-sourced work, one which I'm requesting anyone who has confirmed information on the status of a restaurant to provide information for.

At present, 2 days post-Irma, power is out, comms are out with the exception of limited cell service, and there is very little information available. The attached document lists everything in my Restos18 list, plus a few changes. It also lists some restaurants as being seasonally closed. Other than that, the information is so sparse as to be non-existent. With your help, that will change over time.

Here's what I have so far:

25 Quarter in Gustavia has no damage, and will re-open when power is available.
Eden Rock is in a Seasonal Closing period. The scheduled re-opening in early October will be delayed until an undetermined date.

That's it. That's all I've got. I'll be reaching out to restaurants as the situation on the island changes, ideally when power and communications are restored. Any confirmed information which the SBHOnline community can provide is appreciated. I'll update the attached document as required.

Le Toiny posted this morning on Facebook...

The island of St. Barth and its neighbouring islands of St. Maarten and Anguilla were severely impacted by hurricane Irma.
We are so very grateful for your wonderful expressions of support and concern. This storm hit during a time that the island's many resorts, including our own, were customarily closed for seasonal upgrades - so it looks like we will have a little more work on our hands now. We are conducting our assessment and will provide a more detailed update soon.
Whilst the damage to the island has been considerable the spirit of its people is strong! Recovery and clean-up plans and activities are already underway. From the bottom of our hearts we thank you and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
#StBarthStrong #SeeYouSoon #ThankYou #LeToiny

Thanks, Tiffany. I've updated the document in the first post in this thread to show that Le Toiny and Le Guanahani are assessing their status. I've also added a note to Maya's that there is some damage, but not too bad. My recollection is that the restaurant was severely damaged by Luis, so this is better news.

AMC has reported that the AMC grocery in Lorient is completely destroyed and inundated. They have further reported that the AMC Libre Service in Gustavia is completely flooded, with all equipment "Hors Service" - Out of Service.

On a positive note, the Airport Superette is reported to be functional, but no opening hours were provided.

Sadly, for those of us who are Veuve Clicquot drinkers, Segeco has suffered major damage to their equipment, and is closed until further notice. On a more positive note, with St Barth being a French island, there are many other Champagnes to explore and enjoy while Segeco recovers. My friend Rosita might suggest the Taittinger at La Cave du Port Franc.

La Gloriette, a beachfront favorite of many here, has been damaged and is without power. Recovery efforts will be unclear until power is restored.

The document in the first post on this thread has been updated to show these changes. (Now Revision R2)

Francois Plantation and Villa Marie
[h=3]INFORMATION[/h]After Hurricane Irma, we are relieved to announce that all Villa Marie Saint-Barth staff members are safe and sound. There were no guests in the establishment as the hotel was closed. At this time, it is too early to communicate a reopening date. We will provide more information as soon as possible.
[h=5]X[/h]

A blessing that so many are safe..unharmed. I mow pray that phase two, Jose, has that result too.

More bad news, but I promise that things will get better, and the news will improve once Jose is in the rearview mirror. There will still be bad news, but there will be more and more good news.

From Hervé, proprietor at[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Côté Port: L[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]e Côté Port est plutôt dans le port maintenant - [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Côté Port is in the port now. Knowing Hervé, what comes next will be better than what was before - and Salade Pilou will be on the menu in two sizes.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The document in the first post on this thread has been updated to show these changes. (Now Revision R3)

More bad news, but I promise that things will get better, and the news will improve once Jose is in the rearview mirror. There will still be bad news, but there will be more and more good news.

From Hervé, proprietor at Côté Port: Le Côté Port est plutôt dans le port maintenant - Côté Port is in the port now. Knowing Hervé, what comes next will be better than what was before - and Salade Pilou will be on the menu in two sizes.

The document in the first post on this thread has been updated to show these changes. (Now Revision R3)

We went to Cote Port for the first time last week, and went again the next night on our last night. And absolutely loved it.

Le Bar de L'Oubli reports that they have water in the basement, but can reopen after a huge cleaning.

The document in the first post on this thread has been updated to show this info. (Now Revision R4)

Unintended password removed.

Today brings good news. I told you that there would be good news. 25 Quarter is open! Bistro Josephine and Island Flavors are open for takeout! Marché U is open!

Le Barthelémy and Eden Rock have both made announcements that their staff is OK, they're assessing the damage, and there will be a later update.

Les Bananiers appears to have been wiped out, but is already rebuilding. There wasn't a whole lot to the structure there before, so if the kitchen area, bar, and bathrooms are intact it shouldn't be a lengthy rebuild.

The document in the first post on this thread has been updated to show this info. (Now Revision R5)

Neglected to mention more good news. Bakeries are open. Both Boulangerie Choisy locations were open today. Petite Colombe ​in Colombier was open today, and the Lorient location expects to be open tomorrow.

Marche U is open for limited hours with police at the door to allow people in 10 by 10 to shop for one large shopping bag per family. The island is still in a state of shock, basic necessities are missing, and a lot of people are still looking for a place to live while their homes are made livable again...no running water and no electricity on most of the island, limited gasoline for cars and generators... I would guess that champagne is the least of their priorities right now, unless you can run a motor with it :)