Resto Status Post-Irma

... I would guess that champagne is the least of their priorities right now, unless you can run a motor with it :)

Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent.

The first we learn of Noah after things settled down... There is a time for every purpose under heaven...

Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent.

The first we learn of Noah after things settled down... There is a time for every purpose under heaven...
Is this Yannick that you are speaking of - the former co-owner of Do Brasil?

Is this Yannick that you are speaking of - the former co-owner of Do Brasil?

I believe he is referring to Noah, the renowned ARK BUILDER!

... and stories/pics of Joakim, Yannick's son, on St Barth suggest he might react quite differently than the ark builder's two embarrased sons who covered their father while looking the other away...

Nakedness is a tricky topic...but not on all beaches, right?

Indeed... and then there is that whole issue about the 3rd son's response and to what it led... but that is a story for a different time and place...

Today's update brings news that L'Ardoise has reopened. Also, Segeco has been opening for limited hours for water distribution. Lastly, Bonita reports that their canopy and bar were damaged, but that the cleanup effort has begun.

The document in the first post on this thread has been updated to show this info. (Now Revision R6)

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 1.42.03 PM.jpg

That tree might be the new one I adopt. What strength. If trees could talk, wow! Like the spirit of the people...never give up!

Updated to show that Tamarin is expected to open for Thanksgiving, Les Bananiers is doing takeout only, and So Cuisine is doing a limited menu out of their parking lot.

The document in the first post on this thread has been updated to show this info. (Now Revision R8)

Thank you Kevin for your efforts to keep us posted. I've always said your Resto Lists are a labor of love but this has to feel more like a heartache.

Here are a bunch of changes which I've collected over the last few days:

Le Bouchon is open for lunch and dinner.

The restaurants at Le Barthélemy, Eden Rock, and Le Guanahani are not expected to open before summer.

Black Ginger, Bonito, L'Isola, Maya's, Orega, and Tamarin are all targeting a November reopening

Chez Yvon in Anse des Cayes is open.

Modjo expects to open in October. No mention of the status of La Terrasse, the waffle restaurant out front.

La Plage was heavily damaged, but hopes to open by New Year's Eve.

Le Vietnam is open.

Boucherie Ché Yo, the butcher shop at Les Mangliers in St Jean, hopes to reopen in early October.

The document in the first post on this thread has been updated to show this info. (Now Revision R9)

Marybeth, I've been down this road before, post-Luis. Yes, there is heartache, but there is also hope and the expectation of new beginnings. The restaurant business has never been an easy one. Irma is a challenge which may break some owners, while others will rise above the challenge, and new entrepreneurs will take the place of those who leave.

At present, the places which we see open are ones which have a mostly local client base. Others will follow, as power, water, and the necessary repairs permit.

I don't expect to see many of the higher-end restaurants opening before mid-October at the earliest, and that hasn't changed from pre-Irma expectations. I don't expect to see much opening in the beachfront hotels until their corporation's insurance adjusters, engineers, and architects have a say, and that all takes time, even before they begin to rebuild. But rebuild they will.

For a time, we'll see an echo of a former St Barth, one that is less busy than we've been used to in recent years. The physical damage is all repairable or replaceable. Money and time, basically insurance checks and the availability of tradesmen and material, will fix everything. Eventually.

Before you know it, we'll again be complaining about parking in Gustavia and crazy scooter riders on the roads, while at the same time wondering if the price of Dover Sole Meuniere can possibly go any higher.

Kevin, you nailed it. My feelings and thoughts and expectations--you covered them all. Bravo to all the folks working so hard day after day so that we can get back sooner than later.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.