On the Beach

LondonLife

SBH Member
It's time to start planning for next year's visit - sometime in April, I think.
We have visited the island 7 of the last 10 years and have stayed in Vitet, St Jean and, most recently, Gustavia. We had amazing views from the villas in Vitet. St Jean on the bay was a one-off, special occasion. We were with big groups in those days. Recently, we've chosen to stay on our own.
We've been in the Colony Club in Gustavia for the last 3 years running and we liked the ease of being in Gustavia during the evening and not having to drive all over the island at night. We also liked watching the activity in the harbour, and we realised that Shell Beach is amazing in the morning before anyone else arrives. However, we found it very noisy during our last trip because of all of the construction in Gustavia. And now, the destruction and construction of the Carl Gustav does not encourage us to stay at Colony Club in 2018.
So, dear forum folk, my fantasy is to stay on the beach next year. I want to hear the surf when I fall asleep. I want to wake up and run on the beach and swim near where we stay. I'd prefer not to be too remote - Grand Fond is probably a step too far. And, we need stay at the lower end of the rent scale wherever we stay. A one bedroom villa or someplace willing to rent one room in a bigger villa.
I know it's a long-shot, but any ideas for a small, simple, amazing place on the beach? Or, what part of the island should I be looking at and why?
Thanks!

There's a tiny place on the beach in Flamands on the far left side when facing the water. I don't know the name of it but it sort of looks like an A-frame. I think Andy(?) stayed there once.

I know that's not much help, but someone will be able to fill in the details.

Les Mouettes in Lorient is right on the beach. I believe Eve has stayed there and perhaps some other people from the forum.. We have friends who stayed there and loved it. It consists of several small units with little kitchens.Reasonable prices. The website is www.lesmouetteshotel.com.

I have stayed in 2 one bedroom villas on the beach. One is Rayon du Soleil on Flamands an airbnb which is not tiny
FullSizeRender 4.jpg

and Villa Cap on St Jean which is tiny

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

Andy,

it's been awhile since I stayed at the villa near CAP, and I've never been good at distances. CAP is what, 75 - 100 yards from the beach, rather than being right on the beach?

Andy,

it's been awhile since I stayed at the villa near CAP, and I've never been good at distances. CAP is what, 75 - 100 yards from the beach, rather than being right on the beach?
Probably 50-75 from the water but it's considered a beachfront. Walking that 50 yards is grass on sand. Most villas on St Jean and Flamands are set back.

Hi LondonLife,
I know you said you are looking for a villa and I hear you.We are villa people too. However, in case the villa on the beach does not pan out...maybe consider Emeraude Plage. The only trips we did NOT stay in a villa, we stayed there. It's on Plage St. Jean so you have endless dining and shopping and take out options. The rooms all have small kitchenettes on the patios. I loved hearing the surf at all times and stepping out our room and being right on the beach, something we do not get when renting a villa (the villa's that we have rented). Just an idea...good luck with your search, it's half the fun!

We have stayed at all of the above, but once we discovered Les Mouettes, we never looked back. Thanks Julianne for the shout out. Simple, quiet, and right on the beach, and definitely "old St Barts. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We will be there in 2 days. Then we move to Crystal Dream, right on St Jean. The other end of the spectrum, but right on the beach.

Hello, i recently purchased "Villa Triagoz" in Flamand Beach. The Villa is a short walk from the beach and is perfect for a couple. You can google us and check out our website.