Colombier Footwear

Divabella

SBH Insider
We are keeping packing to a minimum, no room for sneakers. Will water shoes be sufficient for the trek in? I've used them for hikes into some St John beaches and they were perfect. Being a newbie, I'm not sure how difficult Colombier is.

We are keeping packing to a minimum, no room for sneakers. Will water shoes be sufficient for the trek in? I've used them for hikes into some St John beaches and they were perfect. Being a newbie, I'm not sure how difficult Colombier is.

Do you mean are the water shoes ok to walk down and up this hike?
I saw someone say barefoot is OK and was wondering in you were referring to the hike?

IMG_0093.jpg

There are two paths to Columbier, one down from the Columbier lookout, and one from the end of the road in Flamands. ScottH's photo shows the beginning of the path from the Columbier lookout, and footwear which I think is appropriate to that path. I think that most who have commented are referring to the path from Flamands.

ScottH, yes wondering if water shoes are ok for the hike. We'd be going via Flammands. I'm assuming the barefoot comments are trying to be funny. Also are we nuts if we lug chairs and a cooler?

If you are going to Colombier via Flamands less is better. Bring a blanket and a cooler. Forget the chair.

ScottH, yes wondering if water shoes are ok for the hike. We'd be going via Flammands. I'm assuming the barefoot comments are trying to be funny. Also are we nuts if we lug chairs and a cooler?

I guessed I missed the humor part. We have done both like most of the regulars on here. You should be fine with the water shoes. I think I did both with sandals but prefer sneakers now just for my own safety. Last trip we did the Flamands trip twice in one week for the views and beach. Agree, forget the chairs. A couple pictures of the path from Flamands.IMG_0944.jpgIMG_0949.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 388
for the hike down from colombier something more substantial would be prudent. on the lower trail, as others have opined, almost anything will suffice: claquettes, water shoes, even barefoot if you're not a tenderfoot.

Skip the chairs and cooler, wrap a cold drink in a towel to keep it cool. Bring lots of water and try to avoid leaving mid day. There are a couple of steep/ drop off/ gravely sections it is nice to have your hands free for. I would not go barefoot it's pretty rocky in places too.

When you arrive at the beach, keep walking further and the way down you will see becomes easier.

Further down to the LEFT!

Also, if you have a chair that's easy to carry (like over your shoulder), bring 'em! I did this a couple weeks ago and it was easy. A half frozen bottle of water and/or wine will stay cool a long time if wrapped in a towel.