Le Tour de France

tim

The Tour is in the Dordogne region of France today, an especially beautiful area of France. I was fortunate enough to do a half dozen bike tours in France, a lot of which put me on the same roads as the Tour has taken over the years.If readers are looking for beautiful countryside, I highly recommend this area. Below is a photo of one of a multitude of chateaux in the region -

1275494623-castle.jpg

Seeing a bit of the tour was a bucket list item for my boss. He caught it somewhere near Belgium, then spent the rest of the trip on a walking tour of the Côte d'Azur. Just got back and absolutely loved it.

I have been intrigued by the Dordogne region since Tim posted pics from a bike tour several years ago. Looks amazing. It's on MY bucket list!

I love watching Le Tour each summer. (With the exception of the crashes.) It's like a virtual French mini-vacation. Each day enjoy some incredible French countryside while the racing happens. The TV travelogue segments are cool also. (I've learned to ignore Bob Roll.)

For years I've thought about planning a food and beverage component to go along with each stage of the Tour. The idea is to prepare a dish or ingredient from a town or region along each days stage route, served with the appropriate local beverage. Could be a cheese, or a recipe along with the local wine, cider, beer or spirit. Sort of a 'Grand Tour de Cuisine'. Maybe someday.

I like the irony that I could be gaining weight as the Tour goes on, while the riders lose there's on the way to Paris. Allez!

I love watching Le Tour each summer. (With the exception of the crashes.) It's like a virtual French mini-vacation. Each day enjoy some incredible French countryside while the racing happens. The TV travelogue segments are cool also. (I've learned to ignore Bob Roll.)

For years I've thought about planning a food and beverage component to go along with each stage of the Tour. The idea is to prepare a dish or ingredient from a town or region along each days stage route, served with the appropriate local beverage. Could be a cheese, or a recipe along with the local wine, cider, beer or spirit. Sort of a 'Grand Tour de Cuisine'. Maybe someday.

I like the irony that I could be gaining weight as the Tour goes on, while the riders lose there's on the way to Paris. Allez!

What a neat idea!

So far the farthest I've come with executing this plan was the bottle of Génépy des Alpes I stumbled on a few years back while the Tour was in the Alps. I can't remember whether that bottle made it to Paris or not!

Exciting sprint finish building up today. Allez!

For years I've thought about planning a food and beverage component to go along with each stage of the Tour. The idea is to prepare a dish or ingredient from a town or region along each days stage route, served with the appropriate local beverage. Could be a cheese, or a recipe along with the local wine, cider, beer or spirit. Sort of a 'Grand Tour de Cuisine'.

There's a French food store, Ma France, over on the Lexington/Arlington line. Two years ago they did a Tour de France Cheese of the Day, with a cheese from the region of that day's stage. Check them out some time. In addition to imported French food they make galettes and crêpes, and have sourced locally-baked croissants and breads.