Some of Gustavia

bkeats

Senior Insider
Pictures of Gustavia. Remember when Little Switzerland was as high end as it got? Also, can anyone identify the restaurant? I have no present recollection of even where this was.

SBH Gustavia 1993.1.jpgSBH Gustavia 1993.2.jpgSBH Gustavia 1993.3.jpgSBH Gustavia 1993.4.jpgSBH Gustavia 1993.5.jpgSBH Gustavia 1993.6.jpg

The restaurant photo looks like it was taken inside Bar Oubli, with the garden of Le Select across the street. I see the boat from New Born restaurant in one photo, and the car from L'Escale in another. Were the photos taken in the late 80s?

Great photos!! Love the first one! (your wife perhaps?) AND I
certainly DO remember Little Switzerland...very chic then, hauling that little red and white bag around...everyone KNEW something sweet was inside!
And the Moke...a REAL Moke! We had such fun in those...thanks for sharing...priceless!

Yeah, the photo of the facade being held up with nothing behind it is pretty funny. I wonder what happened to the rest of the house. Yes, that's my wife. The other picture with her in it was the other half of the couple we were traveling with. The two of them did quite some damage shopping. They would have probably bought the anchor if they could lift it. I also miss the old mokes. We rented one that first trip. Was a blast driving around with no doors or roof. Got a bit wet in the rain but you dried off quickly.

Great pictures---way before smart phone photos! Brought back many memories. The back of the harbor was paved after Hurricane Luis so you can see how it looked earlier with just dirt and scrubby grass. And Bar L'Oubli looked very different from its present design. We spent many an hour there...

First photos are of a house that was next to the Anglican Church. I believe that the foundation is still there.

We had a moke one time many years back where there was a hole in the floor and we could see the road as we drove.... we didn't care and we loved it...you are right Mike R...that's why we fell in love with the island....but we still love it....

We are not 'veterans' of 1993 but agree the island still has a tremendous amount of charm which is why we venture back year after year! Thanks for the photos!