SXM-SBH Flights

Aipotu

SBH Insider
Getting ready for our trip in late October, and working on the final 10-minute leg. SB Commuter posts flights for 75 Euro each direction. Just got an estimate from WinAir (what an odd booking process, by the way) and they are charging 140 Euro each way.

Have others seen such a price discrepancy? Seems bizarre that they would be almost double for the same service.

Also, any updates on their reliability? SBC only has two flights posted for one of our travel days, so a little nervous about that. (Hard to tell how many WinAir has given their wacky web site...)

Any thoughts?

The price difference is greater than I would normally expect, but not unheard of. As a general rule of thumb, SBC has the least expensive flights, and Winair has the most flights.

SBC pays for less infrastructure at SXM, for example no counter in the checkin area as they only accept in-transit passengers at SXM.

I am not surprised at the difference in price and one would think that with more flights Winair would be cheaper or at par but no and they even charge extra for credit card use. I use SB Commuter all the time and haven't had a problem yet. They do have a desk at the Transit Info counter inside.

I have also noted the big difference in fares between SBC and Winair, although there are times that the difference is much less. I try to use SBC when possible, but my rule of thumb is that if our arrival into SXM from the states is much later than 2:30 or 3 PM, we use Winair simply because they have more flights, so we stand a better chance of getting to SBH even if our arrival is delayed by an hour or so.

Phil

We always use SBC now. First time we visited St Barts we used Wynair but ever since SBC. So easy to work with and prices are great.

It's an interesting dilemma. On our arrival afternoon, SBC only has two flights, both a good two hours after we arrive at SXM. (WinAir presumably has more, but can't see their schedule anywhere.) On our return, SBC only has only one flight that gets us in to SXM with time to spare (a second is scheduled to arrive on SXM an hour and 45 minutes before our Delta departure, but that feels too tight?) So the issue I have to figure out is whether more flexibility is literally worth 260 Euros! :)

For years our USAIR now AA flight got us into SXM st 2:30. We take the 4:15 SBC flight to SBH. We relax and have a nice wine inside the airport until our flight gets called usually around 4.
Going home it's the 1 o'clock SBC to SXM and 3:45 on AA to home. The extra time in the airport is spent at the Executive Lounge open to everyone.

>> [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Have others seen such a price discrepancy? Seems bizarre that they would be almost double for the same service.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]WinAir flies twin engine aircraft with two pilots. SBC files single engine, single pilot. [/FONT]Tradewind flies single engine, two pilots (which seems to be a US / FAA requirement for commercial airlines.)

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]In the US, and in most of the world commercial aircraft with two engines and two pilots are more common and standard. Without getting into which arrangement is safer, the cost of doing business for SBC is less. WinAir is a regional carrier flying some longer routes than SBC. [/FONT]

It's an interesting dilemma. On our arrival afternoon, SBC only has two flights, both a good two hours after we arrive at SXM. (WinAir presumably has more, but can't see their schedule anywhere.) On our return, SBC only has only one flight that gets us in to SXM with time to spare (a second is scheduled to arrive on SXM an hour and 45 minutes before our Delta departure, but that feels too tight?) So the issue I have to figure out is whether more flexibility is literally worth 260 Euros! :)

1:45 is plenty of time between flights (presuming you are carry on only).

>> Have others seen such a price discrepancy? Seems bizarre that they would be almost double for the same service.

WinAir flies twin engine aircraft with two pilots. SBC files single engine, single pilot. Tradewind flies single engine, two pilots (which seems to be a US / FAA requirement for commercial airlines.)

In the US, and in most of the world commercial aircraft with two engines and two pilots are more common and standard. Without getting into which arrangement is safer, the cost of doing business for SBC is less. WinAir is a regional carrier flying some longer routes than SBC.
Thanks for the explanation.

1:45 is plenty of time between flights (presuming you are carry on only).
Unless he is flying United which has an Interline agreement with Winair according to Winair's site. Must have one ticket for both airlines tho.

We're flying Delta, first class (so I'm assuming that helps a little?). My nerves are if the plane leaves late from SBH -- the benefits of flex schedules out of SXM are wonderful; out of SBH, not so much fun!

You have your ticket already. If you book United and Winair on the same ticket United will send your checked bags thru to Winair and vice versa on return. You would then skip all the immigration hassle and go thru a mini security area and then to your gate. If that appeals to you see if you can add Winair to your flight thru United. Do not book Winair separately unless United refuses to add it to your ticket.

You can also take SBC one way and Winair the other. No need to use one or the other. Pick the flight/airline combo that works best. We've done this several times before, usually SBC in and Winair out.

Not sure why you can't see all the Winair flights. Just put in your dates as if to make a booking and they should appear.

I tried seeing what fares would be if we went one way, and even worse difference. In effect would be paying a 2.5X premium for WinAir -- and in effect would buy us an hour more on the ground. :-(

Oh well, as they say, first world problems...

I tried seeing what fares would be if we went one way, and even worse difference. In effect would be paying a 2.5X premium for WinAir -- and in effect would buy us an hour more on the ground. :-(

Oh well, as they say, first world problems...

Wow. I just put in our November dates and if I do the round trip the return is $127 and if I book just the return as a one-way it's $98. Maybe your dates are all sold out?

Getting ready for our trip in late October, and working on the final 10-minute leg. SB Commuter posts flights for 75 Euro each direction. Just got an estimate from WinAir (what an odd booking process, by the way) and they are charging 140 Euro each way.

Have others seen such a price discrepancy? Seems bizarre that they would be almost double for the same service.

Also, any updates on their reliability? SBC only has two flights posted for one of our travel days, so a little nervous about that. (Hard to tell how many WinAir has given their wacky web site...)

Any thoughts?

A very simple explanation... WinnAir 2 pilots, 2 engines/plane, SBA 1 pilot, one engine.