A question for "insider" contributors to the fotum

Thank you all so much for all your responses to my inquiry! It is very gratifying to know that you, as we, are so appreciative of the island, whether for a couple weeks...a few times a year... or all the time. We all seem to hold this place near and dear to our hearts and for people new to the island or those who are infrequent visitors, it is good to know information elicited on this forum comes from such caring, knowledgeable and reliable people.

For us...after visiting a few times in the early 80's, we are now returning each year for the month of March...the kids are grown, the grandchildren are growing and busy... it is our time now...for those of you who can relate to that...congratulations! For those who still have growing families...for you...soon come!

Put this one on a bumper sticker or t-shirt. I'll take two!

(I meant to make this comment on Chopper's post, but somehow I selected Amy's instead.............but Amy's is good too!)

Thanks, Bart...! I still think Amy's "Ahhhh, St Barth!" is the t-shirt/bumper sticker I'd buy.

Any where from once a year to three times a year over the course of 37 years but it has run its course with us and we re reducing significantly and exploring other places .....will still visit every now and then

A great question, Aout! I'm in the camp with Amy & Phil -- "as often as we can!"

I've been going to SBH for nearly 40 years . . . and like Tim (a mentor in living on the island) & his wife, have owned a villa there for many years. My "love affair" with St. Barths, as a result, takes me there whenever I can go . . . which is often. But, as others have said, it's not the only place to travel. Other great destinations remain important to my wife & me.

Having said this, I will add that there were many years when I was a 1 week/year visitor . . . oh, how I very fondly remember the anticipation of & enjoyment of those weeks. Memories that I cannot imagine ever will fade. Then, visits regularly became increasingly more often.

The island changed . . . as did I, "growing up." After our first visit in 1978, my wife didn't go with me to SBH for many years (she traveled other places, notably Italy), so I frequently was a solo traveler, which introduced me to many people on the island who have become close friends. Other times with friends from the US who wanted to discover my "happy place!"

In regard to all of this history, I don't discount TPunch's comment that "eing a visitor keeps it special" (totally understand the sentiment!). I would say, however, that there's not a time that I arrive . . . nor that I leave . . . which isn't marked with a "tingle" at arrival or nostalgic, longing look out the window as the little airborne chariot lifts-off from its picturesque scene, with a tilt of a wing, as though waving a bientot! The "special" quality remains fresh for me.

St. Barths is a remarkable spot . . . as much a "point of view" as a destination. If one selectively chooses where he / she goes, and avoids sometimes coarse intrusions of the "real world," it remains -- at least for me -- among the most tranquil, safe, & uplifting parts of my life. (And, as my wife notes, "if you go a block off the main street, it's still the old St. Barths.")

Merci, Amy . . . and I would like to note that I should have made mention of participation in the Forum as one of the earmarks of my enjoyment of SBH -- sharing times on the island & even when away.

Acquaintances have been formed that are shared camaraderie, while others truly reflect friendship. There are so many kindred spirits here, with many of whom I've shared numerous "bonding" occasions of funny & sincere conversation and times of joy & sadness. In part as a result, it's always nice to see "newbies" joining the Forum!

"with a tilt of a wing, as though waving a bientot!" - I will be stealing that line. I don't know when or where I'll be using it, but I am absolutely positively stealing it.

Once a year from 15 to 26 day usually late June into July like this trip. Sometimes a second time from 7-10 days.

Once a year for more than 30 years. We increased our stay to five weeks for ten of those years---now, we spend a week during the winter. Our son and daughter and several grandchildren have also succumbed to the charms of the island.

For us, St. Barth has been a place where time is suspended. We share reminisces of places and people we have enjoyed and always relish the new experiences that await us. Keeping us connected between visits, the forum has been a welcome link to the island and we savor the friendships made here. There is indeed something about St. Barth that keeps drawing people back...like the siren song of a mermaid, rippling beneath the surface and exerting a magnetic force. After a stay on the island, one emerges refreshed, with a renewed zest for life. It is a spa for the soul!

I "second" the description of Julianne's post as poetic & spot on! And am happy that Wendy & I have enjoyed the friendship of Julianne & Dan on SBH, with so many other introductions through the Forum.

Julianne and Dennis, Very well said. It is a special place to us and we treasure our visits every February for over 30 years. More special are the occasional trips we take with our kids. About every other year in July/August. Looking forward to another one with them later this month.

Perfectly stated, Dennis and Julianne. Your words paint the perfect portrait of what St Barth means to me, too.

IMG_6455.PNG
"with a tilt of a wing, as though waving a bientot!" - I will be stealing that line. I don't know when or where I'll be using it, but I am absolutely positively stealing it.

It's a perfect caption for my phone's screen saver!

CEC1 your post is lovely, well-written as always! As a long-time visitor, villa owner, and former hotelier, you certainly have a special insider's view of the island and a feeling for those things that only reveal themselves to those who look past the outer shell...

We have visited once per year since 2011 (skipping 2015) and this year we did Anguilla instead so we'll go back to St Barths next summer....so short answer looks to be every other year from now on (unless I hit a powerball jackpot)