Fireflies....

PIRATE40

Senior Insider
This year is the first year we had them in Colombier......Have they always been here, or I am I drinking less Champagne????

I'm pretty sure they're Champagne-deficiency induced hallucinations. I've never seen fireflies on St Barth.

Really did see them. I was amazed-first time for us too. In fact, we pointed them out to David while dining at Santa Fe.

I catch them all the time, as I did when I was 12. How could you stay so long in st. barths Kevin and not see fireflies, perhaps you were not out at the right time?

I don't know how I missed them, but I would have stayed up all night watching them if I saw them.

First sighting for us too...that's why we watched them twinkle from the deck at f Santa Fe and talked about them as the day turned to night. We all had fond childhood memories that we shared. Another St Barth's MAGIC MOMENT.

Even the fireflies know that St Barths is the most romantic place to be...

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Each species has a specific pattern of light flashing, and males use this pattern to let the ladies of the same species know that they would be a fine match for one another. When a female notices a suitable suitor, she replies with her own species-specific flash. Females may also use flash information to decide which male to mate with. And then, fireworks![/FONT][/FONT]

Andy I am with you
they call them lightening bugs where we are from...and they were out in full force last night

First sighting for us too...that's why we watched them twinkle from the deck at f Santa Fe and talked about them as the day turned to night. We all had fond childhood memories that we shared. Another St Barth's MAGIC MOMENT.
Sounds delightful! I hope they find their way to my home-away-from-home soon.

Cool. I have only seen these guys a handful of times. One thing we don't have in CA... except for at Disneyland riding Pirates of the Caribbean... lol
We thought we saw some one year in SBH but then thought we were seeing things. There were only a couple.

From what we know it is not so much pesticides but more development and light pollution- including car headlights that are causing lightning bugs aka fireflies to diminish. I remember when they were so plentiful, children would put them in a glass container and after a while let them go. Great summer recollections!