CHUTZPAH

amyb

Senior Insider
What nerve.

At home, car on the driveway, getting dressed to attend a funeral. The kitchen door pops open and a brazen villa agent, he arrived in a bright blue car, is talking and is showing the villa. I emerge, covered up, and he says it's ok. Well it isn't! And it wasn't. Not even a knock!

Moral of this story, when at home lock your doors. And shame on whatever company you work for and the people that trained you!

I had to get that off my chest. Thank you.

What nerve is right! Did you contact the owner or villa rental agency to find out why that happened?! A real intrusion of privacy...unacceptable.

What gall! Have never heard of such a thing. I would definitely contact the owner/manager of the rental agency and express my "outrage" !!

Same thing happened to some guests at our Villa about a year ago . . . an agent from an unknown company brought clients to visit the Villa, with no notice, & walked in through the unlocked front door without knocking. Our guest -- caught without clothes -- reported that he unleashed a string of profanity, sending the broker & clients running. Never found out who it was (no one wanted to admit to doing so!). Chutzpah, for sure!

We generally do not lock the Villa during the day when we are there. Usually, we have a half door open and bottom closed. It is rude and downright frightening to have an unknown person/people show up unannounced and start wandering around your 'home' away from home. Agree with Andy- hope you threw them out!

Whoa...that's insane! Did he at least appear shocked at your presence? What about the folks along on his tour? Goodness gracious alive!! I'm surprised Phil didn't offer them champagne. (Remembering the girls in the broken down vehicle at EMM many years ago.) :cool:

Ans so it goes.

The results of the investigation have determined that it was indeed a clueless agent from Ici et La showing clients a villa. They do not represent this one, by the way. He meant to show the villa next door, one his company does represent.

So, I am told it was nothing and not to worry and our villa owner may someday post the villa's name at the entrance by the road.

Still bothers me that an agent would NOT knock before entering a house. EVER! And especially when there is a TOPLOC rental car right out front. Just rude and inconsiderate.

Bottom line, we are safe. Oh, and now I often lock the entry doors.

R E A L L Y! No burglary, no harm It's over....

So villa security 101 tells me, lock the doors. Which I will do after housekeeper finishes up and leaves.

It's totally unacceptable for anyone to enter an unlocked house without knocking (unless you are "family") and it is especially unacceptable for real estate agent. to do so. What a novice!!! Obviously the agent hadn't previewed the house beforehand. Truly unprofessional all around.

Glad you are over the intrusion with your usual gracious manner, Amy and Phil.

I agree that this is beyond unacceptable!! it goes beyond a training issue and becomes one of simple lack of courtesy. Elaine and I are very fortunate in that we rent from the same owner each year and he has a very noice apartment on premise where he,at our invitation stays while we are there. we never see them unless we need help or are taking them to lunch. its almost like visiting family with complete privacy. after reading this I am even mpore grateful for this!!

It was a lack of professionalism and courtesy, but we are over it. The owner and the rental agency involved have been in close contact, and it should not happen again. Note-this villa is not listed with the agent that was obviously lost and did not know his listings very well at all.

You guys are lucky in your villa and I am happy for you. Things like this just make us more alert and aware and end up being future travel stories to share. I would bet that many agencies reviewed with their staffs better protocols than just walking into a villa after this story came out. At least, I hope so.

Any time our Villa is shown, we are asked for permission in advance if it is convenient for us to show it at a certain time on a certain day. We have never had any surprises like you and Phil have had Amy. Unacceptable even if it was the wrong Villa!

Over and done with this bad experience. Just never should have happened and I have moved on and now try to lock my doors even when at home.

About 8 or 9 years ago we met friends from Michigan who were renting a villa with a HUGE pool in St Jean and invited us over...all of us in.
ICLa showed up (unannounced) and said they wanted to show the villa....we all said it was not OK at this time, especially without notice....they walked about anyway...

Jeff, they wanted the villa next door and came down the wrong driveway! To walk in however was just WRONG

About 8 or 9 years ago we met friends from Michigan who were renting a villa with a HUGE pool in St Jean and invited us over...all of us in.
ICLa showed up (unannounced) and said they wanted to show the villa....we all said it was not OK at this time, especially without notice....they walked about anyway...
Showing the villa without your ok is probably in most agency leases.

Not OK. Not considerate. One should have notice so that one can tidy up or stow away any personal items. Our rental car was right outside-the villa was NOT empty.

For heaven's sake, I need time to dismantle the pole and the trapeze. Just sayin'