I love the Ack Ack machine

MartinS

Senior Insider
Yesterday guests arrived at the villa just below us, maybe 250ft away. They promptly turned the music full blast amplified bass and all... Rap techno crap. . And then left it on until 3am...... Wide open.

This morning, promptly at 7am, the Ack Ack machine started working about 100ft from their pool deck.

Today, I love the Ack Ack machine.....

No ack ack or loud music in the low rent district...just the soothing sounds of waves lapping under the patio....:up:

Hey Martin- whatcha going to do tonight when the ack ack is gone and the music takes its place?

Parties over!!!! The cops just showed up. ....

Well at least you got the new island lingo down ....with big bold POLICE lettering on the new cars instead of Gendarme, they are indeed now cops .....just like in America !

No idea - but you re the one who spends endless hours googling everything St Bart's and French, so look it up :cool:

what I can tell you is in the 37 years of visiting the island I never saw a vehicle which said POLICE .....always GENDARME ......until this year ....along with CLOSED signs replacing FERME

No idea - but you re the one who spends endless hours googling everything St Bart's and French, so look it up :cool:

oct 1980 will be exactly 37 years ago this fall. exactly when you say you started coming to the island, monsieur 52,000 posts.

Historique de la Police Territoriale :
Le service de la Police Territoriale, anciennement Police Municipale de Saint-Barthélemy, a été créé en octobre 1980.
Il est alors dirigé par 1 Brigadier assisté de 5 gardiens.
L’expansion démographique et économique de l’île, ajoutée à une demande croissante de la population, a amené les différents Maires à renforcer cet effectif. En 2004, on comptait 7 agents de police municipale et 1 agent administratif.

Martin, if the police didn't do the trick, I suggest you respond in kind. I like the letter M in my music catalogue for these purposes: Megadeth, Metallica, and Motörhead (RIP Lemmy).

...what I can tell you is in the 37 years of visiting the island I never saw a vehicle which said POLICE .....always GENDARME ......until this year ....along with CLOSED signs replacing FERME

The island continues to make decisions based on what works for them. St Barth is not mainland France! They have done a good job of differentiating themselves over the years, IMO.

I think as outsiders we should respect that the COM, and island businesses, have the right to do what they choose to communicate effectively with the public.

No argument here .... you re right ....and that's been my point all along for a very long time ...that it's not mainland France in any way, shape, or form ...."French lite" as my wife likes to call it...with a whole lot of American and Creole influence

just FYI the gendarme cars still say gendarme, and the ones that say police are for the Police Territorial who have always been "police" - nothing new or Americanized about it....

Oy. The meaningless distractions we pull each other to in posts! Has anyone commented that the octagonal Stop signs say STOP, LOL. Chill!

I think that I know which villa Martin is currently renting. I think that I know who owns it. I'm fairly certain that one phone call to the villa owner would result in the net effect that Martin desired - No more Thump Thump at full volume, and not into the wee hours.

Police Territoriale or Gendarmes, I wouldn't care who showed up to resolve the problem as long as they were effective.

No argument here .... you re right ....and that's been my point all along for a very long time ...that it's not mainland France in any way, shape, or form ...."French lite" as my wife likes to call it...with a whole lot American and Creole influence

Right you are, Mike.
My in-laws started going to St. Barts in the 60s and built in the late 70s. May was from NYC/CT and Oliver was from Belfast, Northern Ireland, and they settled in St. Louis (Washington University). They both recognized that the Island French were friendly and engaging, and seemed to prefer North Americans to the European French. The European French seemed haughty, highly opinionated and arrogant.