Avoiding Departure tax on Winair

TPunch42

Senior Insider
Hi gang,
We have been flying SB Commuter for so many years now that I am lost on Winair procedures. If I am booking a flight with them, how do I indicate I have a connecting flight and avoid paying the departure tax. I already have it bundled in my AA flight anyways which would mean I would pay it twice. on SB commuter you just check a box but I don't see that option on WINAIR.

with the tax it doubles our costs from SB Commuter but unfortunately they do not have any flights available at all the weekend we are hoping to travel.

Thanks for the input.

Hi gang,
We have been flying SB Commuter for so many years now that I am lost on Winair procedures. If I am booking a flight with them, how do I indicate I have a connecting flight and avoid paying the departure tax. I already have it bundled in my AA flight anyways which would mean I would pay it twice. on SB commuter you just check a box but I don't see that option on WINAIR.

with the tax it doubles our costs from SB Commuter but unfortunately they do not have any flights available at all the weekend we are hoping to travel.

Thanks for the input.

Hi

Presently that i not possible as seperate tickets are bought. Winar system is intergrated in the World wide distribution system so we cannot do like St Barths commuter which has a stand alone booking engine

Hope this helps

Claudio Buncamper

Hi

Presently that i not possible as seperate tickets are bought. Winar system is intergrated in the World wide distribution system so we cannot do like St Barths commuter which has a stand alone booking engine

Hope this helps

Claudio Buncamper

Claudio- how do you get your money back from SXM if you are only in transit??

I am irked that I might have to eat it 2 times. AA has it bundled in their fees too and I've tried to have it reimbursed which is a joke. Now Winair wants me to pay for it too?? That's double whammy when I'm in transit. As much as the dang lines at SXM for the tax were a pain at least I'd get that nice stamp that says in transit and I could avoid it altogether if I was carry on only. hmm... All these added fees make SJU more attractive. Still more expensive on Tradewinds but at least the money is going to a bit of luxury rather than to taxes on an island I don't plan to visit longer than a few hours.

Claudio- how do you get your money back from SXM if you are only in transit??

You will have to write the airport with copies of all boarding passes and they will refund you the difference, the transfer tax is US$ 22 and your actually paying US$ 52 in both directions, so also the amount paid to AA, the difference can be refunded.......

Hope this helps

Claudio

You will have to write the airport with copies of all boarding passes and they will refund you the difference, the transfer tax is US$ 22 and your actually paying US$ 52 in both directions, so also the amount paid to AA, the difference can be refunded.......

Hope this helps

Claudio

Thank you for your advice.
I found that trying to get it back from US airlines is a dead end. The regular ticket reads that all charges are non-refundable. Write to SXM? Good luck with that.

Keep in mind if you are traveling in transit wth carry on you need a paper ticket from your originating flight ..you can't use your phone to show a Winair or SBC where you just came from ...they need a hard copy to keep to avoid charging you the SXM FEE.....this is rather annoying because we never print tickets anymore but use our phone to get through TSA and board the plane