August

TPunch42

Senior Insider
Can anyone speak to what a St Barths is like in early August? Still trying to sneak in a trip this year. We don't mind things quiet, in fact we prefer that. We are junies and fourthers for the most part. But family wedding and school commitments aren't allowing that. Just curious if restaurants are all closed. What the weather is like? should we be concerned about hurricanes?

Are there some local festivals in August?

T-Punch, we visited last year from late July into August on a bit of a last minute trip. Rented a villa in Mt. Jean facing East and enjoyed a nice breeze most of the time. We have visited before in July and didn't find August to be any different. Likely more change of a tropical storm, but it was enjoyable. Not nearly as cool as winter trips obviously, but not unbearable. I would be strategic and pick an eastward facing villa with decent breeze to mitigate some of the heat.

There are a lot of French and Italians on the island in August, it is quieter, warmer, but still very nice.

I go every year in August . . . numerous local neighborhood festivals on week-ends as well as the annual, very festive "Fete du St. Barthelemy." Great local experiences and a very interesting, eclectic population of visitors from around the world (many escaping the Winter season of their home countries). In my experience, hotel dining rooms close, generally, around the 23rd of August . . . most other restaurants remain open 'til end of August, with many having "closing night" parties (a lot of fun -- among them, the closing nights at Eddy's and Maya's (usually the last Saturday of August)). Weather can be hot during the day (mid- to high-80s, perhaps 90), but I've never failed to find a cool spot in the shade of Coccoloba trees at La Gloriette and numerous other comfortable places for relaxation. Evenings are beautiful . . . enchantingly quiet, mixed with light breezes (sometimes gusting winds) and usually clear, starry skies. Been doing it for many years.

We were there in August for the first time two years ago. Normally go in March or June but that year, like you school and family stuff kept us from going until August. It was definitely hotter. Fortunately the villa we rented was air conditioned throughout. I would recommend you get a villa with air conditioned living area and not just the bedrooms.

Most places were still open. Didn't look like annual closings started until the end of the month. Was quieter than earlier in the summer but it wasn't dead.

Hoping to get back this July. School and family stuff again delaying our trip.

Sounds like days of past on island... We prefer when is has a more local feel. We pretty much always get AC in the living room now if we come in the summer. All it took was one VERY VERY hot July trip to convince us of that. At least you have the option to turn it on midday and cool off if there isn't a breeze.

The festivals some pretty fun. I have teens now so they might enjoy it. Is Baz opening this August? I thought they did last year.

We have been all July and also early August-very good times to be on island. Actually, almost any time is a good time.

The one and only time we visited in August was early in the month and we thought it warmer than usual, as Jim and others said. IT was also very busy compared to some of our other trips...might have been cruise ships plus a lot of visiting islanders too...I'm sure it varies. You probably won't need to worry, but be aware that it is hurricane season as we experienced leaving out of MIA...did not make it as far as SBH, but keep an eye on the weather. As Amy stated...any time is a good time to be in St Barth!

We are going the last 2 weeks in August. Same as last year. We love it! It's fun watching things close but enough is open.

Usually we are on island in July, but a couple of years ago extended our trip into August. There may have been a few closings, but it was a pleasure to park easily and to drive anywhere quickly--to say nothing of not having to make reservations in restaurants. Agree with the other regulars, anytime is a good time to be on St Barth!!!