I am not going to hold my breath on this one! We will see!

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
Received today from United Air Lines-

Dear Mr _______,

Each flight you take with us represents an important promise we make to you, our customer. It's not simply that we make sure you reach your destination safely and on time, but also that you will be treated with the highest level of service and the deepest sense of dignity and respect.

sp.png

Earlier this month, we broke that trust when a passenger was forcibly removed from one of our planes. We can never say we are sorry enough for what occurred, but we also know meaningful actions will speak louder than words.
sp.png

For the past several weeks, we have been urgently working to answer two questions: How did this happen, and how can we do our best to ensure this never happens again?
sp.png

It happened because our corporate policies were placed ahead of our shared values. Our procedures got in the way of our employees doing what they know is right.
sp.png

Fixing that problem starts now with changing how we fly, serve and respect our customers. This is a turning point for all of us here at United – and as CEO, it's my responsibility to make sure that we learn from this experience and redouble our efforts to put our customers at the center of everything we do.
sp.png

That’s why we announced that we will no longer ask law enforcement to remove customers from a flight and customers will not be required to give up their seat once on board – except in matters of safety or security.
sp.png

We also know that despite our best efforts, when things don’t go the way they should, we need to be there for you to make things right. There are several new ways we’re going to do just that.
sp.png

We will increase incentives for voluntary rebooking up to $10,000 and will be eliminating the red tape on permanently lost bags with a new "no-questions-asked" $1,500 reimbursement policy. We will also be rolling out a new app for our employees that will enable them to provide on-the-spot goodwill gestures in the form of miles, travel credit and other amenities when your experience with us misses the mark. You can learn more about these commitments and many other changes at hub.united.com.
sp.png

While these actions are important, I have found myself reflecting more broadly on the role we play and the responsibilities we have to you and the communities we serve.
sp.png

I believe we must go further in redefining what United's corporate citizenship looks like in our society. You can and ought to expect more from us, and we intend to live up to those higher expectations in the way we embody social responsibility and civic leadership everywhere we operate. I hope you will see that pledge express itself in our actions going forward, of which these initial, though important, changes are merely a first step.
sp.png

Our goal should be nothing less than to make you truly proud to say, "I fly United."
sp.png

Ultimately, the measure of our success is your satisfaction and the past several weeks have moved us to go further than ever before in elevating your experience with us. I know our 87,000 employees have taken this message to heart, and they are as energized as ever to fulfill our promise to serve you better with each flight and earn the trust you’ve given us.
sp.png

We are working harder than ever for the privilege to serve you and I know we will be stronger, better and the customer-focused airline you expect and deserve.
sp.png

With Great Gratitude,
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]
oscar_sig.png

[/FONT]

Oscar Munoz
CEO
United Airlines

just don't try to go to the bathroom even if its an emergency without permission. a passenger was removed the other day because he got up and used the bathroom, then the plane returned to the gate, (the plane was in taxi mode heading to the runway). then the passenger was removed from the plane.

I believe in enforcing rules, you need them esp in an aircraft, but come on people, to delay a flight because someone needed to "go" is a little extreme. this plane by the way had been delayed a few times.

Let's see how long it is before the first DL or UA passenger actually receives $10K in compensation to give up their seat. For $10K, i might even settle for vouchers rather than holding out for a check.

When you purchase an airline ticket, you think you're buying exactly what the ticket says. In fact, you're purchasing a suggestion of where and when you think you're going...at the sole discretion of the airline. Read your carrier's contract of carriage for further details. It is what it is.

RULE 245:
DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION

Overbooking of Flights
Because passengers with confirmed reservations on a flight sometimes fail to show, Deltareserves the right to sell more tickets for travel on each flight than there are seats available onthe aircraft. In some cases, this may result in a flight in which Delta cannot accommodate one or
more passengers with confirmed reservations (an “oversold flight”). Delta may deny boarding topassengers with confirmed reservations on an oversold flight as set forth in this rule. The rightsof passengers who are denied boarding shall be governed by this rule.
Request For Volunteers
Before denying boarding to any passenger holding a confirmed reservation on an oversoldflight, Delta will ask other passengers on the flight to voluntarily give up their seat in exchangefor compensation in an amount and form to be determined by Delta in its sole discretion. If a
sufficient number of volunteers agree to give up their seats in response to Delta’s offer, then nopassenger with a confirmed reservation will be involuntarily denied boarding due to the oversaleof the flight. If there are more volunteers than required, selection of the volunteer(s) to receivecompensation shall be subject to Delta’s sole discretion.
Involuntary Denied Boarding
If an insufficient number of passengers volunteer to give up their seats in response to Delta’soffer, Delta may involuntarily deny boarding to one or more passengers on the oversold flightaccording to the following boarding priority rules:

1. 1) Passengers Holding Tickets for Travel in Premium Cabin, SkyMiles members identifiedwith a Diamond Medallion (“DM”), Platinum Medallion (“PM”), or Gold Medallion (“GM”)elite-status designation, and passengers holding tickets purchased under a DLcorporate travel agreement.
    Passengers holding tickets for confirmed space in the First or Business class cabin,SkyMiles members identified with a DM, PM, or GM elite-status designation, andpassengers holding tickets purchased under a DL corporate travel agreement will beaccommodated before other passengers holding tickets and/or boarding passes forconfirmed space in the coach cabin.
  2. 2) Passengers With Boarding Passes
    Subject to the terms set forth in Rule 245(c )(1) and (4), passengers holding boardingpasses who check in and present themselves at the departure gate in compliance withRule 135(c) will be accommodated before passengers traveling in the same cabin whohave not been issued boarding passes or who fail to comply with applicable check-inrequirements. Subject to the availability of seats on the aircraft, boarding passes maybe obtained by passengers who hold tickets for confirmed reserved space in thefollowing manner:
a) for passengers traveling on electronic tickets, through the Online Check-in featureon Delta.com within 24 hours of scheduled departure

1. b) for passengers traveling on electronic tickets, through a Delta airport kiosk withinfour hours of scheduled departure
  2. c) from a Delta airport ticket counter and/or the check-in desk located in the departurearea.

1. 3) Passengers Without Boarding Passes
    Passengers, who are not governed by Rule 245(c)(1) or (4), with confirmed reservationswho have not been issued a boarding pass and present themselves at the departuregate in compliance with rule 135(c) will be accommodated according to the followingpriority rules:
    1. a) Passengers who have been rebooked to the present flight as a result of an irregularoperation (e.g., delay, cancellation) of a previously booked flight.
    2. b) SkyMiles members identified with a Silver Medallion (“FO”) elite-status designation.
    3. c) Passengers with a SkyTeam Elite or Elite Plus status.
    4. d) Passengers without any elite-status designation.
    Within each of the foregoing groups, passengers are prioritized first by class of serviceand then by time of check-in.
  2. 4) Special Needs Passengers
    Because of the special needs of passengers with disabilities, unaccompanied children,and aged or infirm passengers, and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces on travelorders, Delta reserves the right to accommodate such passengers without regard to theboarding priorities established by this provision.
D) Transportation For Passengers Denied Boarding
Delta will provide transportation to passengers who volunteer to relinquish their seats or whoare denied boarding involuntarily due to the oversale of a flight as follows:

1. 1) Next Available Flight
    Delta will transport the passenger on its next flight on which space is available to thepassenger’s next stopover, or if none, to the passenger’s destination, at no additional costto the passenger.
  2. 2) Transportation on Other Airlines
    At Delta’s sole discretion, Delta may instead arrange for transportation on any other carrieror combination of carriers to the passenger’s next stopover, or if none, to the passenger’sdestination, at no additional cost to the passenger.
  3. 3) Overnight Stay Required
    If the transportation provided to a passenger pursuant to this section requires that thepassenger stay overnight before continuing his/her travel, Delta will provide hotelaccommodations to the passenger at no additional cost. If hotel accommodations areunavailable, Delta will compensate the passenger with a credit voucher valid for future
Delta Domestic General Rules Tariff Page 43 of 51

purchases from Delta in an amount commensurate in value with the local averagecontracted hotel rate up to $100 USD, to be determined by Delta.
E) Compensation For Involuntary Denied Boarding
When a passenger with a confirmed reservation is involuntarily denied boarding on an oversold
flight pursuant to this rule, Delta’s sole liability to the passenger shall be to provide alternativetransportation as provided in paragraph D, above, and to pay denied boarding compensation, ifapplicable, pursuant to the terms and conditions of this rule.
1) Conditions For Payment of Involuntary Denied Boarding Compensation
The passenger shall not be entitled to any compensation for involuntary denied boarding if:

1. a) Passenger’s Failure to Comply with Contract of Carriage
    The passenger has not complied fully with Delta’s contract of carriage or tariff
    provisions regarding ticketing, reconfirmation, check-in, or acceptability fortransportation
  2. b) Substitution of Equipment
    The flight for which the passenger holds confirmed space is unable to accommodatethat passenger because of substitution of equipment of lesser capacity when requiredby operational or safety reasons; or, on an aircraft with a designed passenger capacityof 60 or fewer seats, the flight for which the passenger holds confirmed reserved spaceis unable to accommodate that passenger due to weight/balance restrictions whenrequired by operational or safety reasons.
  3. c) Carriage in Alternative Cabin
    Delta offers to accommodate the passenger in a section of the aircraft other than thatspecified on his/her ticket at no extra charge; provided however that if a passenger isseated in a section for which a lower fare applies, the passenger will be entitled to arefund of the difference in fare.
  4. d) Alternative Transportation
    Delta arranges comparable air transportation, or other transportation used by thepassenger, at no extra cost to the passenger, that at the time such arrangements aremade is
    scheduled to arrive at the passenger’s next stopover, or, if none, finaldestination within one hour after the planned arrival time of the passenger’s originalflight or flights.
F) Amount of Involuntary Denied Boarding Compensation
If all conditions for compensation are met, then Delta shall pay compensation to passengersinvoluntarily denied boarding in an amount to be calculated as follows:

1. 1) When Delta arranges Qualifying Alternative Transportation
    If Delta arranges Qualifying Alternative Transportation, then Delta will pay denied boardingcompensation in an amount equal to 200% of the fare (including any surcharges and airtransportation taxes)
    to the passenger’s next stopover, or if none, to his/her final destination,but no more than USD 675.00. Qualifying Alternative Transportation means comparable airtransportation, or other transportation used by the passenger, at no extra cost to thepassenger, that at the time such arrangements are made is scheduled to arrive at thepassenger’s next stopover, or, if none, final destination within two hours after the plannedarrival time of the passenger’s original flight or flights.
  2. 2) Where Delta cannot arrange Qualifying Alternative Transportation
Delta Domestic General Rules Tariff Page 44 of 51

RULE 255:
I.

If Delta cannot arrange Qualifying Alternative Transportation, then Delta will pay deniedboarding compensation in an amount equal to 400% of the fare (including any surchargesand air transportation taxes) to the passenger’s next stopover, or if none, to his/her finaldestination, but no more than USD 1350.00.
Time of Payment for Involuntary Denied Boarding Compensation
If all conditions for compensation are met, Delta will pay any involuntary denied boarding dueunder this Rule on the day and at the place where the denial of boarding occurred, in cash orimmediately negotiable check; provided, however, that if the alternative transportation arranged
for the passenger’s convenience departs before the payment can be made to the passenger,then payment will be made by mail or other means within 24 hours after the denied boardingoccurs.

As a result of the Dao incident several airlines are in the process of rewriting the contract of carriage. SouthWest just said it will no longer overbook.

just don't try to go to the bathroom even if its an emergency without permission. a passenger was removed the other day because he got up and used the bathroom, then the plane returned to the gate, (the plane was in taxi mode heading to the runway). then the passenger was removed from the plane.

I believe in enforcing rules, you need them esp in an aircraft, but come on people, to delay a flight because someone needed to "go" is a little extreme. this plane by the way had been delayed a few times.
....I don't think you need to go to that extreme. The rule for taxi and everyone has to be seated with their lap belts fastened is a strict FAA rule to protect the one out of their seat and those around them. Imagine the pee person standing in the aisle and the plane makes a hard stop and he goes tumbling onto someone else....here come the lawsuits....go to the loo before they close the cabin door and wait until the plane levels off if you have to go again. If you have a bladder/poo "problem", please get that fixed and delay your trip if you are sick...and he was not removed, they deplaned everyone and he was not allowed back on....Maybe alcohol consumption was a factor....too much beer.

As passengers, we are a herd of cattle to airline management. They keep packing more of us into smaller spaces. It is only a matter of time before more serious eruptions occur by either or both flight employees or us "cattle." I don't blame the employees but still they must use common sense and respect us as human beings and if necessary overrule the airline (not FAA) rules.

I hear ya.....but as long as the consumer insists on looking for the cheapest way to fly and buy those "cattle" seats and the competition is flying no frills airways Inc.....and act like a$$es it won't get better anytime soon. Act like a decent human, be considerate to the crew and passengers around you, and I don't believe you will have an issue. I can't tell you how many times I watch people boarding with a scowl will not even respond when an attendant greets with "good morning" and they won't even look at them.

Cass-
understood on the carrier's contract of carriage, and how vague the actual promise of performance by the airline actually is. But from what I understand about the Dao vs United situation, the legal line which United crossed involved not a denial of boarding, which the carrier has ultimate control over, but a boarded and seated passenger. One whose ticket has been accepted, a boarding pass granted and exchanged for an actual seat on the plane. Big difference, supposedly. I agree it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am not holding my breath on the $10k volunteer bucks either.

LK, I am certainly not taking United's side in this case. To have boarded a passenger and then remove him from the aircraft is simply beyond the pale. When you consider that the airline was simply trying to transport cabin crew to a first am flight in another city, it bogles the imagination the stupidity involved in their decisions taken.