Half Awake...

KevinS

Senior Insider
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]It's cloudy this morning. The rain forecasted for yesterday never appeared, at least on the parts of the island where I've been. There were supposed to be showers this morning, but I haven't seen anything. It has been breezy though.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]The melody for this morning has been doves cooing and palm fronds rustling. I can hear waves crashing below, but none of the big Whomp kind.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I'm half awake now, having awoken in the middle of the night and been unable to get back to sleep. I read Golden Prey, the new John Sandford novel, for a few hours, and then dozed off again. How nice to have a new Sandford novel drop mid-vacation![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]We're about at the mid-point of this trip, and I really have no plans for today. We've got farm-fresh eggs and raw local honey, so breakfast will include more Cheesy Scrambled Eggs and Toast with Honey. And Mimosas. But no bacon. I need to buy bacon.. Speaking of Mimosa's, with diligent work the Veuve Clicquot oversupply problem has been resolved, and we can throttle back a bit.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I'm not feeling beachy, so we may just hang at the villa and read. We have a two-hammock gazebo, as well as chaises, so that's easily done.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I don't know what to do about lunch though. We had the same problem yesterday, and sort of defaulted into Cheeseburger Pomme Frites at Le Select. I've been looking at today's Le Menu. I wouldn't mind trying the Lasagna Bolognese at Carpe Diem, and I could probably sell Sleeping Beauty on the Spaghetti Carbonara at Côté Port. Then there's that Salade Pilou at Côté Port to think about too...[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Dinner? Well last night it was meeting Mike and family at Bananiers for too many Accra, too many Duck Nems, and too much fiery Pepperoni Pizza. Maybe that explains why I was awake for hours. Tonight's dinner? Too far out to think about for now.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]While I've been writing the sky has brightened. It's now 15% blue, rather than less than 5%, so that's promising.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Sleeping Beauty will awaken soon, so I had better get started on breakfast prep. But first I should check the open bottle of a Veuve Clicquot to make sure that it didn't go bad overnight...[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

You got me at doves cooing and palm fronds rustling. Two of my favorite sounds from our favorite salty piece of land.

Sounds like the St Barth rhythm has found you, friend. Carry on.

Diminishing supply of Veuve Clicquot . . . no surprise there! Evaporation on the island is such a problem! (Regularly occurring, especially, at lunch!)

We are all acquainted with the situation. Nice problem! Yes, carry on. You are doing a great job!

One comment on Golden Prey - If you're a Lucas Davenport fan then you're going to love the last few pages.

Kevin that sounds wonderful. I know I have asked this before but have had no luck. Where exactly do you find the local eggs? We have asked at Marche by the airport but they responded that they don't have them.Enjoy your trip, have a great boat day and say hi to the crew.Carol

Kevin that sounds wonderful. I know I have asked this before but have had no luck. Where exactly do you find the local eggs? We have asked at Marche by the airport but they responded that they don't have them.Enjoy your trip, have a great boat day and say hi to the crew.Carol

As far as I know, they're not sold in stores. You have to know someone who has chickens.

Always enjoy your reflections on the day Kevin, quite entertaining. We were there the first 2 wks in Apr, so looks like we just missed you. Skol!!

The pizza at Le Bouchon is great. But you have to put the order in 1 1/2 hrs in advance (?????!!!!!!????)