How St-Barth Voted in First Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassidain

Senior Insider
IMG_1971.JPG

interesting that both french places we go to regularly voted very similarly and very differently from france as a whole, where monsieur macron garnered roughly 24% of the votes and madame le pen roughly 22% and will face each other in a decisive runoff election may 7.
monsieur fillon weighed-in at just under 20% nationally.

Any reason why Fillon would do so well in SBH? Is there a party affiliation that helps him?

I am not sure 100% but I think that in 2012, Hollande came 1st, well ahead of Sarkozy. Could it be that F Fillon is appealing to St Barths because of his very conservative stance ?

Actually, in 2012 Sarkozy came in well ahead of Hollande (82% Sarkozy / 17% Hollande) in St Barth, as this island always votes conservatively (right but not far right)....
but when Hollande came on a state visit about two or three years ago he was very warmly greeted by the local population, proud to have an incumbent president visit their little outpost in the Caribbean!

. . . and Ellen, with further respect to Hollande's visit, wasn't there subsequently a resolution in favor of SBH with respect to a major tax dispute between the Collectivite & France? My recollection is that the settlement was deemed to be a significant "feather in the cap" of M. Magras, President of the Council, and a concession by French authorities.

Oops, my Bad....
Turnout is low. Is it the case for all elections (including territorial) ?
I had expected to find a bar with people gathering for the countdown and first estimates.
Zilch... Only bar de l'oubli had the TV on and we were more or less the only people watching it. A table of american guys could not care less and another disgruntled patron quickly went back to his plate when the faces of the 2 winners popped up

. . . and Ellen, with further respect to Hollande's visit, wasn't there subsequently a resolution in favor of SBH with respect to a major tax dispute between the Collectivite & France? My recollection is that the settlement was deemed to be a significant "feather in the cap" of M. Magras, President of the Council, and a concession by French authorities.

Absolutely and considering that Hollande lost so sweepingly here, it was quite a nice gesture on his part.. and that settlement saved the island many million euros....the tax situation here is very unusual but the fact there has not been a deficit in recent history, helps the situation a great deal...also very little unemployment here, always work if you want it...

This french election was a total rejection of both mainstream parties.... Le Pen may have a tough time but the elites are pushing for Macron. Bad move, the man is a shallow soul.....

Pascale . . . who are "the elites?"

some of the Fillon tops, most of the rich and the establishment and the media ( amazing to see how similarly it behaves to the media in the US)... The elections in france were very similar to the ones in the US. People in France are fed up by empty promises made by past mainstream politicians.... Fillon would have had a chance if he and his wife had not been involved in some shady financial dealings and by then the media went on the attack and that was that. Many backroom deals being made as we speak....

At least Backroom dealings don't involve pedophilia like in the Macron family:devillaugh:School districts in the states usually imprison 39 year old teachers communing carnally with 15 year old students! Surprisingly both Washington Post and NYT have actually commented!

Status
Not open for further replies.