3/25-4/8

roleray1

SBH Insider
Reflections:

1. The island is dry, dry, dry. Hardly any rain during our 2-week visit, wreaking havoc on all the lushness I remember. Lush no more.

2. Lack of rain meant no contact with mosquitoes - at least at first it did. One short period of rain during our second week awoke the flies and resulted in an all-out assault on my limbs.

3. We were prepared for bad traffic, challenging parking and construction noise. Thankfully not any more or worse than what we've experienced prior years. I think we've determined that the time between Bucket and Le Voiles is an ideal time period for us.

4. Sad to say farewell to the "hippie chic" Taiwana. Did lunch with all-day beach chairs twice. We'll miss this place. Curious to see what the construction will bring and how it will blend with the all-too-stiff Cheval Blanc.

5. Ma-ma-my-my Shellona! Fun day here though some (or most) may balk at the steep prices. 50 euros per beach chair. 4100 euros for Beluga. Is this a problem? Haha. In all seriousness, proprietors did a great job here. This place could get hot and become the Nikki Beach alternative, arguably a nicer beach, too.

6. Speaking of Shellona - LE GUERITE - I mean, fabulous restaurant. Enjoyed ourselves immensely and the food, wine were exceptional. Beautiful setting and nice to see the place alive with patrons on this fun, lively Monday night. A shout-out to the super model a mere 5 ft from our table! Yaas, gurl!

7. Top of the Rock -- we just don't learn. We keep going back and leave feeling the same way. Amazing cocktails and just OK food for an a$tronomical price. We vow to restrict future visits to the bar. Dinner elsewhere.

8. Le Barthelemy lacks soul but that'll come with time - the bones, design and beach setting are beautiful though. They've thought of every detail here...have lunch, swim in their pool and you'll even hear music under water...how fab.

9. Oh, we get it now!! Instead of nursing our hangovers from way too much wine or vodka the night before, we awoke early one morning and headed to Saline to find optimal weather, little breeze and calm, perfect-for-swimming waters. We finally got on this train and what a difference it made. Saline never ceases to amaze us.

10. But back to sleeping in...the night life is as good as always. Le Ti is reincarnated and remains a fun island fixture, but don't count out a night of bar hopping from Bagatelle, to 25, to VIP Room, to the obscure but fun "Moni" in Gustavia. Or have a drink at Martini after blowing a few too many bills at Prada or D&G - seriously, you'll forget all about it!

Per the usual, we are back in the States but all too insistent on returning sooner than later. Will just have to get my fill from this board til then. Cheers...

3. We were prepared for bad traffic, challenging parking and construction noise. Thankfully not any more or worse than what we've experienced prior years. I think we've determined that the time between Bucket and Le Voiles is an ideal time period for us.

That must be key; as I have never seen such traffic as this years Bucket! I was told by locals, that it was way busier this year than New Years.I am re-adjusting my next years visit!
I do have to praise Mini Cab though....nice to have a 24/7service; they were helpful and on time.
Nice report ; and I totally agree about Le Guerite.

Enjoyed your write up and hope the drought ends soon...showers at night please. I liked the quieting down post Bucket time slot. But I just love the Bucket Buzz and seeing those magnificent sailing ships. And missing the end of winter and coming home to signs of Spring really worked well for me.

So many good times to be on St Barths and enjoy all it has to offer.

very entertaining. you make me even more sorry than i already was that we missed going to LA guérite. :up:

That must be key; as I have never seen such traffic as this years Bucket! I was told by locals, that it was way busier this year than New Years.I am re-adjusting my next years visit!
I do have to praise Mini Cab though....nice to have a 24/7service; they were helpful and on time.
Nice report ; and I totally agree about Le Guerite.

Linda is Minicab like Uber? How do the regular taxi´s feel about this service?