Danger of Drones at Gustaf III (SBH Airport)

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

These are the new drone regulations for the U.S. I realize these do not apply to SBH. They were enacted last August. Even for any type of recreational flying, one must take a test and carry the license at all times. Penalties can be severe for non compliance. I was talking to one of the Tradewinds pilots- he said he has encountered drones high above the SBH airport which he feels creates a dangerous situation. Does any one know if there are any French or SBH regulations or is it a 'free for all- fly then wherever you want to?'

I have no knowledge of French aviation rules, however this statement is incorrect.

These are the new drone regulations for the U.S. ... Even for any type of recreational flying, one must take a test and carry the license at all times. '

Hobby flyers have a registration of the drone requirement. There is no testing or licensing. According to the FAA:

"You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely."

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/

As I read the regulations, in the U.S., one must register the UAS, put the registration numbers on the drone and carry the registration anytime it is being flown, even if only in your backyard for recreational purposes. I guess, in the event there is a problem, it makes it easy to identify.
Here is a section from the above- URL-
[h=2]Registration[/h]
  • Why do I need to register my UAS?
    Federal law requires that all aircraft (which includes UAS and radio/remote controlled aircraft) flown outdoors must be registered with the FAA and marked with a registration number. UAS weighing more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds may register online at https://registermyuas.faa.gov/ or by using the legacy paper based registration process. The weight limit includes everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft at the time of takeoff.
  • What is the difference between registering a UAS flown for fun vs. UAS flown for work or business?
    If you fly your UAS for hobby or recreational purposes and you use the web-based registration process to register your aircraft, you only need to register once and then apply your registration number to as many UAS as you want. Recreational registrants only need to provide their name, address, and email address. The $5 registration fee covers all recreational UAS owned by the registrant.
    Unmanned aircraft flown for work or business must be registered individually by the owner, and each registration costs $5. Registrants must supply their name, address, and email address, in addition to the make, model, and serial number (if available) for each UAS they want to fly.
  • Do I always have to have my Certificate of Aircraft Registration with me while flying my UAS?
    Yes. You must have the FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating an unmanned aircraft. The certificate can be available either on paper or electronically.
    If another person operates your UAS, they must have the UAS registration certificate in their possession. You can give them a paper copy or email a copy to them.
    Federal law requires UAS operators to show the certificate of registration to any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer if asked. You can show it electronically or show the printed certificate.
  • If I'm just flying my UAS inside a building, or in my own yard, do I have to register it?
    If you're flying indoors, you do not need to register your unmanned aircraft as the FAA does not regulate indoor UAS use. However, when flying in your own yard or over your own property, you will need to register your UAS if the UAS weighs more than 0.55 pounds.

You are correct, for recreational use a test is not required. It is only required under certain circumstances.

is the airport still gustave iii or is it aéroport rémy de haenen ? i thought the name was changed, but the wiki and others don't seem to acknowledge that.

The pilots (Tradewinds) I was talking to one early morning at the Choisy over the hill from St. Jean said since they fly out of Puerto Rico, the airports, planes etc. are under the control of the FAA. 'The rules of drones in the area of airports in the U.S are very strict and enforced.' They said they are unsure of the rule enforcements in Saint Barth and knows people are flying them in the area of Nikki as shihadehs observed above. As we know the flight path is very close to Nikki. We have seen drones on a Sunday, out over the water, hovering way above some of the big yachts off of St. Jean and incoming planes have flown very close to them. One wonders if there is some type of regulation that says the drones must keep away a certain distance from the airport/flight paths. Of course the rule/law needs to be enforced unlike how the seatbelt law is enforced. LOL!

These are the new drone regulations for the U.S. I realize these do not apply to SBH. They were enacted last August. Even for any type of recreational flying, one must take a test and carry the license at all times. Penalties can be severe for non compliance.
What if you attach a gun to your drone? Does that give you a second amendment exemption? If not will the NRA take up the cause?

non sequitur (a foreign language this time)
You are the only one who cares so it doesn't matter.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg