Thread: Bluetooth Speaker

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,605

Bluetooth Speaker

I need a Bluetooth Speaker. I want small, not too battery hungry, and reasonable sound. Expected uses are poolside at the villa, and on the boat at Colombier.

Who has bought one lately, and can make a recommendation?

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003

Re: Bluetooth Speaker

Love my Bose.....

had Jambox...not enough bass
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,262

I also bought a Bose a few years ago at Cass's suggestion. It's very nice and high quality - metal housing instead of plastic which you see on some cheaper brands. At the time there was a standard version and a higher end / higher priced version but most of the reviews suggested the lower priced version sounded better, so I got that one and have been very happy with it. It's a little heavy, but I think it's worth it for the quality construction.

We got my daughter the current model (SoundLink Mini) for Christmas and it has a tiny but cool upgrade ........ when you turn it on is tells you the battery life and what it's connected to..... "Your battery life is 100% and it is connected to Katie's iPhone and Katie's MacBook"

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003

I got a Voya Voom for the Cafe kitchen for when I'm cooking because I didn't want to put something expensive in there and I have to say it has far outperformed my expectations and it wasn't very expensive at all....
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,285

We also have the Bose Soundlink. Small, light, water resistant, great sound, and long lasting battery.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 Helsinki, Finland Posts: 7,970

Our Bose SoundLink Mini is called "my precious" (Lord of the Rings..). We had a few failed experiments before that.

B&O Bluetooth speakers (Beolit 15 and A2) have also great sound.

Surprisingly enough, Google Home has also excellent speaker. It doesn't do Bluetooth but you can tell it to play heavy metal from Spotify just fine :)

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2004 Toronto, Ont Posts: 480

What's the etiquette in SBH for using these on the beach? Personally I am ok with it as long as you are reasonable with the volume.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,262

Quote Originally Posted by waynek View Post
    What's the etiquette in SBH for using these on the beach? Personally I am ok with it as long as you are reasonable with the volume.
    I'd say use headphones and let others enjoy the sound of the waves

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,605

I wouldn't take a speaker to the beach - that's for headphones if I want more than Nature's music. I had this in mind for the pool.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,022

Quote Originally Posted by waynek View Post
    I've actually never heard anyone else's music while on the beach. Unless, of course, you're within ear shot of say, La Plage, Nikki Beach or Shellona. I only use headphones/earbuds, never a speaker.
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

headphones only ..speakers are an intrusion on the beach

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,022

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    I need a Bluetooth Speaker. I want small, not too battery hungry, and reasonable sound. Expected uses are poolside at the villa, and on the boat at Colombier.

Who has bought one lately, and can make a recommendation?
    Seen today on Lifehacker.com: http://gear.lifehacker.com/whats-you...ker-1793486435
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2010 Nuevo York Posts: 600

Try the iRoar. Costs about $200 but the sound quality is much better than Jam box.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 1,396

The Bose Soundlink Mini is awesome. Perfect travel size and sounds amazing...and easy to use as well.