La Guerite

krand1

SBH Insider
Hello,
We have been visiting St. Barths for many years. Our first trip was on our honeymoon in 1993 and since 2005, have made about 17-18 trips down. We are coming down for a week March 11-18 and I just sent out all of my restaurant reservation requests for the week (I know, I know, but I am a planner! and it is the week of the Bucket). La Guerite just replied with a request for credit card information in order to hold a reservation. In all of our years of visiting, this is a first and quite demoralizing. I could maybe understand if it was a large party but we are 5 people. Has anyone else had this experience, not only with this restaurant but with others on the island? Almost on a regular basis we have had fraud problems with our credit cards, it is becoming more and more common these days, so there is just no way that I am going to fill out their "voucher" and e-mail them such sensitive information. They are off our list. Still, I would be curious to know (and maybe prepare for) more of this kind of thing.

While I can't remember specifics, I've been asked for CC info from time to time.

No biggie for me as usually you can cancel 24 hours prior if necessary. Also, you probably have pretty good fraud protection, right?

Dennis, Yes we do have fraud protection but it is still unnerving. After my rant, my memory was jogged and I actually have been asked for CC info in the past (I wrote another rant about it a few years ago!). I made all my requests through Access-St Barth because it is so convenient to just go to each restaurant and send the request. That might be the problem. Good suggestion to go through booking agent, in this case St. Barths Properties. I will wait and see if it is a universal request or isolated to La Guerite.

We were there last March and were not asked to provide CC info. Maybe a new policy. We enjoyed it, and will return on our trip this year. (March 23 - April 3)

Luciano, L'sola is one of our favorites...it will really tip me over the edge if I get a request for a deposit. So far, la Guerite and Le Toiny have asked for credit card info. Santa Fe and Le Sereno did not...and I will be perfectly happy to go multiple times to Santa Fe, if that's what it takes! :) So happy to have read all the great reviews of the new ownership there.

I almost always book the restaurants here through open table. most of the restaurants are members, but not all. that is how I booked for le barthelemy last time, I was even able to ask for a table on the terrace.

Isola asked a friend for a $100 deposit per guest for 5 people. This was just a couple of weeks ago.

Wowzers! I'm not a fan of that place to begin with, but even if I was, this would certainly keep me away.

I understand asking for a CC number to hold a reservation as some people (jerks) are notorious for booking a couple places on a single night, just to have options (!) and then choosing a single place while leaving the others high and dry with empty tables. But a hundred dollar per person deposit just for the "convenience" of making a reservation is way over the top.

I made a reservation at La Guerite by phone from the villa for tomorrow night. No request for any guarantee. We have made several at various restos since arriving, and one ahead of arrival (Le Tamarin) with no CC required. I'm not sure how I would handle it asked; it would likely be a deal-breaker.

I made a reservation at La Guerite via Open Table so that handles that. Haven't gotten a reply to my reservation request from L'sola. We are just going to make a few phone calls next week. I do not expect to be asked for CC info over the phone. The last couple of years we have made a lot of our reservations when we arrive on island. But this year our week coincides with the Bucket and I know it will be more crowded.

Hello,
Just a quick update on the La Guerite drama. As a quick reminder, several weeks ago I tried making reservations at La Guerite this Friday (March 17) via Access St Barths, my go to reservation engine. They replied with a request for credit card info. I am reluctant to give that info for dinner reservations. So I ended up successfully making a reservation via Open Table. I woke up this morning to an email from Open Table saying my reservation at La Guerrilla was CANCELED. So that is how they operate and we will not play that game. La Guerite off the rotation for now and evermore. Too many great restaurants on the island to let it effect us.

On a positive note, We went to the "new" Santa Fe" last night for our first dinner and it was great. Best Sole Meurneire (spelling?) on the island. Tomatoe tart scrumptious, as were the frog legs, escargot, and a special buritini with truffles. David, the new owner was warm and inviting. I highly recommend the restaurant for all who have not yet tried it.

We went to Guerite last week, and loved it; made the reservation over the phone, no problem, no CC asked for.
We really loved our meal; so when we returned 2 nights ago, for a drink at the bar....I made a reservation in person for March 17. Of course; we have befriended one of the waiters there, Enzo, and asked for his table; so maybe that was a factor.

Hello,
Just a quick update on the La Guerite drama. As a quick reminder, several weeks ago I tried making reservations at La Guerite this Friday (March 17) via Access St Barths, my go to reservation engine. They replied with a request for credit card info. I am reluctant to give that info for dinner reservations. So I ended up successfully making a reservation via Open Table. I woke up this morning to an email from Open Table saying my reservation at La Guerrilla was CANCELED. So that is how they operate and we will not play that game. La Guerite off the rotation for now and evermore. Too many great restaurants on the island to let it effect us.

On a positive note, We went to the "new" Santa Fe" last night for our first dinner and it was great. Best Sole Meurneire (spelling?) on the island. Tomatoe tart scrumptious, as were the frog legs, escargot, and a special buritini with truffles. David, the new owner was warm and inviting. I highly recommend the restaurant for all who have not yet tried it.

Who cancelled the res? Guerite o rOpenTable?

And why?

The message said canceled by the restaurant, no reason given. And of course we could call and find out what the problem is, but I am done. Too much time and energy already spent on the attempt of making a dinner reservation.

Hello,

Merging with another thread, did Santa Fe push for a tip?