Lunch question

Jim A

Senior Insider
Looking for places to eat lunch at or near beaches that beach attire (plus t-shirts or coverups of course) is both welcomed and common, but looking for nice places if possible. Plan is more to leave the beach to go eat and then return after lunch. I see so much talk about lunch and big long lunches. Is this mostly people that go to lunch "dressed" or is it more people going from the beach or the pool? Since a lot of the places seem to be at or near the beaches I was originally thinking it was a walk up from the beach thing, but after reading a lot of the posts I'm starting to think most of the lunches people here are talking about they are going to dressed and clean. Even Nikki Beach (from pics alone) seems to be more people that are not really hanging out at the beach for the day. So looking for places where we can walk to from beach and not feel out of place or unwanted for a real good lunch and drinks.

Also, going in August and staying at a Villa so would be nice to know which restaurants/hotels allow you to use beach chairs with lunch or even for a fee (Eden Rock?). I've read Guanahani allows you to use pool/beach with lunch and a few others that do allow with lunch too thanks to reading here. I'm guessing more options for that in August than this time of the year because less crowded? Appreciate any places that fit this second category too or maybe some that fit both!!!

Thanks in advance

Welcome Jarntt. Le Gloriette on Grand cul de Sac is an excellent beach restaurant that's lets you use their chairs after lunch for free. La Plage on St Jean has a nice lunch beachside too but their chairs are rentals. There are other beachside restaurants - Eden Rock on St Jean and Shellona on Shell Beach as well as Toiny. You already mentioned Guanahani. I'm not aware that any require dressed up for beachside eating.
As to swimming and walk up I would put La Plage in that category.

Hi and welcome. We have visited the past three years in May, so things have been pretty low key. Our usual routine is to visit the beach in the morning stop somewhere for lunch and then spend the afternoon poolside at the villa. Our lunches are leisurely by American standards (maybe an hour or so) and have never been dressier than a cover up and tee-shirt/shorts. We've visited most of the major lunch spots and Sand Bar is the only one I recall where those who "dressed" easily up outnumbered those who weren't (We've visited several times and never felt, or were made to feel, out of place). Most restaurants felt sort of 50/50. My guess is that those who dress up for lunch are probably not visiting the beaches that day (or at all). Dinner is a different story and we always go with a casual resort wear look.

The oft-quoted expression is to bring half the clothes and twice the money.

A comfortable walk from Saline Beach is to a restaurant at entrance to the beach parking area -- Le Grain de Sel. Very good, modest, and your described beach attire would work fine. Same goes -- though a short drive, instead of a walk -- for Santa Fe Restaurant, at top of the hill above Gouveneur Beach. You'll find, as well, that August is about the least "dressy" time that you'll experience on the island . . . very little that qualifies as dressy during the daytime (hardly more in the evening, at most places!)

I have a hard time coming up with a place that we go to for lunch where I would feel the need to dress up. I love the suggestion of Grain de Sel. We have had lunch there in wet sandy bathing suits and I think most of the patrons are similarly attired. Haven't been to the new Sante Fe, but we would often stop there on the way back from Gouveneur. I would be wearing bathing trunks, t-shirt and flip flops and my wife would just put a wrap on. We would brush off as much sand as possible but that was the extent of our cleaning up for lunch. Hard to find a nicer place for lunch.

While some people may get "dressed up" to go to lunch at a beach restaurant, many people go from the beach, to the restaurant, and back to the beach ... La Plage, Nikki Beach, Do Brasil (now Shellona) and Le Grain de Sel to name a few. Ladies put on a beach coverup or even a pareo wrapped around their waist and men put on a decent t-shirt or even a button up shirt. While it is not necessary, many of us enjoy a long lunch with a bottle of wine - try it!

If you're looking for a place to spend a good part of the day, I would suggest either Cheval Blanc, formally Isle de France, or the new Le Barthelomy at Grande Cul de Sac. Both will let you use their chairs and umbrellas if you have booked a table for lunch. I would call ahead and make the res, and just verify that you can also use their facilities.

When it's time for lunch, a tee shirt for you and a cover-up for her is all that is required. Both places have seating either on the beach or in the restaurant. BTW, I believe Le Guanahani offers the same service.

Phil

You don't have to get dressed up for lunch. Even at Eden Rock, you can dine in a beach cover-up and t-shirt and shorts, but you'll want them to be your nicest ones. :) Some of the hotels charge to use their chairs, but Guanahani does not if you have a lunch reservation. It's hard to beat their view if you go down to the tip of their beach...serene on one side and wild water on the other. You should also have a lunch at Sante Fe above Gouveneur and take in their beautiful panoramic view. Our favorite lunch each trip is getting pizzas from Les Bananiers and a bottle of wine from the villa, and having our own picnic lunch on the far end of the beach at Flamands. Don't stress about what to wear, there will always be someone dressed to the nines, but many more will be dressed in casual attire. Have a great trip!

I have nothing more to add that hasn't already been said except that as I read these posts I've decided I have on far too many clothes! I sure wish all I had on was a bathing suit and a pareo. :cool: You are going to have a WONDERFUL time, jarntt.

This trip my favorite lunch has been Santa Fe-delicious food with a fantastic view of the islands of St Kitts, Statia and Saba just out beyond a glimmering sea and add delightful breezes to caress your sun drenched skin. Ahh, St Barths.

I'm so glad to read, Amy, that Santa Fe has returned to your "short list" of go-to places. It appears that you've found -- as I concluded -- that there's nothing gained by comparing it to Manu's proprietorship. David and his partner/chef offer a new, excellent menu . . . with great service and savoir faire.

I'm so glad to read, Amy, that Santa Fe has returned to your "short list" of go-to places. It appears that you've found -- as I concluded -- that there's nothing gained by comparing it to Manu's proprietorship. David and his partner/chef offer a new, excellent menu . . . with great service and savoir faire.
:up:

Guanahani, is again this year offering a day package with excellent 1 hour massage, use of spa or seaside pool, glass of champagne, three course lunch, and use of beach with chairs for 165E. Past two years we dined on beach and stayed from 10 to 5. Great pampering package if you are not in a villa on beach. Also if you have 3 course lunch at taiwana, you get chair, umbrella, use of heated pool w/showers and towels for 49E. Food and service last year Taiwana was spectacular. Also love o'corrail anyday for beach lunch, great value!

Another thanks to all. Even more great info than I had hoped for. Don't be afraid to keep it coming:):up:

Really like the idea of spending one or two days at one of the hotels or restaurants that offer beach chairs and/or other amenities. Even if a fee is involved it's still fine. Don't mind paying to get something great like the above.

How about Nikki Beach on Sunday in August? Would we be able to just show up and rent beach chairs and have lunch and drinks or would we need to reserve them ahead of time?

There's not much beach at Nikki Beach...you go there more for the scene...eating, drinking and people watching. La Plage is the most casual beach restaurant on St Jean. Definitely do Guanahani, you can go all in with the special or just get lunch reservation without all the extras and the chairs will still be free. Toiny is a neat beach experience, too. No bad choices in St Barts!

I don't know what its like in August, but I was at Nikki Beach on a Sunday in March, and there were no beach chairs, just cushion-y type round beds that had a very, very steep minimum attached. Your best bet for having lunch and renting beach chairs on St Jean beach will probably be at La Plage or Eden Rock---(during high season, La Plage beach chairs are 15-20 Euros and Eden Rock are 50 Euros plus--I don't know what they'll charge in August).

There's not much beach at Nikki Beach...you go there more for the scene...eating, drinking and people watching. La Plage is the most casual beach restaurant on St Jean. Definitely do Guanahani, you can go all in with the special or just get lunch reservation without all the extras and the chairs will still be free. Toiny is a neat beach experience, too. No bad choices in St Barts!

I definitely 2nd this advice!! The last 2 visits, we spent our 1st day on vacation here and it is a fantastic way to relax. Especially since the beach staff will come by your lounger and make sure you are well supplied with water and wine/rhum punches before and after lunch :up:

C

Hotel Baie des Anges! La Langouste! Still my favorite lobster lunch, and beach chair use is welcome! Flamands. Only a coverup is needed. Always my first day at the beach!