Loss of our friend

MartinS

Senior Insider
I cant remember what year I actually met Roy, 2002, or 2003. At a villa gathering on the island. Instant friends. Fishing trips, snow skiing and scuba diving, we all had fun. Pretty sure so many of you here have the same feelings and great memories of him.

Dr. Roy Hammock passed this morning after a long illness. Dee Dee and his son, Wilks, were with him.

Roy and I fished nearly every morning when on the island. 0530, mostly St. Jean...... The last day I picked Roy up to fish I helped him out to the waters edge and we sat down, No fishing that day. Watched the sun come over the top of the mountain. Just story telling, a cigar bottle of vanilla rum !

DSCN0824 copy.jpg

DSCN0531 copy.jpg

DSCN0555 copy.jpg

Roy visited the island earlier than most of us. I remember him telling me about staying at the old PLM Jean Bart hotel, and then moving to one of the handful of rooms at Autour du Rocher.

Condolonces to Dee, Wilks, and all of Roy's family and friends.

I am so sorry to hear this, Martin. My heart is heavy. I met Roy and Dee Dee in New Orleans in early 2010 when they came with Tony and Gary to a basketball tournament. We all shared a wonderful dinner, great St Barth stories and many laughs together that night.

Prayers for peace and comfort to all those who are touched by Roy's passing.

I believe this was the night you had a chef prepare dinner at your villa,,

I was just thinking about that night at KAN. Chef Bernard Javelle prepared a very nice dinner for six, with multiple mains to accommodate everyone. That was a fun night. Roy and Dee were staying just down the hill at CLO, and that may have been the night that Roy talked me into giving up my slot at KAN.

Very sad when I got that text this morning ...Roy was a great guy ..The week Roy and Dee dee and Martin came out to Colorado to ski with me was such a fun week...I remember so well Roy called me after I got my stent and he asked me what happened and when I told him I thought it was indigestion he said, as only Roy can say with that Alabama drawl ..."I see dead guys in the ER everyday with a pack of Rolaids in their pockets.....smarten up "

rest in peace my friend

"and that may have been the night that Roy talked me into giving up my slot at KAN"

This might have been from the next trip...

DSCN0834 copy 2.jpg

This was Roy on a "catching" day instead of a "fishing" day. Roy fought this fish from the runway to Eden Rock before he was able to land it. I think this was in 2005. If I recall correctly, Alain Buisson (Alain Photo) printed me a copy of the photo, which I was able to give to Roy while he was still on the island.

Roy and His Snook.jpg