1974 road to St. Jean

andynap

Senior Insider
FullSizeRender.jpg

The posting says "between the bar and the butcher shop". What/where are those landmarks today?

Is that pond on the right, the same one that is currently being drained and pumped into the bay?

1974 was pre-me, but as I see it, on the hillside in the background is an early incarnation of Village St Jean.

Wow! It's amazing to see the massive changes from 1974 to date. If we could only turn back the hands of time...just a little!

i'm a bit disoriented. is the moke headed toward or away from nikki beach ?

Cass, 2nd degree humor?

Really hope so, as not all things "St Jean" can be related to this place of "débauche". Especially in 1974.

It doesn't really matter where that picture was taken (although pretty clear to me), this is the St. Barths I'd love to meet again.

Not 1974. Earlier.

I was thinking the same thing Chas ....I discovered it in late 79 and started to vacation there in 80 and it didn't look anything that rural, in 79 and given how slow things progress down there it would be hard for me to believe it could go from that to what I first saw, in just five short years

It doesn't really matter where that picture was taken (although pretty clear to me), this is the St. Barths I'd love to meet again.

To your first point, can you describe where it would be on the island today? Reading this thread, there seems to be conflicting opinions.

To your second point, that ain't going to happen unless there's some sort of cataclysm like a nuclear war. Er,... um,... you may be seeing that version of St Barths fairly soon after all.

I'm as confused like Bart. If this is supposed to be somewhere near the current road passing through St Jean to the north of the salt pond, in order for the pond to be on the right in this perspective, the ocean has to be to the left. However, the hills in the background look to be rising to the left so it doesn't appear to me that is the location. If on the other hand its the same pond but on the southern shore, that makes more sense to me.

And if there is some sort of cataclysm, I think what you get is something that looks more like this

105372481.jpg

Very cool old picture though.