Gustavia Paid Parking Lots

Foxy

SBH Insider
I am heading back to the island from Jan. 13-21 for what I think is about my 40th visit. For the life of me, I cannot figure out the new parking situation in Gustavia in the high season. I do not mind paying a few Euros each time I park so long as I can simply use one of those gravel lots like the one on the harbor side of Pipri Palace for example. Much better option to me than circling around the streets until someone pulls out of a spot.

Can someone educate me on how those paid lots are accessed because if I recall they have gates/poles on them?

The main lot by the ferry building is controlled by the government and accessible by taking a ticket from the machine and then paying at the kiosk before exiting. The gravel lots are run by "private enterprise" and seem to require human intervention. I think Phil62 has firsthand experience with one or more of those lots.

The paid lot is very simple to use. just like many lots in the US and overseas. Take a ticket; park; when you are ready to leave go to the payment kiosk, insert ticket, insert money (it is easiest to have 1 or 2 Euro coins) - collect ticket - go to the exit - insert ticket in "post" - up goes the pole - and away you go.

Am illustrated thread on the main one by the ferry building.

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

image.jpeg

Just as with any parking machine -- first scan ticket by placing it under the reader #1 to see what is owed. Coins most likely will cover the cost.

Pay:

#2 coins
#3 bills
#4 Chip & Pin card -- must be real C & P, not chip and sign will work.
#5 Verify OK

Scan paid ticket at exit gate

The private lots in Gustavia seem to be mostly rented out long term. I inquired about parking for one night in the one by L'Isola, and was told that I might be able to get a spot in two months. If you look, you'll see a replica of the long term renters license plates ziptied to the fence.

I've become a big fan of the municipal pay lot.

Kevin has it right. The lot near L'Isola used to charge something like 30 Euros per day, but it's not available anymore unless you are a prepaid customer.

In any case, I'm old school, and will drive around for a while and will usually find something on the street. I just have this thing about paying for parking on the Island, although I will admit to doing it once when we had to be somewhere and we did not have time to drive around looking for a spot.

Phil

The lot near L'Entracte was 20 Euros a day all week long after Christmas. Never actually parked there but that was what the sign said. Always found parking.

Parking in Gustavia is like parking in Manhattan. Keep circling and the spot will appear. Be prepared to make many circles and drop the lady off at the door.

I was just thinking that too...that what I want when I go on vacation ......I hope the parking situation is just like Manhattan.........thats so St Thomas /St Martin Caribbean which is exactly what I'm looking for...:cool:..... splendid!

oh and ....my wife thankfully doesnt need to be dropped off while I park..she is more than happy to walk with me through town if it comes down to that...which it rarely does during the time we go

ETA: My response was to JEK, but Mike snuck in before me

Or you can park in the "outskirts" by Jicky Marine or the old Wall House and walk back. That may not work for everyone if a long walk is not physically possible, but we never had trouble finding spots out there.

This year in December, it seemed to be more crowded (or fewer spots) in the area around Le Select and the Patti shop. In the past, we'd usually find a spot along that strip on our first (and only) pass about 50% of the time, but on this most recent trip we never were able to park along that strip.

Maybe it was just bad timing on our part, but it was surprising especially with the reports of the island being less crowded this year. Maybe it was construction on the upper street removing a large number of would be parking spots.

I was just thinking that too...that what I want when I go on vacation I hope the parking situation is just like Manhattan.........thats so St Thomas /St Martin Caribbean which is exactly what I'm looking for...:cool:.spendid

oh and ....my wife thankfully doesnt need to be dropped off while I park..she is more than happy to walk with me through town if it comes down to that...which it rarely does during the time we go

Mike,

Great that you both are fit, young and healthy, but sometimes life deals you a card that is unplanned, so some adjustments, love and tolerance are necessary.

Regards,

An older friend

I was just thinking that too...that what I want when I go on vacation ......I hope the parking situation is just like Manhattan.........thats so St Thomas /St Martin Caribbean which is exactly what I'm looking for...:cool:..... splendid!

Of all the totally out of tune post you have ever made this truly is the (one of the) best. No, Manhattan isn't Gustavia, just a allegory to make a point. I covered your other faux pas in another reply so I won't repeat myself.

I get that you have to put down my posts to protect the product..I understand....totally

its ok....it's all good

unfortunately ..as I'm sure by now you re aware....you re not going to be able to verbally bully me off the site like was done to Hopper :cool:

Bart...the hitching posts that have sprung up all over the streets in Gustavia, St Jean, and other spots are killing psrking spaces left and right.

I get that you have to put down my posts to protect the product..I understand....totally

its ok....it's all good

unfortunately ..as I'm sure by now you re aware....you re not going to be able to verbally bully me off the site like was done to Hopper :cool:

Mike, cool down. We have many people on the site who have significant others with various disabilities. Dropping a partner off and going to look for a parking place shouldn't be disparaged or trivialized. Most of us think it is a sign of respect and love. I'm just asking you be respectful of others who may not be able to walk a few blocks.