Senior Insider
Jimmy Buffett Musical Eyes Broadway Debut in Spring 2018

1/6/2017 by Ashley Lee

• FACEBOOK
  • TWITTER
  • EMAIL ME

jimmy-buffett-performance-2016-billboard-1548.jpg
Peter Barreras/AP Images for Alzheimer's Association Part the Cloud
Jimmy Buffett performs at the Part the Cloud Gala benefitting the Alzheimer's Association on April 30, 2016 in Menlo Park, Calif.

'Escape to Margaritaville' will first stop in New Orleans, Houston and Chicago, after premiering in San Diego.

Jimmy Buffett is one step closer to Broadway.
Escape to Margaritaville, the new musical featuring both original tracks and the singer's classics, is eyeing a Broadway debut in spring 2018, producers announced Friday (Jan. 6).
After the production has its previously announced world premiere at San Diego's La Jolla Playhouse (May 9-June 25), the show will make three additional tryout stops in New Orleans, Houston and Chicago. (Though most new musicals have one or, at most, two pre-Broadway engagements, four is quite unusual. But the decision to do so -- and in cities with a high concentration of Buffet fans -- suggests that the show will be thoroughly honed before hitting the more challenging economic market of Broadway.)

Jimmy Buffett Musical Sets San Diego Premiere

"It’s always been a dream of mine to make it to Broadway!" said Buffett in a statement. "After our world premiere this May in La Jolla, we’ll set sail from California on a pre-Broadway national tour stopping first in the city that gave me my start-New Orleans, then to some of my other favorites -- Houston and Chicago -- before arriving at that port of all ports, Broadway and New York City."
The show -- which tells the original story of a tropical island resort and its charming bartender-singer who falls for a beautiful, career-minded tourist -- is penned by co-book writers Greg Garcia (creator of My Name Is Earl, Raising Hope and Yes, Dear) and Mike O’Malley (Yes, Dear and Glee), with Tony nominee Christopher Ashley (Memphis, Xanadu) directing. The creative team also will include choreographer Kelly Devine, scenic designer Walt Spangler, costume designer Paul Tazewell, lighting designer Howell Binkley and sound designer Brian Ronan. Frank Marshall, Mindy Rich, Anita Waxman and Beth Williams are producin

Interesting. I enjoyed an article written by Herman Wouk, years ago, about meeting with Jimmy Buffett about producing Stop the Carnival for Broadway. The article was funny and poignant, much like Stop the Carnival. In the words of Mr. Wouk from another of his books - Marjorie Morningstar - "Of all sad words from tongue or pen, the saddest are these...what might have been." The show did not go on. I hope this does.

It made it to Broadway! We saw it last night in previews. We are not Parrotheads, but have a friend featured in the cast. (yes, we got to go backstage, but Jimmy was there the night before).

It's a really fun show. It's not going to sweep the Tonys, but I suspect it will have a decent run. It ran last year in La Jolla, New Orleans, Houston and Chicago, but they are still rehearsing during the day and making nightly changes. It's not a home run, but you won't stop smiling.

The album is already out on Spotify, but I wouldn't judge it by the cast recording, which seemed a little flat. And the big numbers (yes, Volcano, Margaritaville and Cheeseburger) were really well staged, which doesn't translate well on the album. "Pirate Looks at 40" was great.

On opening night the bar ran out of Triple Sec for Margaritas, but the bar still set a record for one night sales.

“(The show) was sold out and there were, as expected, many Parrotheads in the audience,” according to a source tied to “Escape to Margaritaville,” which had its first preview performance on Friday. “But the house did not expect to run out of Triple Sec, thus having to cut off Margarita sales.”
Apparently Buffett fans still made do with whatever the bartender had left. We’re told that the Nederlander Organization, which owns nine Broadway theaters dating back to 1912, told show organizers that Buffett’s big night was also “the largest one night bar sale in their history.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...y-margaritaville-margaritas-article-1.3829899

I had no trouble getting a margarita at intermission. The crowd seemed a bit tamer than it may have been for the first show. I suspect it will have a pretty spirited run through the summer, however.

On opening night the bar ran out of Triple Sec for Margaritas, but the bar still set a record for one night sales.

“(The show) was sold out and there were, as expected, many Parrotheads in the audience,” according to a source tied to “Escape to Margaritaville,” which had its first preview performance on Friday. “But the house did not expect to run out of Triple Sec, thus having to cut off Margarita sales.”
Apparently Buffett fans still made do with whatever the bartender had left. We’re told that the Nederlander Organization, which owns nine Broadway theaters dating back to 1912, told show organizers that Buffett’s big night was also “the largest one night bar sale in their history.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...y-margaritaville-margaritas-article-1.3829899

Jimmy was on with Jimmy Fallon a couple nites ago, long pants, long sleeve shirt & real shoes, almost didn't recognize him ! supposedly one of the 1st nites at the Marquis theater in the Marriott.