First Time...suggestions on villas?

JD7907

SBH Member
My wife and I are considering a trip in May, and the posts on this site have been very helpful! Our hope is that this is our first trip of many and that it becomes a place we return to again and again, as seems to be the case for so many of the people here. We are looking for accommodations for 2, 5 nights. Am I being unreasonable to hope for something in the $200-250/night ballpark? As this is our first trip, we anticipate spending more time out and about than at the villa. Also, being foodies, we're hoping to save some coin for nicer meals by staying some place reasonable (by SBH standards). I feel like I've spent days on VRBO and AirBnb, but I'm wary of the unknowns, and don't know anyone personally who's actually made this trip. Has anyone stayed in or around a villa that would fit, or should we be focused on hotels this trip and perhaps scout out a villa for next time? Thanks so much in advance for any insight!

I should add, our preference is something with a nice breeze because my bride is a mosquito magnet.

The villas that I'm aware of in that price range are (from Wimco) WV CAP, WV BRO, WV PUL, WV STC. If you were to consider hotels, check out Les Mouettes on Lorient Beach or The Sunset in Gustavia.

Good luck!

Thank you all, I will give Wimco another look in light of the recommendations. Andy, we have actually had your post about mosquitoes bookmarked for months...very informative! :D

check out Airbnb in Saint Barth, especially Villa Gaiac... lots of things in your price range, and hosts like the Villa Gaiac folks would be great for a first timer trip

On our first trip to SBH we rented direct from owner Villa Case Du Roy. Nice villa, great price and centrally located near the airport, Gustavia, etc. It fits your budget for sure. Several others on this forum have also stayed there. Joselyn is a treat to work with and takes great care of you.

I second the Case du Roy recommendation. It's a fabulous, well-equipped villa .... TOTALLY SCREENED and air conditioned!!!! Most villas do not have screens. Very centrally located ..
easy access (no need for a four-wheel drive). And, Jocelyne is
very helpful, has a wonderful command of English and may charge you for only five days. It is listed on sbhonline under "Villas for Rent by Owner". This February trip will be, I think,
our fifth or sixth stay there.

A third recommendation for Case du Roy. We have visited there with the Jims and Theresa. It is very large for 2 people- front and back patios and large inside. Nice view of the water and St Jean to the right. A great value.

Case du Roy looks perfect, but appears it is booked during the times we are planning to visit :sad1:

A third recommendation for Case du Roy. We have visited there with the Jims and Theresa. It is very large for 2 people- front and back patios and large inside. Nice view of the water and St Jean to the right. A great value.

Check out Villa Kali in Vitet - https://www.vrbo.com/338882

Basic, but clean and well appointed for the price. Good breezes given the height and eastward facing location. We have stayed there and it fits the bill for view, pool and private house all at a reasonable price. The owner is very easy to deal with and is based in the US but her sister lives in St. Barth.

Let me know if you have questions.

Do you know about St. Barth Properties? They are the other big rental company on the island.

Marla Villas and Happy Villa are two smaller companies but they both have some more affordable choices.

The other thing you may not be aware of is some/most/all(?) two and three bedroom villas have a one bedroom rate, so that may open up your candidate pool. And sometimes, the one bedroom rate doesn't show up on a quick search..... you have to go to that villa's page and select the one bedroom rate and only then will the cheaper price be displayed.

Also, do a search for the Colony Club. I'm not totally sure what it is, but it seems like it's a bunch of small apartments with a shared pool and a great view. It might be good for you since you're not planning on hanging around the villa all day.

Recs from forum members are helpful but you're running into what is a common occurrence when villa "shopping," finding out that the places are rented. I suggest starting with a list of available villas that meet your price and other criteria. You can get these from the various agency sites. Then ask for feedback about the ones on this list.

I'd also add that, while Wimco and St Barth Properties are great, many of the lower priced villas are listed with the smaller agencies. We've used Marla, Ici et La, and Happy with great success and there are others. Happy does not charge the typical 10% service fee, but does charge 3.5% for using a credit card. But SBP charges both.

ETA: Bart and I must have been typing at the same time. And he makes a great point about the 1bedroom price break.

I will do that. Thank you for the suggestion of the smaller agencies!

I suggest starting with a list of available villas that meet your price and other criteria. You can get these from the various agency sites. Then ask for feedback about the ones on this list.

We have stayed at Villa Sud Ouest the past couple of years. Ernest has some open weeks in May. GREAT sunset view! House has everything you need and very reasonably priced.

https://www.vrbo.com/274163

Hope you enjoy your visit. SBH has an addictive quality about it.

Bill & Charlotte

I would second Villa Sud Ouest. We will be staying there in April. Our fourth time on St. Barts, second, and not last time, at Villa Sud Ouest. You could not ask for a better host, Ernest, or a better villa for the price.