Favorite restaurants?

But what if you only had one card? Just saying not to be too judgmental when all the circumstances aren't known.

QUOTE=GramChop;967067]I'd love to hear a more detailed review, if you will. Merci.

Shellona--tried going there twice. It was chaotic, crowded, and dirty and a complete sh*t show. Couldn't get a beer at the bar--although I must admit we didn't try too hard but my teenage daughter was the first person served at every other bar we went to on the island, haha. The whole scene was just unpleasant. The crowd, the uncleared tables, the trash on the floor, just nasty. Night and day compared to Nikki Beach, which was also crowded but handled with aplomb.[/QUOTE]

That's a shame. It's only been opened for mere weeks...this is not a good sign of things to come. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for your interesting perspective.

I'd love to hear more about drinking for fee at Nikki, Eddy's and Shellona.

Nikki--for whatever reason, a couple of the regular bartenders took a liking to us and treated us like long lost family whenever we went in. Of course, we looked for them after the first time and never sat anywhere but at their end of the bar.

Eddy's--The only positive things I can say about the experience was that restaurant setting is beautiful and the wine list is reasonably priced. Other than that, it was like they had never served dinner on NYE before. It didn't help that our server appeared to be in over her head and in the weeds the entire time, but the problems went way beyond just her. And, it wasn't like they were serving a varied menu. The choices were very limited--two cold appetizer options, both probably plated well in advance of service and two entrees (filet or fish) and one dessert option. It was classic banquet food. I know they have been open for decades, so they must be doing something right. But given what I saw transpire on NYE, I would have to wonder.

So, they bring a basket of bread. My son takes a piece and notices ants on it. We don't think much of it (we are not persnickety people and all of us have worked in restaurants and it is the tropics) and we tell him to eat another piece instead. It too has ants. We look into the bread basket and there are alot of ants. We tell Eddy and once he figures out what we are talking about and sees the ants (they were very small and it was somewhat dark) he takes it away and shortly comes back beaming saying that he had "cooked it for us". The bread was, of course, toasted. We were unclear whether he cooked it to kill the ants or got us new bread and toasted it for us as a special treat. We ate the bread.

That's a turnoff for sure. We would have left at that point.

They charged in advance, and it was NYE. Teenagers with no food on NYE in Gustavia would have been a problem. I guess we could have gone to Le Select. We kept hoping it would improve.

Thanks for the details!

We had great meal at Eddys but our server seemed to vanish for long periods near the end. It took a long time to flag him down to order dessert and to get the bill, which was strange because the place was only about one quarter full.

I only told the ant story because I thought it was funny. I don't even consider that incident to be significant in my opinion of the place. It was just everything was poorly executed from the moment we walked in the door at 9 until we left at 11:35. And, to top it off, when I said to the expediter in a joking manner that they seemed to be having some minor problems that evening she looked like the top of her head was going to explode and said something along the lines of "oh no, monsieur, you have to expect this on NYE." I said no more--until the ants, anyway.

Having ants in a bread basket can happen. Sending the same bread back- I assuming- toasted is something else.

I would think it's pretty challenging for most restaurants to put their best foot forward on NYE.....some do it better than others but it certainly has its challenges

I would think it's pretty challenging for most restaurants to put their best foot forward on NYE.....some do it better than others but it certainly has its challenges

Worked plenty of NYEs in my time in the biz during an extended undergrad and prior to a grad school--from pizza joints to the one of the best restaurants on the East Coast (at the time). While not as bad as Valentine's day in this country, NYE is something of an amateur night for patrons. That being said, Eddy's was, and I'll go back to my original characterization, amateurish.

Yeah I hear ya ...well we live and work in a resort and for us on NYE we go to the local Pub early in the evening and then we hunker down at home for the night ....

Really surprising that Eddy and Brigette would be that far out of control. I've dined with them for years, including a couple of big birthday bashes for Marius that were like NYE and Christmas Eve rolled into one. I'm guessing they were slammed all week from Christmas on and the last big bash put them over the top.

Yeah I hear ya ...well we live and work in a resort and for us on NYE we go to the local Pub early in the evening and then we hunker down at home for the night ....

Yep. Usually, a couple of early cocktails out at the local bar and then dinner, wine and champagne at home with friends for us.

Really surprising that Eddy and Brigette would be that far out of control. I've dined with them for years, including a couple of big birthday bashes for Marius that were like NYE and Christmas Eve rolled into one. I'm guessing they were slammed all week from Christmas on and the last big bash put them over the top.

This is the last time (I promise) and I know at this point I am beating a dead horse--but it is was really shockingly bad (and i didn't even have a bad table, which can really pis* me off). But, hey, it was sold out!