Page 1 of 3 1 Last
    SBH Apprentice

User Info Menu

Favorite restaurants?

We are headed back to St Barts on Saturday for the first time since 2012. Planning to hit some of our old favorites (Tamarin, Santa Fe, La Gloriette, La Plage), and trying to figure out which new places we should try or which old places we should return to! Suggestions? Fancy or casual, doesn't matter-- we want amazing food and a great atmosphere! Tell me your favorite restaurant on the island...

Senior Insider

User Info Menu

Re: Favorite restaurants?

Lots of changes. Start with Kevin's summary.

The last few weeks have brought many additional changes, some of which have been pointed out to me by the SBHOnline community - Thanks!. I think that I have them all included here, but I still struggle with Modjo's hours. Here are the big changes for this year, as well as a few notable changes from last year:

The long-awaited (9 years!) opening of Le Barthélemy hotel on the beach in Grand Cul de Sac brings several new food and beverage operations on line. Le Barth is open for breakfast (non-guests welcome) and lunch. Aux Amis is open for dinner, Le Turquoise is their beach bar, and Le Bar is their main bar with cocktails and small plates. The menus have been created by Michelin-starred chef Guy Martin (Le Grand Véfour in Paris).

Monbart in Gustavia has morphed into 25 Quarter. Same owners, different concept, some interesting small plates, major US sporting events may be on TV.

Les Artistes in Lorient is now La Bohème.

La Baguette by Choisy is the Lorient branch of Boulangerie Choisy in Gustavia, located near Oasis. They have parking, and tables for those who want a French or American breakfast. Le Spot by Choisy serves Sushi and Pizza from the same location.

Bistro Josephine is a new Creole/French restaurant (lunch/dinner), opened by chef Jean-Paul Adley of Island Flavors. Both are located around the corner from Sibarth, on Rue Victor Hugo. Island Flavors offers takeout meals, with a few tables in the back garden.

Burger Palace, a mostly takeout/delivery burger place across from the post office, has found a niche.

Carpe Diem has opened in the former Ti Zouk K'fe/Thi Widi location in Gustavia. It has become popular with visitors and locals alike for wallet-friendly lunch and dinner, with a pasta/grill emphasis on the menu.

Le Carré is under new management, with an all-new menu. A name change to Bo Káo is in the works, with an expected opening date around December 15. It appears that the menu will be Japanese-Peruvian, created by Executive Chef Luis Arevalo (Kena in Madrid, http://www.kenadeluisarevalo.com/)

Villa Marie is a new hotel in the former François Plantation location in Colombier. They open in mid-December, with a restaurant called François Plantation, an homage to the original hotel/restaurant.

The Manapany on Anse des Cayes has closed, and has new owners. Expect them to reopen in 2017.

La Guérite replaced La Provença St Barth in the former Wall House location, managed by Pascal Ramette of Pa Cri, with a Mediterranean menu.

Orega, in the former Le Sapotillier location across from Eddy's, was the star of the 2015 – 2016 season. All indications are that it will continue to be a star. Make reservations.

Pipiri Palace is under new ownership, with Rodrigue (formerly at Chez Joe/Aérosnack) now at the helm. They're open for lunch and dinner, with a local following for their moderately-priced lunch specials.

Santa Fé in Lurin is under new ownership (David and Christophe, manager and chef from Dõ Brazil) with an updated menu and modified hours. They have been doing a huge lunch business, and reservations are recommended.

Tom's Juice Bar and Raw Café have moved from St Jean (Kiki-é-Mo) to the upper level of Crémaillère Alley in Gustavia, across from the Municipal Police Station.

Le Vietnam is now open for dinner only. Lack of parking and road construction have made lunch untenable. Perhaps they will again open for lunch when the road construction in Gustavia is complete.

La Boucherie St Jean in St Jean has closed. Sadly, with the closing of La Boucherie, I (heart) BBQ , the parking lot BBQ location, has also closed.

Meat My Fish, a new butcher/fish store has opened in Camaruche.

La Vie Claire, an organic grocery, has opened in the heights of Anse des Cayes, in the former Tendances location.

The pizza guy from L'Entracte is now working out of Chez Rolande in Flamands, creole during the day, pizza at night.

Dõ Brazil has been purchased by the new owners of the Hotel Carl Gustav. It is undergoing renovations, and is expected to re-open as Shellona around December 15, with a serial DJ festival over New Years.

Maman, the Tropical Hotel's new restaurant, is scheduled to open on December 3. They're offering breakfast, lunch, tapas, and Saturday and Sunday brunch.

Rocks Bar at the Eden Rock opens at 17:00 for sunset cocktails.

And, for my ongoing struggle to remember which restaurants are open for dinner on Sunday night, as well as the most up to date answer to Tim's question of just how many restaurants there are on St Barth, here's Restos18:

restos18.pdf
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Maya's, L'Isola, Orega, L'Esprit, Tamarin, Santa Fe...as Phil says, so many restaurants, so little time!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Senior Insider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Maya's, L'Isola, Orega, L'Esprit, Tamarin, Santa Fe...as Phil says, so many restaurants, so little time!
    One of the few ways to improve that list is a lunch at La Gloriette, or Sand Bar, or Tamarim, or Le Select

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Right you are about lunches, John. Good PS

Senior Insider

User Info Menu

Or Santa Fe for lunch on Thursday with those tasty bivalves

SBH Member

User Info Menu

Carpe Diem is excellent and reasonably-priced. Toiny is a neat toes in the sand lunch experience with the safari ride to get down to it...not reasonably-priced...ha ha.

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Also like Cote Port for lunch or dinner. Good food,fair prices and servings that are easily shared.

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Kevin's list is a must, especially for days & hours the restaurants are open. We never leave home without it.

I would add lunch at Le Guanahani's beach side restaurant Indigo. If you stop and make reservations on your way to the beach, they will let you use their loungers for free. Great way to spend the day!!

Charlotte
    "There are no foreign lands. It is the traveller only who is foreign" Robert Louis Stevenson
    House Divided - Roll Tide War Eagle

SBH Member

User Info Menu

Eddy's
    Steve and Aimee

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Black Ginger.
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Member

User Info Menu

One or two word reviews from last week (using a relative value calculation and blending service and meal quality)-

Hideaway--Very good

Kiki et mo's--very good

Nikki beach (2/3 times)--very good (but we drank for free, practically, at the bar so that helped the rating)

Eden Rock--good (relative value thing)

La Gloriette--weak (food ok/good, service poor)

Eddy's NYE--very disappointing (amateurish from beginning to end)

Bar d'Oubli--Ok, but it was new year's day lunch and everything was closed so props to them for being open

l'Ardoise--kids said good (but, they hosed my them so bad on the dollar exchange rate, 1.25/1, I would downgrade the rating substantially)

JoJo burger--ok

Sayolita--good, (cool place to hang and drink with the locals--who always managed to buy me more drinks than i could buy them)

Le Select--fun

Shellona--ridiculous (not in a good way)

BazBar--drinks only--fun and good music

Boulangerie Choisy L'Orient carryout--good (great baguette)

Black Ginger Carry-out--poor

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Interesting review
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkunst View Post
    One or two word reviews from last week (using a relative value calculation and blending service and meal quality)-

Hideaway--Very good

Kiki et mo's--very good

Nikki beach (2/3 times)--very good (but we drank for free, practically, at the bar so that helped the rating)

Bar d'Oubli--Ok, but it was new year's day lunch and everything was closed so props to them for being open

l'Ardoise--kids said good (but, they hosed my them so bad on the dollar exchange rate, 1.25/1, I would downgrade the rating substantially)

JoJo burger--ok

Sayolita--good, (cool place to hang and drink with the locals--who always managed to buy me more drinks than i could buy them)

Le Select--fun

Thanks for your interesting perspective.

I'd love to hear more about drinking for fee at Nikki, Eddy's and Shellona.

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Also, not sure why anyone would pay a restaurant's inflated dollar to euro exchange rate. Easy enough to get euros in advance or use a debit card at a local ATM if you want to pay cash, or use a no foreign transaction fee credit card which goes through at the rate of the day when charged...

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    Also, not sure why anyone would pay a restaurant's inflated dollar to euro exchange rate. Easy enough to get euros in advance or use a debit card at a local ATM if you want to pay cash, or use a no foreign transaction fee credit card which goes through at the rate of the day when charged...
    'Twas my thought, too, Ellen. I did just that for the first year I traveled to St Barth solo just out of fear of the unknown. I quickly learned different.

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Hideaway--Very good

Kiki et mo's--very good

JoJo burger--ok

Le Select--fun

I'd love to hear a more detailed review, if you will. Merci.

SBH Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post

Sent my teenagers to L'Ardoise for a light dinner while we went to Eden Rock for our anniversary. They had 62 euros and plenty of dollars. Bill came to 64 euros or 80 USD. Wouldn't let them pay in both euros and dollars. So, they were stuck. Some restaurants were going 1.10/1. Others were around 1.15/1. It was the only restaurant bill paid in dollars on the trip.

That all being said, I hesitate to be too critical of the ownership at L'Ardoise because they were so nice to us in the past--such as providing us with free champagne and cake from their daughter's family birthday party that was on-going when we stopped in for a quick crepe last time we were there.

SBH Member

User Info Menu

QUOTE=GramChop;967067]I'd love to hear a more detailed review, if you will. Merci.[/QUOTE]

Shellona--tried going there twice. It was chaotic, crowded, and dirty and a complete sh*t show. Couldn't get a beer at the bar--although I must admit we didn't try too hard but my teenage daughter was the first person served at every other bar we went to on the island, haha. The whole scene was just unpleasant. The crowd, the uncleared tables, the trash on the floor, just nasty. Night and day compared to Nikki Beach, which was also crowded but handled with aplomb.

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Credit card every time.
    If you're going through hell, keep going- Winston Churchill

Andy

Senior Insider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Credit card every time.
    Would you give a teenager your credit card?

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Would you give a teenager your credit card?
    For one time Dinner? Of course. Ask Ellen too.

Andy

Senior Insider

User Info Menu

But what if you only had one card? Just saying not to be too judgmental when all the circumstances aren't known.

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

QUOTE=GramChop;967067]I'd love to hear a more detailed review, if you will. Merci.
    Shellona--tried going there twice. It was chaotic, crowded, and dirty and a complete sh*t show. Couldn't get a beer at the bar--although I must admit we didn't try too hard but my teenage daughter was the first person served at every other bar we went to on the island, haha. The whole scene was just unpleasant. The crowd, the uncleared tables, the trash on the floor, just nasty. Night and day compared to Nikki Beach, which was also crowded but handled with aplomb.[/QUOTE]

That's a shame. It's only been opened for mere weeks...this is not a good sign of things to come. Thanks for the feedback.

SBH Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    Thanks for your interesting perspective.

I'd love to hear more about drinking for fee at Nikki, Eddy's and Shellona.
    Nikki--for whatever reason, a couple of the regular bartenders took a liking to us and treated us like long lost family whenever we went in. Of course, we looked for them after the first time and never sat anywhere but at their end of the bar.

Eddy's--The only positive things I can say about the experience was that restaurant setting is beautiful and the wine list is reasonably priced. Other than that, it was like they had never served dinner on NYE before. It didn't help that our server appeared to be in over her head and in the weeds the entire time, but the problems went way beyond just her. And, it wasn't like they were serving a varied menu. The choices were very limited--two cold appetizer options, both probably plated well in advance of service and two entrees (filet or fish) and one dessert option. It was classic banquet food. I know they have been open for decades, so they must be doing something right. But given what I saw transpire on NYE, I would have to wonder.

SBH Member

User Info Menu

So, they bring a basket of bread. My son takes a piece and notices ants on it. We don't think much of it (we are not persnickety people and all of us have worked in restaurants and it is the tropics) and we tell him to eat another piece instead. It too has ants. We look into the bread basket and there are alot of ants. We tell Eddy and once he figures out what we are talking about and sees the ants (they were very small and it was somewhat dark) he takes it away and shortly comes back beaming saying that he had "cooked it for us". The bread was, of course, toasted. We were unclear whether he cooked it to kill the ants or got us new bread and toasted it for us as a special treat. We ate the bread.

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

That's a turnoff for sure. We would have left at that point.

Andy

SBH Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    That's a turnoff for sure. We would have left at that point.

They charged in advance, and it was NYE. Teenagers with no food on NYE in Gustavia would have been a problem. I guess we could have gone to Le Select. We kept hoping it would improve.

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

I like eddy's but that's a bad scene. Of course you were stuck.

Andy

SBH Insider

User Info Menu

Thanks for the details!

We had great meal at Eddys but our server seemed to vanish for long periods near the end. It took a long time to flag him down to order dessert and to get the bill, which was strange because the place was only about one quarter full.