Hey Mike.....thoughts on supermarket lobsters?

Bart -my real name-

Senior Insider
Mike - what are your thoughts on the lobsters in a tank at the local supermarket?

There's this outfit in the DC area who bring down lobsters, a couple times a year, from Maine. They say they pull them out of the water and put them on the truck and deliver them to the customers in something like 24 hours.

Years ago they used to run radio commercials and one of their main points was that the supermarket lobsters in the tanks can't be fed (not legal to do so) so they just sit there losing weight and turning into an inferior product as the days go by.

What do you think about any of this? Obviously the lobster you pull out of the water this morning and eat for dinner is going to the freshest lobster on the planet, but supermarket lobsters are alive too when you buy them.

I haven't tried a supermarket lobster in years and years, maybe not ever, but I was just wondering what you thought of them.

Why do you care about somebody else's taste? I buy lobsters from a supermarket or fish store tank all the time. No problem. There's no choice here.

I get that you guys are now BFF's but why are you lobbing him softballs?

Trying to get his post count over 100K?

Why do you care about somebody else's taste? I buy lobsters from a supermarket or fish store tank all the time. No problem. There's no choice here.

Just looking for his opinion in a field he knows something about.

If I was looking for advice on being a curmudgeon, I might ask you, but for seafood advice, I'll ask Mike.

Mike - what are your thoughts on the lobsters in a tank at the local supermarket?

There's this outfit in the DC area who bring down lobsters, a couple times a year, from Maine. They say they pull them out of the water and put them on the truck and deliver them to the customers in something like 24 hours.

Years ago they used to run radio commercials and one of their main points was that the supermarket lobsters in the tanks can't be fed (not legal to do so) so they just sit there losing weight and turning into an inferior product as the days go by.

What do you think about any of this? Obviously the lobster you pull out of the water this morning and eat for dinner is going to the freshest lobster on the planet, but supermarket lobsters are alive too when you buy them.

I haven't tried a supermarket lobster in years and years, maybe not ever, but I was just wondering what you thought of them.

They re fine as long as they are turned over....they are basically sitting in the tank starving to death which I would think changes the flavor of the lobster meat ..but if they re being turned over its moot......they can't eat in the tank because their claws are banded and their claws are banded because they will eat each other in the tank if not....

Just looking for his opinion in a field he knows something about.

If I was looking for advice on being a curmudgeon, I might ask you, but for seafood advice, I'll ask Mike.

It's so easy to just skip over a post made by people whose thoughts and opinions you have no interest in and mean absolutely nothing to you...try it....it's liberating

They re fine as long as they are turned over....they are basically sitting in the tank starving to death which I would think changes the flavor of the lobster meat ..but if they re being turned over its moot......they can't eat in the tank because their claws are banded and their claws are banded because they will eat each other in the tank if not....

so you don't know

so you don't know

Lol...no..I do know..it's conditional ....a lobster tank in the middle of Nebraska where they dont sell for a while is probably not a good thing ....a lobster tank in NYC where the tank is turned over weekly is probably very ok

And I'm at my desk trying to get Xmas Cards out ..STOP DISTRACTING ME

Wendi gave me just one job today....need to get it done before football

But look what I just found going through my address book..has to be 25 years old cause it was a reservation confirmation for La Residence!

IMG_1969.jpg

Lol...no..I do know..it's conditional ....a lobster tank in the middle of Nebraska where they dont sell for a while is probably not a good thing ....a lobster tank in NYC where the tank is turned over weekly is probably very ok

So frozen lobster tails might be fresher than live lobsters in the tank?