Birds of the day

JEK

Senior Insider
IMG_4291.JPG

Red-Bellied Woodpecker, right Bart?

Try feeding these guys on whole sunflower seeds!

DSC05717.jpg

Very good! When mixed flocks come through, keep an eye out for a Brown creeper. They won't come to the feeder but will travel in flocks of other birds. They're small and brown (duh!) and they work their way UP and around tree trunks. Nuthatches will work their way down the trunk in a spiral and Brown creepers will do the opposite.

I am thinking you must live on a nature preserve. Fabulous backyard activity and your shots let us in on the action!

The fox was in search of the many squirrels feasting on dropped seeds. The scrammed!

I'm guessing that mangy one didn't make it. We would see two, one beautiful and one not so beautiful.

Re: birds on SBH & a relative absence of them, as noted from Amy's recent dearth of sightings. It was a topic for discussion last week with SBH friends, & they explained to me that the success of the island's mosquito abatement program has meant that there are fewer insects, as well as mosquitoes. Birds, as a result, are thought to have less of a food supply . . . resulting in them going elsewhere. Sounds logical.

And I thought they were playing king of the hill..well, kind of the same thing isn't it?

What a beautiful animal. Since moving from the flood zone, I no longer see such wildlife. I miss it. Thanks for sharing.