lockdown competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone have a pic of islander? if not, can you come to one of the get togethers islander? I hear there is one tonight at carpe diem, I'll look for ya.

On a forum which is 100% dedicated to a French island, I would say "yes". But of course that would require a certain level of education...
Obviously you don't have that level since there is a dedicated forum for French which no one uses. This is an English forum run by an American company but that would require a certain level of education to understand it. And St Barts is only nominally French- been that way for many years.
There was a post a while back raising the question of the arrogance and nastiness of the French compared to the laid back attitude of the natives of St Barts. You prove it with every post.

Obviously you don't have that level since there is a dedicated forum for French which no one uses. This is an English forum run by an American company but that would require a certain level of education to understand it. And St Barts is only nominally French- been that way for many years.
There was a post a while back raising the question of the arrogance and nastiness of the French compared to the laid back attitude of the natives of St Barts. You prove it with every post.

On se demande vraiment qui est arrogant ici ? Quand es-tu venu en France métropolitaine pour la dernière fois ? Que connais-tu de notre pays ? Parles-tu seulement notre langue ?

L'île de Saint Barthélemy a un joli drapeau français qui flotte dans le ciel. Même si certains ne veulent pas l'admettre, ce forum est dédié à 100% au tourisme de notre belle île qui est française depuis 1648, et les habitants en sont fiers.

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité sont les valeurs de notre démocratie, et cela est valable à Paris, Papeete, St Denis de la Réunion, Cayenne ou St Barth. Tous égaux.

Quant aux insultes profanées, elles rebondissent sur la carapace de mon indifférence....

Passe un bonne journée.

I agree, and Diana is right, if Islander doesn't want to show his/her face and get to know any of us, perhaps he/she should stop criticizing us. This is a forum of people who primarily speak English (with some lovely exceptions such as Pascale) and admire a certain little French island. French is indeed the prime language here but luckily for most of the tourists, English is also widely spoken. I disagree with Andy (very politely) in saying that the island is only nominally French. It is very French. Step off the tourist trail and I can take you to places where no English has ever been spoken, and a good does of patois or Creole would be a better linguistic tool.

But for someone like Islander, who does not deign to come to any forum events, or host one for that matter, to say that he or his friend know more than anyone on the forum about the use of boat lines in the harbor is really arrogant and rude. My brother-in-law was the director of the port of Gustavia for 25 years and can tie as good a knot as anyone, as can my husband... they grew up here. boats are in their blood. And who knows who else lurks on the forum?

How about if everyone takes a deep breath and tries to make this forum a pleasant place, instead of a viper's nest! A lot of really nice people barely post anymore and that is the real shame...

You are right Ellen about my comment and I apologize. I almost only visit those areas that are touristy so I'm not exposed to the French part of the island except perhaps Au Regal and some Corossol.

well said Ellen..

as to the mooring snipe he took at me .....I remember that thread very well and I remember I was truly trying to help...then the guy got defensive and arrogant so I went back it him....I manage 117 deep water moorings in a harbor far more challenging to keep boats safe than Gustavia...I also own and maintain two deep water moorings myself and hold a 10,000 ton Ship captains license....one would think my input would at the very least be minimally welcomed...I was even at the time willing to go down to talk to them about their mooring situation, given how many boats they typically lose in a storm, and how many boats we dont lose in a storm...but it wasnt welcomed so...oh well....onward and upward i suppose....

I agree, and Diana is right, if Islander doesn't want to show his/her face and get to know any of us, perhaps he/she should stop criticizing us. This is a forum of people who primarily speak English (with some lovely exceptions such as Pascale) and admire a certain little French island. French is indeed the prime language here but luckily for most of the tourists, English is also widely spoken. I disagree with Andy (very politely) in saying that the island is only nominally French. It is very French. Step off the tourist trail and I can take you to places where no English has ever been spoken, and a good does of patois or Creole would be a better linguistic tool.

But for someone like Islander, who does not deign to come to any forum events, or host one for that matter, to say that he or his friend know more than anyone on the forum about the use of boat lines in the harbor is really arrogant and rude. My brother-in-law was the director of the port of Gustavia for 25 years and can tie as good a knot as anyone, as can my husband... they grew up here. boats are in their blood. And who knows who else lurks on the forum?

How about if everyone takes a deep breath and tries to make this forum a pleasant place, instead of a viper's nest! A lot of really nice people barely post anymore and that is the real shame...

More personal attacks! Unbelievable. By posting the above, you're just adding oil to the fire that you're trying to extinguish. I am not criticizing anyone, just responding against those who launch personal attacks against me, my country or my culture.

I personally know many of you on this forum (including you Ellen!), but not as "islander". Does that make any difference?

As I just exchanged by PM with Diana who nicely invited me to the gathering, I'll be happy to come and show "my face" to people who have a genuine interest in meeting me and not insulting me directly (such as AndyNap and MikeR). Unfortunately I'm off island at this time, but I'll be happy to join on a next meeting.

Interestingly enough, I also received several support PM's who say the same. Where is this forum going? I am often responding to the numerous agressions found on this forum coming always from the same individuals. The last one from AndyNap above is the perfect example.

As far as being arrogant and rude regarding the Gustavia harbor story, perhaps you should try to locate the discussion by doing a search on the forum archives? You will realize quickly the "who" and the "what". The friend in question is also someone you know very well, and if you knew who I am talking about, you would agree right away.

As far as taking a good breath, I agree. And everyone is concerned!

This forum should really restructure. I'm not sure if WIMCO management (the owner) realizes how bad the atmosphere can get sometimes, but it is not healthy for a business which is all about attracting new customers and promoting the beautiful island of St Barthélemy.

I hope the nice people will return and start posting again, and that the forum becomes a pleasant place again.

More personal attacks! Unbelievable. By posting the above, you're just adding oil to the fire that you're trying to extinguish. I am not criticizing anyone, just responding against those who launch personal attacks against me, my country or my culture.

I personally know many of you on this forum (including you Ellen!), but not as "islander". Does that make any difference?

As I just exchanged by PM with Diana who nicely invited me to the gathering, I'll be happy to come and show "my face" to people who have a genuine interest in meeting me and not insulting me directly (such as AndyNap and MikeR). Unfortunately I'm off island at this time, but I'll be happy to join on a next meeting.

Interestingly enough, I also received several support PM's who say the same. Where is this forum going? I am often responding to the numerous agressions found on this forum coming always from the same individuals. The last one from AndyNap above is the perfect example.

As far as being arrogant and rude regarding the Gustavia harbor story, perhaps you should try to locate the discussion by doing a search on the forum archives? You will realize quickly the "who" and the "what". The friend in question is also someone you know very well, and if you knew who I am talking about, you would agree right away.

As far as taking a good breath, I agree. And everyone is concerned!

This forum should really restructure. I'm not sure if WIMCO management (the owner) realizes how bad the atmosphere can get sometimes, but it is not healthy for a business which is all about attracting new customers and promoting the beautiful island of St Barthélemy.

I hope the nice people will return and start posting again, and that the forum becomes a pleasant place again.

I agree and look forward to meeting you. And if I know you already, please send a PM and tell me who you are, I'm curious!

And perhaps we all need to read and re-read posts before posting to make sure the critical edge has been removed. this should not be a forum for one-upmanship or criticizing other members.... the forum is meant to promote the island and provide information to visitors, tips, techniques, pitfalls, etc... familiarity and the contempt it breeds can be kept offline...

I can assure you the number of wonderful friendships both Andy and I have made in this site that have jumped over into real life far far far outnumbers the small handful of haters we have .....nobody ever gets 100-% approval in any large scale social setting, either virtual or real, and I'm fine with having a few haters ....it's life ..but before you get on your poor pitiful me victim of verbal abuse and just a Boy Scout at heart BS and we are the devil reincarnate, let me remind you of the ridiculous middle school and very laughable veiled threat you sent me last night in PM.....which I would be more than happy to share in here if you'd like :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.