Restos 18 Final

KevinS

Senior Insider
The last few weeks have brought many additional changes, some of which have been pointed out to me by the SBHOnline community - Thanks!. I think that I have them all included here, but I still struggle with Modjo's hours. Here are the big changes for this year, as well as a few notable changes from last year:

The long-awaited (9 years!) opening of Le Barthélemy hotel on the beach in Grand Cul de Sac brings several new food and beverage operations on line. Le Barth is open for breakfast (non-guests welcome) and lunch. Aux Amis is open for dinner, Le Turquoise is their beach bar, and Le Bar is their main bar with cocktails and small plates. The menus have been created by Chef Guy Martin (Michelin-starred Le Grand Véfour in Paris).

Monbart in Gustavia has morphed into 25 Quarter. Same owners, different concept, some interesting small plates, major US sporting events may be on TV.

Les Artistes in Lorient is now La Bohème.

La Baguette by Choisy is the Lorient branch of Boulangerie Choisy in Gustavia, located near Oasis. They have parking, and tables for those who want a French or American breakfast. Le Spot by Choisy serves Sushi and Pizza from the same location.

Bistro Josephine is a new Creole/French restaurant (lunch/dinner), opened by chef Jean-Paul Adley of Island Flavors. Both are located around the corner from Sibarth, on Rue Victor Hugo. Island Flavors offers takeout meals, with a few tables in the back garden.

Burger Palace, a mostly takeout/delivery burger place across from the post office, has found a niche.

Carpe Diem has opened in the former Ti Zouk K'fe/Thi Widi location in Gustavia. It has become popular with visitors and locals alike for wallet-friendly lunch and dinner, with a pasta/grill emphasis on the menu.

Le Carré is under new management, with an all-new menu. A name change to Bo Káo is in the works, with an expected opening date around December 15. It appears that the menu will be Japanese-Peruvian, created by Executive Chef Luis Arevalo (Kena in Madrid, http://www.kenadeluisarevalo.com/)

Villa Marie is a new hotel in the former François Plantation location in Colombier. They open in mid-December, with a restaurant called François Plantation, an homage to the original hotel/restaurant.

The Manapany on Anse des Cayes has closed, and has new owners. Expect them to reopen in 2017.

La Guérite replaced La Provença St Barth in the former Wall House location, managed by Pascal Ramette of Pa Cri, with a Mediterranean menu.

Orega, in the former Le Sapotillier location across from Eddy's, was the star of the 2015 – 2016 season. All indications are that it will continue to be a star. Make reservations.

Pipiri Palace is under new ownership, with Rodrigue (formerly at Chez Joe/Aérosnack) now at the helm. They're open for lunch and dinner, with a local following for their moderately-priced lunch specials.

Santa Fé in Lurin is under new ownership (David and Christophe, manager and chef from Dõ Brazil) with an updated menu and modified hours. They have been doing a huge lunch business, and reservations are recommended.

Tom's Juice Bar and Raw Café have moved from St Jean (Kiki-é-Mo) to the upper level of Crémaillère Alley in Gustavia, across from the Municipal Police Station.

Le Vietnam is now open for dinner only. Lack of parking and road construction have made lunch untenable. Perhaps they will again open for lunch when the road construction in Gustavia is complete.

La Boucherie St Jean in St Jean has closed. Sadly, with the closing of La Boucherie, I (heart) BBQ , the parking lot BBQ location, has also closed.

Meat My Fish, a new butcher/fish store has opened in Camaruche.

La Vie Claire, an organic grocery, has opened in the heights of Anse des Cayes, in the former Tendances location.

The pizza guy from L'Entracte is now working out of Chez Rolande in Flamands, creole during the day, pizza at night.

Dõ Brazil has been purchased by the new owners of the Hotel Carl Gustav. It is undergoing renovations, and is expected to re-open as Shellona around December 15, with a serial DJ festival over New Years.

Maman, the Tropical Hotel's new restaurant, is scheduled to open on December 3. They're offering breakfast, lunch, tapas, and Saturday and Sunday brunch.

Rocks Bar at the Eden Rock opens at 17:00 for sunset cocktails.

And, for my ongoing struggle to remember which restaurants are open for dinner on Sunday night, as well as the most up to date answer to Tim's question of just how many restaurants there are on St Barth, here's Restos18:

View attachment restos18.pdf

I located resto2.doc from 2005 for comparison purposes :D

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

You voluntarily undertake this tremendous task/challenge and your readers are ever so glad you do. Once again, Nicely done, Kevin. Hugs.

nice work kevin, might I suggest that kevin be a 4th moderator? it might give the other mods a break sometimes. he is on here quite often, and always with very valuable information.

nice work kevin, might I suggest that kevin be a 4th moderator? it might give the other mods a break sometimes. he is on here quite often, and always with very valuable information.

Thanks, but no thanks. Herding cats is not a job to which I aspire. I'll just continue trying to keep my signal-to-noise ratio at an appropriate level.

Kevin - thank you SO much! It is fun to review before we leave and is a great source of info. while we are there. really appreciate it.

103 it is, but I suspect that La Pigeonnière may now be an Honorable Mention in respect to the late Jean Magras, and the real number is 102. Looking at Restos2 from 2005, which JEK posted above, that one was about 82. It is interesting to to see who I overlooked but have now found, who has come, and who has gone in the intermediate years.

With sufficient time and with sufficient libations at hand, I can tell a story about almost all of the names from Restos2 which no longer appear in Restos18. Change is a constant, especially in the restaurant business. For example, in Restos2, Santa Fé was still sort of a burger joint. It would later be purchased by Michelle from OAK, and for her first year she was working with Jean-?, formerly at Lafayette Club and then Cap Au Sud at Hotel Three Forces. Manu later purchased Santa Fé, grew the business greatly, and sold it to David and Christophe last June.