Une Perspective Inattendue sur Saint-Barth

cassidain

Senior Insider
15350653_892259880875113_1578454510439606116_n.jpg

via Corail Hélicoptères FB

Heli flying "the corridor" approach to SBH. "1500 feet, reporting abeam Fourchue". Next, "Sugar loaf final approach for runway 10".

I know that view well. There is a small bench nearby, where I spent hours sitting, reading, and enjoying the view.

Many years ago I used to rent that villa with a group of friends over Thanksgiving. I have many, many memories of the villa and the view. We were there for the time of The Great Lime Shortage, when Citron Vert disappeared from the grocery stores, and the lime tree on the property was our friend. Most years, Thanksgiving Dinner came from Taste Unlimited in Gustavia, where Claude dispensed a mere golf ball of Cranberry Sauce with each turkey - in subsequent years I brought down bags of fresh cranberries, and made my own. We cooked our own Thanksgiving dinner there once, despite the challenge of the oven being calibrated in Gas Marks instead of Fahrenheit or Celsius. I sat on the covered terrace one night during a huge lightning storm, wondering what would happen if lightning hit the USS Hué City, a Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser moored below the villa. I could go on and on...

The villa became a private residence after we rented it a few times, and we moved on to other villas. That was also about the time that group trips ended for us, and we began renting our own villa. The villa has since been expanded to a 5BR villa, and is out of my price range.

The view when you come around that corner in the top left of the photo still takes my breath away.

The Goveurneur drive is probably the most spectacular drive on the island. The photos shared on this thread are wonderful! Kevin- reading between the lines, your memories bring back a lot of joy for you and your family over the years! We love swimming with the turtles at Forchue!

Kevin . . . I somehow missed your earlier post -- great to read of your happy recollection of festive, relaxed times (no doubt celebrating your birthday as well as Thanksgiving!). Meanwhile, of course, you & Kate continue to enjoy amazing visits to SBH, generously sharing them with us.