Tip Solicitation List

cassidain

Senior Insider
I'd like to start a list (sticky) of all restos which openly solicit tips upon presentation of l'addition. That practice makes my blood boil and I would like to be forewarned so as to avoid those establishments.

One that made the suggestion actually printed the suggested amount on the bill.

It won't keep me from going to the other one since it is a favorite, and I suggested I prefer to tip in cash

such as some of you guys did with hopper's posts in here, ( notice that hopper's been silent since the last critique of his posts) read it and move on.....cross out the tip line and let it go. they understand its not supposed to be on there, so you will have no problem. I still leave between 2 and 3 euros, if they do not like this tip, I will be happy to take it back. I am always greeted warmly at all the restaurants that I go to, so I guess my tip is okay with them.

This just in:

From: "contact@mayas-stbarth.com" <contact@mayas-stbarth.com>
Subject: Maya's - Cooney
Date: December 7, 2016 at 2:42:28 PM CST
To: @gmail.com

Dear Lisa and dear Dennis,

I can propose you a table at 7.30 p.m.
Please confirm ASAP.
Merci.

Dora

PS : If you would like to leave a tip please leave it in cash. We can no longer put tips on a credit card.

Dora
contact@mayas-stbarth.com

Dennis I will think of you and Lisa on NYE and ask that you give Dora our best wishes in the New Year.

Dennis I will think of you and Lisa on NYE and ask that you give Dora our best wishes in the New Year.

Maya's is Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day Lunch is Sand Bar.

We are coming home 12/28 so no NYE on St Barth's.

We will wish her Merry Christmas on your behalf!

I'd like to start a list (sticky) of all restos which openly solicit tips upon presentation of l'addition. That practice makes my blood boil and I would like to be forewarned so as to avoid those establishments.

I think it depends.

(I thought I posted this a couple hours ago but I guess I never hit "send")

Orega
Cote Port
Tamarin
Eddy's (90% sure)

I wish I paid more attention to the other places we've eaten, but it seemed like the majority of places asked if we wanted to add a tip. Like I said in the Orega thread, there was no pre-printed "tip" line but just about every place asked.

Le Banniers and Gloriette didn't ask if we wanted to add anything, but they may have been the only ones.

One that made the suggestion actually printed the suggested amount on the bill.

It won't keep me from going to the other one since it is a favorite, and I suggested I prefer to tip in cash

What was the suggested amount/percentage?

Well, if the proprietor or his wife waits on you and delivers the check.

In the USA, anyway, that is a situation when you traditionally wouldn't tip, imo. A hair salon/barber shop being the classic example. (The rules on this appear to have loosened up a bit lately, I think.)

(That all being said, I tip many more people outside of the traditional situations than I used to do. I figure most of them need the money more than me. And no, we are not "wealthy"--at least in a Northeastern USA sense.)