Tip Solicitation List

It depends who your [sic] are and how you act.

I'll concede that in general. But can you imagine some dweeb server asking Pascale or Islander if, surely, he or she doesn't want to add a tip to the l'addition ? I can hear the cries of righteous indignation from here.

I'll concede that in general. But can you imagine some dweeb server asking Pascale or Islander if, surely, he or she doesn't want to add a tip to the l'addition ? I can hear the righteous indignation from here.

Did you really add the " [sic] " to the quote of JEK's post!?!?!?

That's a new high (or low) for the site.

Well, if the proprietor or his wife waits on you and delivers the check.
If part of the tip went to the kitchen staff, as in the U.S., why differentiate between the owner or a waiter? I personally see the effort to persuade patrons to tip when it has not been traditionally done as an effort to change an established practice in the same vein as progressives here in the states, start talking about a change you desire and eventually it will become commonplace.

If part of the tip went to the kitchen staff, as in the U.S., why differentiate between the owner or a waiter? I personally see the effort to persuade patrons to tip when it has not been traditionally done as an effort to change an established practice in the same vein as progressives here in the states, start talking about a change you desire and eventually it will become commonplace.

You miss my point.

No, you missed my point. I understand about the owner of a business not being tipped because they would profit from the transaction anyway {hopefully}. You do realize don't you that waiters share their tips with everyone that works there. If tipping is commonplace, then the owner should be tipped also or the staff would suffer.

No, you missed my point. I understand about the owner of a business not being tipped because they would profit from the transaction anyway {hopefully}. You do realize don't you that waiters share their tips with everyone that works there. If tipping is commonplace, then the owner should be tipped also or the staff would suffer.

Once again you missed my point. I have never been asked to tip at Eddy's of anywhere else. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Once again you missed my point. I have never been asked to tip at Eddy's of anywhere else. Maybe I'm just lucky.

ditto, me either. but most of the restaurants know me when I arrive.

and cass, if being asked to tip would make your blood boil, lol, wonder what a real problem would do. why would you care, they are asking not putting a gun to your head........too funny. just say no.

and cass, if being asked to tip would make your blood boil, lol, wonder what a real problem would do. why would you care, they are asking not putting a gun to your head........too funny. just say no.

i'll let pascale field that question for me whenever she pops up.

Once again you missed my point. I have never been asked to tip at Eddy's of [sic] anywhere else. Maybe I'm just lucky.

tee-hee-hee. watch out, bart, the site's going to crash in on you. (it's all in fun, mon ami)

for the record, i've never been asked if i desired to, nor encouraged to, leave a pourboire on saint-barth. but, i read from time to time, like recently concerning orega, that some restaurants do encourage at least certain clients to add an additional service amount to the check.
i generally leave a pourboire of 5% or so anywhere in france for correct service. i do so directly to the server and always en espèces. it's a completely personal transaction. if we dine in grand restaurants with layers of staff i leave no pourboire.

The times they might be a-changin'.

We've been to 11 restaurants so far, and I can only distinctly remember 2 places that did't ask us if we wanted to add something to the bill. There may have been one or two more that I've forgotten about, but the vast majority of restaurants have asked if we wanted to add anything. In years past, it's always been a bit of a chore to keep small bills/coins on hand for tipping purposes, but this year it's been easy. As I said above, I actually like the option of charging a (country-apprioate) tip on the card. It takes the pressure off.

And as far as I can tell, we look and act the same as the last few years.