Every Step Needed To Fly Into St. Barths

JEK

Senior Insider
A great article on the famous landing spot of the mainstream rich and famous.

Many instructional videos are embedded.

It's been called one of the most challenging airports in the world. The Gustaf III Airport in Saint Barthelemy provides a unique set of challenges for the pilots who must be individually trained and certified to land on its single runway.
You've probably seen the incredible videos of planes taking off and landing here, so what exactly does it take to fly into such a challenging airport? We wanted to find out how pilots are trained to fly into St. Barths and what specific risks they face on either end of its runway. We spoke to Nick Ogle, the Chief Pilot of Tradewind Aviation to find out more.
If you've ever dreamt of flying here yourself, read below and find out one way to do it...

http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/learn-to-fly/performance/flying-into-the-st-barths-airport/

[h=2]This should be kept for all the folks who want to discuss using the ferry.

It's All About Location[/h]It seems like such a strange place to put an airport! The St. Barths airport is incredibly convenient for tourists visiting the island, far more so than the 20 mile boat ride from St. Maarten

This article is nothing else than a promotional blog for Tradewind.

Local pilots, including those flying for St Barth Commuter (the owner himself is a pilot and also happens to be the president of the island), Winair, Windward Express, Air Caraibes, Trans Anguilla, Anguilla Air Services, Air Paradise, and many more....all have been flying into SBH long before Tradewind did ever put a foot (or wheel) on SBH's tarmac.

Please spare us the (hidden) promotional material here, and all will be fine! :wink2:

I agree. Islander is not a fan of a Tradewind for some odd reason.

IMG_4281.jpg

There is Tradewind written all over it.

JEK you can't be further from the truth. I have a couple of good friends working as pilots in the company, and I know the owners quite well. I also have business interests with Tradewind. I believe Tradewind offers excellent service, with safe and reliable planes and flight crew.

Modern digital marketing techniques include blogging and "stories" inclusions on third-party websites. This is one of them. Nothing wrong with it, all businesses do it as it's very efficient.

What bothers me in this article is that Tradewind is presented as being "the SBH airline" with the Tradewind chief pilot the person to talk to if you want to know all about it... Having a senior moderator of sbhonline constantly pushing a specific company (for some odd reason) could be seen as hidden promotion (hence my remark). How about pushing the other airlines also? After all, some of them are paying yearly advertisements to sbhonline and should be promoted as much as Tradewind is....St Barth Commuter would be a good start, as they are the only "true local airline"....They are much cheaper than Tradewind and are "the link" to SXM. Their chief pilot is a very interesting guy, a real St Barths local with an amazing story.

As I said before, Tradewind is still fairly new to the Caribbean aviation world and more specifically to St Barths. The other airlines I mentioned above have (for some of them) decades of experience into SBH, and some of their pilots thousands of landings here, accounting for far more SBH experience than any Tradewind pilot will ever have (most Tradewind pilots are newbies building up hours to land a larger airline job).

If you ever need to publish an article about the SBH aviation veterans, get in touch and I will forward some pilot contact details.;)

What's hilarious is Islander hasn't figured out this is an advertising site cleverly disguised as a discussion forum...LOL

Silly.

Trust me, I know quite well that this is a commercial site since I am a direct contributor paying every year for our business add. Don't think many members can say the same, can you?

And I'm not trying to disguise or push our business through smart posting.

Thread drift. Said what I had to say about this article. Pulling the parking break right here.

Silly.

Trust me, I know quite well that this is a commercial site since I am a direct contributor paying every year for our business add. Don't think many members can say the same, can you?

And I'm not trying to disguise or push our business through smart posting.

Thread drift. Said what I had to say about this article. Pulling the parking break right here.

so what is your business ad (not add, by the way)?

As indicated, I'm not mixing it with the forum, otherwise my signature as a member (for the last 11 years) would include a direct link to our website. AND I pulled the brake on this topic despite the support PM's received.

PS: Thanks for the spelling correction. I see that you never miss an opportunity to correct posters...

Déformation professionnelle, peut-être ? Je ne manquerai pas de faire la même chose pour tes interventions en français...à la lettre près, bien sûr ! LOL

I agree with Islander, but that is not a shock I am sure.

this site is merely a chat site, more or less. some of the mods play favorites, some don't. every now and again, some real information gets through. a lot of the time its just banter between people who don't seem to like each other very much.

As indicated, I'm not mixing it with the forum, otherwise my signature as a member (for the last 11 years) would include a direct link to our website. AND I pulled the brake on this topic despite the support PM's received.

PS: Thanks for the spelling correction. I see that you never miss an opportunity to correct posters...

Déformation professionnelle, peut-être ? Je ne manquerai pas de faire la même chose pour tes interventions en français...à la lettre près, bien sûr ! LOL

I didn't think you would mind, since your English is almost perfect, you might as well go for 100%...

I agree with Islander, but that is not a shock I am sure.

this site is merely a chat site, more or less. some of the mods play favorites, some don't. every now and again, some real information gets through. a lot
of the time its just banter between people who don't seem to like each other very much.

Are you serious?