virtual Private Networking. A tutorial

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a paid VPN provider for iOS iPhone/iPad they've used and or like?

Using open wifi isn't safe anymore and I'd like a safer option with good coverage for travel in N. America and Caribbean. (That island would be a plus too.)

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a paid VPN provider for iOS iPhone/iPad they've used and or like?

Using open wifi isn't safe anymore and I'd like a safer option with good coverage for travel in N. America and Caribbean. (That island would be a plus too.)
Yes- VPN Express

I also use VPN Express from Express Network Solutions. For security purposes, it seems to work well. For watching/listening to media content outside of the US, most work OK. You get a free block of data, and then purchase additional blocks as needed.

Thanks Mike, Andy and Kevin. It's a bit of a crowded market segment. Lots of providers, free and paid.

Kevin, is this the iOS version of the app you referred to?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vpn-express-free-mobile-vpn/id375584677?mt=8

I ask since there is also these guys named ExpressVPN (unlimited bandwidth)
https://www.expressvpn.com/

For my use - speed and avail. of VPN servers in-region would be slightly more important - cost isn't (within reason.) I have access to our company VPN but it's a long haul and wouldn't be my first choice.

That's the app that I use. It uses the "buy a block of bandwidth" pricing model. The ExpressVPN app, which I haven't tried, is a subscription pricing model.

That's the app that I use. It uses the "buy a block of bandwidth" pricing model. The ExpressVPN app, which I haven't tried, is a subscription pricing model.

Yes. Understood. Thanks for the info. It always helpful to know "what works"!

I ended up pulling the trigger on F-Secure's Freedome VPN service. Long time Finnish security company.

7 devices, for 12 months, for $40. (50% off in March.)

I'm happy with it so far. Performance is fine. Mac OS installer is a bit wonky, but it's been great on iOS and my PCs.

Also :up: to F-Secure's Freedome. It's a bit more security and privacy oriented than your average VPN providers.