Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 108

Thread: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

  1. #1
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,194

    Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    This might be a challenge for some. You can only recommend ONE dinner restaurant...not two, just ONE. Go!
    Last edited by GramChop; 11-30-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Clarification
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  2. #2
    JEK is offline
    Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,662

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    I took a newbie last trip and we ate (nearly) everywhere. His choice for food and ambiance was L'Esprit du Jean-Claude Dufour. I'd have to agree -- the finest table on the island, IMO.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

  3. #3
    Mrsm6-7-08 is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Jan 2013 Long Island Posts: 213

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    I would recommend the restaurant at Le Toiny, specifically the truffle pasta dish and the view if its still daylight

  4. #4
    cassidain is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,453

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    I took a newbie last trip and we ate (nearly) everywhere. His choice for food and ambiance was L'Esprit du Jean-Claude Dufour. I'd have to agree -- the finest table on the island, IMO.
    perhaps finest table, but perhaps not finest total dining experience └MHA
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la SantÚ

    If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...└MHA

  5. #5
    Bart -my real name- is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,165

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    perhaps finest table, but perhaps not finest total dining experience └MHA
    So are you gonna finish your thought or leave us hanging?!?!?!?

  6. #6
    cassidain is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,453

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    It's well-known that my opinion is that best combination of cuisine, ambiance, service, and vibe is L'Isola.
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la SantÚ

    If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...└MHA

  7. #7
    andynap is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,759

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    With all the new places opening this season I would wait for some more reviews.


    Andy

  8. #8
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,194

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    With all the new places opening this season I would wait for some more reviews.
    But, if you had to give YOUR one choice, based on YOUR personal experience to date, what would it be?
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  9. #9
    JEK is offline
    Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,662

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    perhaps finest table, but perhaps not finest total dining experience └MHA
    We didn't take our Newbie there -- too New York
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

  10. #10
    andynap is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,759

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by GramChop View Post
    But, if you had to give YOUR one choice, based on YOUR personal experience to date, what would it be?
    I can't. Been out of the loop for 2 years and too much has changed.


    Andy

  11. #11
    cec1 is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,643

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Missy . . . I think there's a missing parameter in your question -- lunch or dinner? Some most favorite places only are open at dinner.

  12. #12
    Bart -my real name- is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,165

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    It's well-known that my opinion is that best combination of cuisine, ambiance, service, and vibe is L'Isola.
    Yes, but you can get overpriced Italian anywhere in the world , and you can inside in the dark anywhere in the world . Shouldn't the pick be more St. Barts centric? Obviously for you it isn't, but for me it would be.


    I'd go with a place that is either on the beach, or has a great view. Then I'd add the SBH factor of chic, hip, and beautiful people and a bit of a scene. And finally I'd pick a place with good and interesting food.

    Drumroll please................

    I'd send a newbie to Nikki Beach. Boom! Not on a Sunday though.

    It wouldn't be my first choice for my ONE restaurant, but if I was advising someone who wanted to get a lot St. Barts in one setting, that's where I'd send them.


    Mike R - I'm ready.........let the beatings begin!

  13. #13
    Bart -my real name- is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,165

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    Missy . . . I think there's a missing parameter in your question -- lunch or dinner? Some most favorite places only are open at dinner.
    She made it clear.......ONE restaurant! Everything else is up to you......Lunch, dinner, meat, fish, French, Italian, Creole, etc

  14. #14
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,194

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    Missy . . . I think there's a missing parameter in your question -- lunch or dinner? Some most favorite places only are open at dinner.
    You are correct, Den. Thank you! I've corrected my question.
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  15. #15
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,194

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    Yes, but you can get overpriced Italian anywhere in the world , and you can inside in the dark anywhere in the world . Shouldn't the pick be more St. Barts centric? Obviously for you it isn't, but for me it would be.


    I'd go with a place that is either on the beach, or has a great view. Then I'd add the SBH factor of chic, hip, and beautiful people and a bit of a scene. And finally I'd pick a place with good and interesting food.

    Drumroll please................

    I'd send a newbie to Nikki Beach. Boom! Not on a Sunday though.

    It wouldn't be my first choice for my ONE restaurant, but if I was advising someone who wanted to get a lot St. Barts in one setting, that's where I'd send them.


    Mike R - I'm ready.........let the beatings begin!
    I'm asking for YOUR first choice. Period. YOURS!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  16. #16
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,194

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    She made it clear.......ONE restaurant! Everything else is up to you......Lunch, dinner, meat, fish, French, Italian, Creole, etc
    For the purposes of this particular thread, I've clarified to reflect DINNER. There may be another for Lunch down the road.
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  17. #17
    amyb is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,142

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    L'Esprit still has the best chef on the island. I vote Jean-Claude du Four and I am thrilled that the pigeon dish reappears on the 2016-2017 menu!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

  18. #18
    dadto6 is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2013 Northern Virginia Posts: 2,086

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    L'Esprit my 1st choice

  19. #19
    BBT is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,048

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Tamarin
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

  20. #20
    KevinS is online now
    Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 20,219

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Tamarin is magical, especially at night.

  21. #21
    BBT is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,048

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    Tamarin is magical, especially at night.
    Agree, we have been know to stay 4 hours while dining there its feels to us less like a restaurant than most.
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

  22. #22
    JEK is offline
    Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,662

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    I go for the salmon
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

  23. #23
    BBT is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,048

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    I go for the salmon
    its locally caught you know
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

  24. #24
    Bart -my real name- is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,165

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by GramChop View Post
    I'm asking for YOUR first choice. Period. YOURS!
    Alright, alright.............BUT.........your question was "what would you suggest?" not "what would you pick?"

    Harumph!

  25. #25
    Bart -my real name- is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,165

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by GramChop View Post
    For the purposes of this particular thread, I've clarified to reflect DINNER. There may be another for Lunch down the road.
    Does the famed quote, "The best dinner on St Barts is a lunch a xxxxxx" count here??!?!?!

  26. #26
    thomasj is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Nov 2009 Toronto Posts: 283

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    based on my experiences on my last visit, I would 2nd (or 3rd) Tamarin when you take into account service x setting x food. As fun as it is, and even with their nice locations and settings - I did not think the food at Nikki and L'Isola was very good.
    LAST VISIT: December 2018
    NEXT VISIT: March 2019 (for my Birthday!)
    St. Barth Je t'aime (except all the smoking...)

  27. #27
    LMAC is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2003 Northern Virginia Posts: 1,567

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Orega
    Libby

  28. #28
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,194

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Who's the PITA now?
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    I go for the salmon
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  29. #29
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,194

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    Does the famed quote, "The best dinner on St Barts is a lunch a xxxxxx" count here??!?!?!
    Ok, PITA, Jr.....!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  30. #30
    NorCalCpl is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Feb 2008 Northern California Posts: 239

    Re: Speaking of Newbies: What ONE Dinner Restaurant Would You Suggest?

    I would have to agree with LMAC. The NorCal clan had our favorite dining experience last trip at Orega. The food was very good and the atmosphere was fun. The view was nothing special (in town) but we did have the good fortune of having the lovely Kate Kova stop by our table-side window to chat us up a bit and shoot a picture of the family for us!
    "Age improves with wine"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •