The Cathol Bishop of Guadeloupe and St. Barth Meets the Episcopal Priest of St. Barth

EddyG

SBH Insider
Bishop Jean-Vves Riocreux, formerly the pastor of Notre Dame in Paris and now the Catholic Bishop of the French Islands including St. Barth visited St. Barth for a ceremony at the Swedish cemetery and then officiated at mass at the church in Gustavia. My understanding is that he met the Anglican Priest for St. Barth, Bob Hales, at this ceremony and Priest Bob decided to attend the Catholic Mass Saturday evening in Gustavia.

I was fortunate to have met Archdeacon Bob Hales earlier at Le Select - including at the 67th anniversary celebration - so I was surprised to see him at the Catholic service. But I thought only in St. Barth could this happen.

I of course had my camera with me and as the Bishop ended the service he made a very special greeting to Archdeacon Bob Hales I had to take a few photos.

Then the Bishop greeted me and ask me where I was from and was very happy to take some photos. So there were more.

Only in St. Barth could I be with Archdeacon Bob Hales, Bishop Jean-Vves Riocreux, and the Parish Pastor and Sister.

After the group photo the Bishop, Archdeacon and I had a wonderful conversation that I was blessed to be at.

Again, only in St. Barth!

DSC02205 e.jpg

DSC02207e.jpg

DSC02209 e.jpg

DSC02212 e.jpg

I never thought I would be in a photo like this!!! Shorts with the bishop?

DSC02213 e.jpg

The Bishop and Archdeacon are both wonderful leaders that are helping make our world better. It's still old St. Barth for me.

I also had occasion to meet each of them, Eddy . . . very fine men who inspire with their serenity. You write so well of becoming acquainted with them!

I can only imagine this conversation, Ed. The beautiful thing about God's love is it transcends religion. A relationship with God can be had whether you are Protestant or Catholic. American or French. Isn't that such a wonderful gift!? So happy you have this memory now. The smile on your face is almost as brilliant as your shorts. So happy you had your camera!

I normally do not bring my camera to the service, but I arrived to see this unusual flower outline of the entrance, so I went back to get my camera. And then I had to keep using it to create another special St. Barth experience. Many thanks for all of the great comments!

DSC02188 eps.jpg