Hillbilly Elegy, by J.D. Vance

JEK

Senior Insider
It has been on the NYT top for a long time and is an important read this time of year. Just finished it yesterday.

fullsizeoutput_baed.jpg

Through their struggles it is interesting to see them realize their power one by one of their votes- one could argue maybe- only in our country. Their voices are not solicited or heard in all of the 'hoopla' when they speak but they were heard loud and clear on November 8th.

Too funny, I just saw this. Wish I did earlier, because I just finished the book yesterday. Afterward I did some online reading to get other's opinions. My mixed feelings were confirmed by other reviewers on my favorite book site: Goodreads. Certainly the memoir stuff was interesting but the social commentary was thin on substance IMHO. One my favorite reviews described it as 80% earnest memoir and 20% humblebrag.

He does capture that poor working class mentality. I spent 18 years in a rural central PA school district that exhibits many of the same qualities as Appalachia. So if you want to learn more about this demographic, and how one young man made his way out of the poverty cycle, its a decent read.

Starting this one. For Appalachia setting read Rick Bragg's EVA'S MAN and ALL OVER BUT THE SHOUTING

Just finished it.

Amazing that Vance rose from this environment to become a lawyer. Aim high, and you will never fall short. I liked the Bragg books more. Vance's story is heartbreaking and a little heartwarming too.

He owes much to the United States Marine Corps and The Ohio State University. Most meaningful was the role and sanctuary his loving grandparents provided in his nightmarish childhood.