Thread: Tropical Hotel

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,088

Tropical Hotel

Very excited that I just got an email regarding the reopening of the Tropical Hotel. I was so disappointed when I previously read it was to be torn down. Reopens 12/3

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 Albany, NY Posts: 2,805

Re: Tropical Hotel

Just saw that ....it's now a "pop up" boutique hotel, in collaboration with maman NYC ; looks like there's a brunch now, but not sure if it's open to public?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance !

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2003 upstate new york Posts: 255

The rates are almost double !
    Bprimomo@aol.com

if you want rainbows You have to put up with the rain

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,482

Quote Originally Posted by primo View Post
    The rates are almost double !
    New proprietors. Les chambres relookÚes Boho-chic.
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la SantÚ

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...└MHA

Nice to see that is hasn't been torn down as it is just down the hill from our villa...we have walked by it a million times in our lifetime and happy to see it has been "fixed up" without major reconstruction ...
    Steve and Aimee

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 9,175

The way we read it brunches are open to the public Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30-4. Room rates start at 320E and go up to 515E plus 5%, breakfast (petit) included. Hotel opens 12/3.

http://www.tropicalhotel-stbarth.com

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2009 Toronto Posts: 283

I'm booking my 5th trip to SBH this winter and strongly considering Tropical. It has never appealed to me before, I usually book Salines Garden, Normandie (i.e. more "economical" options) however this renovation and cafe/restauant partnership looks promising. Also the location seems very good as well. I will report back after my stay.
    NEXT VISIT: March 2019 (for my Birthday!)
    St. Barth Je t'aime (except all the smoking...)

We just got back from the island and we walk by the Tropical several times on our way down to beach and such....didn't look like much has changed and we did not see much going on....
    Steve and Aimee

thanks for the reply, that doesn't sound promising. I sure hope that the renos mirror what is being hinted at on their new website (with elevated rates to match). Since I'm going High Season, I will still take a chance on the "new" Tropical. fingers crossed.

looks like the Tropical opened last weekend and they have some new images on their website: http://www.tropicalhotel-stbarth.com/en/

not sure what this little hotel looked like before (never stayed here) but looks like they did a pretty ok job with some paint and fresh furnishings. And the location can't be beat. Looking forward to my stay.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 Albany, NY Posts: 2,805

I have stayed there a few times , Thomas; and it does look like they painted and added new furniture . The bar area was always quaint, and the pool is the same; but w / new chairs. I am curious about the rooms....the only advertise "superior" rooms; with ocean view. There were also garden rooms at a lesser price in the old Tropical; so I wonder if they just consider all of them "superior" now?
    Will be interested in your report; enjoy your stay, it's a great location!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance !

Sooooo I've arrived on the island and am staying at the Tropical until my cottage rental becomes available. Quick review: it's basically what we North Americans call a motel. A Caribbean style motel to be exact. What they did here is a "refresh" - paint job, some new furniture and a snazzed up bar rather than a renovation. The rooms are tiny tiny and the fixtures seem original and old - the reason they don't dare show pictures of the bathrooms on their website. The "Sea view" is really "parking lot" view. Most of the rooms overlook the interior garden, which is lovely. Pool area is tiny and adjacent to the road so tons of noise. Plus construction noise up the hill can be heard. Staff is pleasant and friendly in that SBH/island way. Breakfast is on par with what a budget SBH hotel would offer, the coffee is horrific. The deal breaker (besides the noise) are the jacked up rates. IMHO the room rates are crazy, insanely inflated (even by SBH crazy standards) for a motel that wasn't thoroughly renovated - the rooms are nowhere near worth 444 per night in their current state. The rate shouldn't be more than 250 per night and only cause it is SBH. An equivalent hotel anywhere else tropical would be 100-150.
    Final words: stick with the Normandie or Salines Garden when you need a wallet friendly place for a few nights while waiting for your villa. Tropical Hotel is a nice try but a pass for me.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2013 Northern Virginia Posts: 2,126

Thank you for your take and information you provided to others for consideration.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,214

Thanks for providing the review thomasj. It's a bummer that it's not more up to par to your expectations. I'd be disappointed too.
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,119

Quote Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
    Sooooo I've arrived on the island and am staying at the Tropical until my cottage rental becomes available. Quick review: it's basically what we North Americans call a motel. A Caribbean style motel to be exact. What they did here is a "refresh" - paint job, some new furniture and a snazzed up bar rather than a renovation. The rooms are tiny tiny and the fixtures seem original and old - the reason they don't dare show pictures of the bathrooms on their website. The "Sea view" is really "parking lot" view. Most of the rooms overlook the interior garden, which is lovely. Pool area is tiny and adjacent to the road so tons of noise. Plus construction noise up the hill can be heard. Staff is pleasant and friendly in that SBH/island way. Breakfast is on par with what a budget SBH hotel would offer, the coffee is horrific. The deal breaker (besides the noise) are the jacked up rates. IMHO the room rates are crazy, insanely inflated (even by SBH crazy standards) for a motel that wasn't thoroughly renovated - the rooms are nowhere near worth 444 per night in their current state. The rate shouldn't be more than 250 per night and only cause it is SBH. An equivalent hotel anywhere else tropical would be 100-150.
    Final words: stick with the Normandie or Salines Garden when you need a wallet friendly place for a few nights while waiting for your villa. Tropical Hotel is a nice try but a pass for me.
    We did a drive by on Friday to check out the new scene as I had heard the Saturday BBQ pool thing had taken off. I stayed there a few years ago while searching for long-term digs. I thought the rooms were VERY small and outdated. Thin walls and doors. Tanya, the receptionist was lovely and she is still at the spruced up property. New breakfast area furniture and couches around the small pool. We asked to see the BBQ menu which wasn't ready yet but was emailed to us late that night. All of the tables were deuces so I couldn't really see how you could go there for lunch with a few other people. I did hear their ribs were good and reasonably priced. I payed 150 Euros a few years ago in November. 444 that Tom is paying seems like a huge reach but I did not see what, if anything, they had done to improve the rooms.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

I forgot to mention the paper thin walls. Just today some guests checked in next to us and we can hear every single word uttered. (Praying they aren't night owls) and yes to be sure 440 euros can get you a room at a Ritz or Four Seasons in some resort areas but this St Bart's after all QUOTE=Reed;967977]We did a drive by on Friday to check out the new scene as I had heard the Saturday BBQ pool thing had taken off. I stayed there a few years ago while searching for long-term digs. I thought the rooms were VERY small and outdated. Thin walls and doors. Tanya, the receptionist was lovely and she is still at the spruced up property. New breakfast area furniture and couches around the small pool. We asked to see the BBQ menu which wasn't ready yet but was emailed to us late that night. All of the tables were deuces so I couldn't really see how you could go there for lunch with a few other people. I did hear their ribs were good and reasonably priced. I payed 150 Euros a few years ago in November. 444 that Tom is paying seems like a huge reach but I did not see what, if anything, they had done to improve the rooms.[/QUOTE]

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,167

Thomas - if it's not too late in your trip, you could change hotels and go a couple hundred feet uphill and got to Le Village Hotel aka Village St. Jean. When I last checked the rates, VSJ was cheaper than the Tropical

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,857

Eve started this thread. I wonder if she's reading along?

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,088

But do they still have cockroaches?