Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize in Literature

JEK

Senior Insider
Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize in Literature

By SEWELL CHANOCT. 13, 2016

14Nobel-web-master768.jpg

Bob Dylan performing at the Hollywood Palladium in 2012. CreditChristopher Polk/Getty Images

LONDON — The singer and songwriter Bob Dylan was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature on Thursday for “having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition,” in the words of the Swedish Academy.

He is the first American to win since the novelist Toni Morrison, in 1993. The announcement, in Stockholm, came as something of a surprise. Although Mr. Dylan, 75, has been mentioned often as having an outside shot at the prize, his work does not fit into the traditional literary canons of novels, poetry and short stories that the prize has traditionally recognized.
“Mr. Dylan’s work remains utterly lacking in conventionality, moral sleight of hand, pop pabulum or sops to his audience,” Bill Wyman wrote in a 2013 Op-Ed essay in The New York Times arguing the case for Mr. Dylan’s getting the award. “His lyricism is exquisite; his concerns and subjects are demonstrably timeless; and few poets of any era have seen their work bear more influence.”
2016 Nobel Prize Winners

Times coverage of this year's laureates.

The Nobel, one of the world’s most prestigious and financially generous awards, comes with a prize of 8 million Swedish kronor, or just over $900,000. The literature prize is given for a lifetime of writing rather than for a single work.
The prize announcement came hours after news of the death at age 90 of Dario Fo, the Italian playwright, director and performer whose satirical work was recognized by the 1997 prize.
Previous Nobel laureates in literature have included giants like Rudyard Kipling, William Faulkner, John Steinbeck and Gabriel García Márquez.

14Nobel-web2-blog427.jpg

Mr. Dylan in Paris in 1987.CreditBertrand Guay/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

In recent years, the prize has gone to a stylistically and geographically diverse group of writers, among them the Belarussian journalist Svetlana Alexievich in 2015, the French novelist Patrick Modiano in 2014, the Canadian short story writer Alice Munro in 2013, the Chinese novelist and short story writer Mo Yan in 2012, and the Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer in 2011.

In the weeks before the announcement, speculation about potential winners swirled in the literary world and even in betting markets. Some familiar names were bandied about, including the American novelists Philip Rothand Don DeLillo, the Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami, the Kenyan playwright Ngugi wa Thiong’o, and the Syrian poet known as Adonis. Other writers seen as having an outside shot at the prize included the Albanian writer Ismail Kadare, the Spanish novelist Javier Marías and the South Korean poet Ko Un.
When Ms. Alexievich won last year, it was a rare instance of a nonfiction writer being honored by the Nobel committee for her artistic achievement. Ms. Alexievich, a journalist who has used oral history to examine painful moments in the history of the Soviet Union, including the Chernobyl disaster and the experience of Russian soldiers in Afghanistan, bases her books on years’ worth of interviews with hundreds of people.

Have to say that when I saw the news report I looked to see if it was from The Onion.

For those who disagree, this NYT commenter sums up my feelings....

[h=3]tonywood[/h] Cambridge 2 hours agoThe selection of Dylan does not denigrate the qualities of any other writer nor does it insult them in any way. This choice simply recognizes the power of Dylan's words to move a generation and to speak to the hearts of individuals whether their concerns were social or personal. to those who feel they must guard the gates of high brow literature, I say don't think twice, it's alright.

You two should submit your writings to the Nobel committee and see how well you do.

EDIT: Marybeth snuck in before me. I'm addressing the two gents above her.

For those who disagree, this NYT commenter sums up my feelings....

[h=3]tonywood[/h] Cambridge 2 hours agoThe selection of Dylan does not denigrate the qualities of any other writer nor does it insult them in any way. This choice simply recognizes the power of Dylan's words to move a generation and to speak to the hearts of individuals whether their concerns were social or personal. to those who feel they must guard the gates of high brow literature, I say don't think twice, it's alright.

Yesssss.......the times, they are a 'changin' :peace-sign1:

You two should submit your writings to the Nobel committee and see how well you do.

EDIT: Marybeth snuck in before me. I'm addressing the two gents above her.

Bart, I was a little surprised at your cheap shot. Do you really think only Nobel quality writers can question Bob Dylan's selection for the literature prize? My reaction was to the selection of any songwriter receiving the Nobel Prize in Literature for lyrics, however interesting and profound. No particular quarrel with Bob Dylan, although I might have picked Paul Simon.

Bart, I was a little surprised at your cheap shot. Do you really think only Nobel quality writers can question Bob Dylan's selection for the literature prize? My reaction was to the selection of any songwriter receiving the Nobel Prize in Literature for lyrics, however interesting and profound. No particular quarrel with Bob Dylan, although I might have picked Paul Simon.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh.

I misread your comment as an attack specifically on Bob and his work.

I'm not qualified to judge what is great literature or what is a great poem, so I'll trust the experts in the field. But other poets in the past have won the prize for literature, so why not Bob?

Paul Simon was exactly the songwriter that came to my mind.

I like Paul Simon, and he does have a way with words.
I think there are many talented lyricists out there, so I was a little surprised that Dylan got it.
And for the record, I think he is talented.

Actually the prize is for Literature. Lyricists don't come readily to mind for me no matter who they are.

Everyone of them words rang true and glowed like burning coal, pouring off every page like it was written in my soul from me to you.-Bob Dylan Tangled Up In Blue

Why should he be normal now?

How does it feel? Nobel judges can't reach Dylan

Updated: OCTOBER 18, 2016 — 12:39 PM EDT
REUTERS/KI PRICE/FILES
Bob Dylan

by KARL RITTER, The Associated Press

STOCKHOLM (AP) - Five days after Bob Dylan was named the winner of the Nobel Prize in literature, no one knows how he feels about the prestigious award - not even the Nobel judges.

The Swedish Academy, which bestows the annual honor, says it hasn't been able to reach Dylan since the award was announced last Thursday.
"We haven't established direct contact with Bob Dylan yet, but I have spoken to one of his closest associates," the academy's permanent secretary, Sara Danius, told The Associated Press in an email on Tuesday.

If you're surprised by this, here is what our president had to say about him after a performance at the White House:

"Here's what I love about Dylan: He was exactly as you'd expect he would be. He wouldn't come to the rehearsal; usually, all these guys are practicing before the set in the evening. He didn't want to take a picture with me; usually all the talent is dying to take a picture with me and Michelle before the show, but he didn't show up to that. He came in and played 'The Times They Are A-Changin'.' A beautiful rendition. The guy is so steeped in this stuff that he can just come up with some new arrangement, and the song sounds completely different. Finishes the song, steps off the stage — I'm sitting right in the front row — comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin, and then leaves. And that was it — then he left. That was our only interaction with him. And I thought: That's how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don't want him to be all cheesin' and grinnin' with you. You want him to be a little skeptical about the whole enterprise. So that was a real treat."

If you're surprised by this, here is what our president had to say about him after a performance at the White House:

"Here's what I love about Dylan: He was exactly as you'd expect he would be. He wouldn't come to the rehearsal; usually, all these guys are practicing before the set in the evening. He didn't want to take a picture with me; usually all the talent is dying to take a picture with me and Michelle before the show, but he didn't show up to that. He came in and played 'The Times They Are A-Changin'.' A beautiful rendition. The guy is so steeped in this stuff that he can just come up with some new arrangement, and the song sounds completely different. Finishes the song, steps off the stage — I'm sitting right in the front row — comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin, and then leaves. And that was it — then he left. That was our only interaction with him. And I thought: That's how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don't want him to be all cheesin' and grinnin' with you. You want him to be a little skeptical about the whole enterprise. So that was a real treat."

Wow, I love that! Never heard it before.

And yeah, him not being able to be located by the Nobel committee is the perfect Bob-like response to the award.

Bob Dylan: 'The Nobel Prize Left Me Speechless'

Songwriting legend adds that he "absolutely" plans on attending December 10th Nobel ceremony "if it's at all possible"
gettyimages-474013596-83e3eccf-5cae-46ba-be0a-2086b7b39556.jpg

Bob Dylan acknowledged his Nobel Prize for Literature win Friday, saying the award left him "speechless" and that he plans on attending the ceremony. CBS

By Daniel Kreps
13 hours ago

Bob Dylan acknowledged his Nobel Prize for Literature win in a new interview published Friday where he said of the prestigious honor, "Amazing, incredible. Whoever dreams about something like that?"

Rob Sheffield on Why Bob Dylan Deserves His Nobel Prize
According to the Swedish Academy, Dylan won "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition"

Speaking to The Telegraph in his first interview since the Swedish Academy announced Dylan would be the recipient of their literature prize, the singer-songwriter added that he "absolutely" plans on attending the December 10th Nobel gala in Stockholm "if it's at all possible."

As for Dylan's "impolite and arrogant" lack of response about the prize and the Swedish Academy's fruitless efforts to get in touch with the singer since the award was announced, Dylan quipped simply, "Well, I'm right here."
In a separate announcement Friday, the Nobel Foundation revealedthat they did finally get in contact with Dylan about the prize. "The news about the Nobel Prize left me speechless," Dylan told the Swedish Academy. "I appreciate the honor so much." Dylan added, "If I accept the prize? Of course."
The Nobel Foundation reiterated that it "has not yet been decided" if Dylan would attend the ceremony.
When the Swedish Academy announced that Dylan would be the recipient of the literature prize, permanent secretary Sara Danius explained why the songwriter was given the distinction usually reserved for authors.
"If you look back, far back, 2,500 years or so, you discover Homer and Sappho, and they wrote poetic texts that were meant to be listened to, they were meant to be performed, often together with instruments, and it's the same way with Bob Dylan," Danius said in early October. "But we still read Homer and Sappho… and we enjoy it, and same thing with Bob Dylan. He can be read, and should be read."

Dylan responded to the comparison in the Telegraph interview. "I suppose so, in some way. Some [of my own] songs – 'Blind Willie,' 'The Ballad of Hollis Brown,' 'Joey,' 'A Hard Rain,' 'Hurricane' and some others – definitely are Homeric in value," he said.
Dylan added of the honor, "It's hard to believe," and admitted he hasn't thought much about whether he's worthy of the Nobel Prize for Literature. "I'll let other people decide what they are. The academics, they ought to know. I'm not really qualified," Dylan said. "I don't have any opinion."