This article convinced us to try sous vide

JEK

Senior Insider
Making Sous Vide Simplify Work for You

By BRIAN X. CHENOCT. 10, 2016

Photo
12SOUS-VIDE1-master768.jpg

Sous-vide beef prepared by Grant Crilly at ChefSteps in Seattle. CreditStuart Isett for The New York Times Increasingly affordable and easy to do, sous-vide immersion cooking has become trendy among food nerds who want precise control over the doneness of their meats.
Sous vide, which means “under vacuum” in French, involves sealing food in an airtight bag and giving it a hot-water bath. A cylindrical gadget gently circulates and heats the water to a precise, consistent temperature, allowing the food to reach the exact temperature the cook desires without the risk of overcooking. Its advocates say the method is the key to attaining a piece of meat that is uniformly tender and juicy inside.
But gosh, it can take forever.
Enthusiasts who sing the praises of sous vide often try to indoctrinate home cooks with the holy grail of recipes: the perfect rib-eye steak. Set the device to heat up the water to around 129 degrees, immerse the bagged steak in the water and, like magic, you have a steak that is perfectly medium-rare all the way through, not just in the center. Give it a sear to brown the crust, and it’s close to something you would get at a steakhouse.
Glossed over in that sales pitch is the part where sous vide takes at least an hour to cook the steak, or up to 10 times longer than it would using conventional methods, like a stove or grill.
Making Sous Vide Simplify Work for You

What I like is the "stick" that goes in any pot. We always make a number of "snow meals" for, well, snowy days. I think the machine will be perfect for preparing, freezing and then finishing a "snow meal". Most of the places we go out for dinner use sous vide and now I really understand why.

We plan meals from Saturday to Wednesday. Thursday could be a Frittata or pasta or takeout. Friday always fish or shellfish. Our snow meals are usually pasta- I have 50 quarts of red sauce.
The problem with sous vide is the time.

We plan meals from Saturday to Wednesday. Thursday could be a Frittata or pasta or takeout. Friday always fish or shellfish. Our snow meals are usually pasta- I have 50 quarts of red sauce.
The problem with sous vide is the time.

As double pensioners we have the time. She isn't convinced. I ordered on Prime and will report back.

We use it all the time and it rocks.

Throw a couple steaks in for 2 hours at 129*, go play in the pool, BAM! Sear on the cast iron for 90 secs per side.

I would have done a cheap piece of meat like skirt steak first. Lamb chops take 6 minutes on the grill for rare.

She had a rack of lamb in the fridge for dinner and I chopped off a couple of chops for the test run. When you get yours you can cook anything you want. NOW, GET OFF MY LAWN :cool:

You don't know what you are missing. Don't get me wrong I still use gas from time-to-time.

I am of the if it isn't broke don't fix it crowd. I have, however, starting using grill mats. I get the full grill marks with no mess on the grill itself. The mats clean up easily.