The Longest Walks at the Airport

JEK

Senior Insider
The Longest Walks at the Airport

As terminals expand and moving walkways disappear, you could be in for a serious hike to your gate

Some airline passengers now walk a mile or more to get to their gate. WSJ's Scott McCartney and WSJ's Tanya Rivero discuss airports with the longest walks and how airports are trying to solve the problem for air travelers. Some airports use art and sounds to make a trip on foot less tedious, such as the neon sculpture ‘Sky’s the Limit’ by artist Michael Hayden at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport. Photo: Getty

renocol_ScottMcCartney.gif

By SCOTT MCCARTNEY

Updated Sept. 28, 2016 3:53 p.m. ET40 COMMENTS

Would you walk a mile for an airline flight?
You may. Airport terminals are getting longer for bigger planes, more gates and extra retail space. Connecting flights are sometimes located farther away because airlines have spread operations over more terminals. In Philadelphia, that means a literal walk over the county line. And in Chicago, Newark, N.J., and Orlando, Fla., moving walkways have been removed recently to make room for seats, bars and restaurants.
Several airports now report their longest potential walks stretch more than a mile, with some much longer. Trams, buses, carts and wheelchairs can shorten those hikes.

http://on.wsj.com/2dscQaJ

I realize this is a domestic list. The longest walk I have had at an airport was last fall at MXP, Milan. The long walk of course takes you by many stores. :mad:

I read this today and did not realize the walks were so long at some airports. If one is not in a hurry, they are quite nice, often with a lot of art on the way.