The Pineapple Daiquiri Perfected?

cassidain

Senior Insider
IMG_2217.jpg

It's not my usual cocktail preference, but I've tinkered occasionally over the years in an effort to concoct a completely satisfying Pineapple Daiquiri. I adore an occasional Orgeat Daiquiri made with Monin Orgeat in the classic David Embury proportions of
8-2-1, strong-sour-sweet. The pursuit of the Pineapple equivalent, however, had left me unfulfilled.
Mme Cassidain had purchased a pineapple a couple of weeks ago, and it had sat in the frig growing riper and riper, so I thought I'm going to give this thing another whirl. I'm quite happy with the results.

Pineapple Daiquiri for Two

Cut top and bottom from ripe pineapple, then remove rind and core. In a quart measuring pitcher place 5-6 ounces of pineapple cut into pieces. Muddle well with a pestle or muddler to release juice. Add 1 ounce fresh lime juice, 1/2 ounce sirop de sucre de canne, then 2 ounces of your favorite dark rum (like Appleton Special or the sort), and 2 ounces of either a Bacardi type white rum or, even better, of Wray & Nephew 123 proof Jamaica rum. Muddle all together again. Pour mixture into a medium strainer sat atop a shaker can. Press down on pineapple flesh with muddler or pestle to release all liquid. A little of the pineapple flesh will pass thru strainer and into shaker can as a fine pulp, but 95% will remain in strainer. Enjoy the leftover rum tinged pineapple mash with a spoon. Add lots of very cold ice to shaker can and agitate like a Banshee. Finally, strain into 2 frozen cocktail glasses garnished with Maraschino cherry or pineapple wedge. Rich, balanced, decadent. Enjoy !