Haute Maison & Honeymoons - the tradition continues :-)

KaraBrooks

Senior Insider
A little background -- Many a year ago Bob and I spent our honeymoon on SBH. We stayed, at the time, at Francois Plantation. It was a nice trip (but for a rouge wave and an unfortunate shattered collarbone but I digress). We had loved our hotel stays (Guanahani was the first, several lovely trips to FP (the eggs!!) and a wonderful week at Toiny) but we were getting that villa "itch" if you will. I did a little research and contacted Libby Troyer who, at the time, advertised on Peter O"Keefe's site about a villa that I really liked the looks of - Villa Kercliff - which she and her husband Steve had recently purchased. Libby immediately mailed us out a packet of information about the villa with pictures/details and invited us to tour the property on a day that it was vacant. We drove from FP up to Pointe Colombier, past the (then) Mayor's house and were stunned by the views and the villa (and Libby and Steve had only just started the renovations on the property!) We noticed slightly run down structure nearby but did not give it much thought. We were not the only ones taken by Villa Kercliff's charms, however, and we found it hard to book an open week with our tendency towards last minute planning.

Fast forward a year or so and another packet arrives in the mail from Libby describing their new villa - Haute Maison. They had completely redone the neighboring structure and created a gorgeous second villa. We jumped on the chance to stay there for our first villa experience and ended up being the very first guests at Haute Maison. We have, as such, always considered Haute Maison our (belated) "honeymoon" villa. We have spent many wonderful trips to SBH at Haute Maison. We stayed there when we threw the very first SBHonline gathering. It was our home base when we were researching Paradise Found. We stayed there when we brought the youngest kids to the island (and they got to meet and hang out with Libby and Steve's charming kids who were coincidently staying at Kercliff). We were there right before we opened the restaurant (we should have just stayed there :)). I picture the view from the infinity pool often during cold Boston winters. So many of our SBH memories are weaved into our stays to Haute Maison.

A few years ago a neighboring villa to Kercliff and Haute Maison underwent some major construction (and all the fun noise that goes along with it) which Libby was very upfront about so we found ourselves seeking lodging elsewhere (and as BAD luck would have it - still being subjected to construction noise - only no one told us about it in advance - not cool!). As GOOD luck would have it we ran into Lib when we were last on the island and got a chance to tour our first "home" again and see the stunning new kitchen and the neighborhood now the that construction is fully completed. Just gorgeous!

Fast forward to today when another packet arrives from Libby. This packet, however, is for our youngest daughter (Bob's daughter and my wonderful stepdaughter) and her future husband. We booked them at Haute Maison for their honeymoon next April! I am actually possibly more excited about their trip to our favorite isle than I am about our trips (and that is saying a lot). We are so looking forward to spreading the SBH love to this lovely couple as they start their lives together and could not think of a more perfect honeymoon villa for them to call home on the island than our (honorary) honeymoon villa. Circle of life :)!!!

Libby's awesome packet (which includes personal cards for them with their married name - how sweet is that???, island info, villa info, SBH magazines and a SBH checklist):
IMG_2570.jpg

Nice memoir. And if that is the young lady who worked at the restaurant she is lovely. Good luck to her and her fiancé.

Oooooh....tingle! tingle! Such happy news, Kara. Libby doesn't do ANYTHING second-class. I love her for that!

That is a lovely story - Nothing better than passing on the SBH love that we all share! All the best to the happy couple and your families!

I have had wonderful stays at the Troyers' Haute Maison. Too. The infinity pool an hot tub were great spots. Also just sitting on the terraces and enjoying the gardens and the views while I get into yet another good book..great memories. Good luck and best wishes to the young couple.

What a coincidence that these two villas, Kecliff and Haute Maison, are at the top of the forum conversation for both honeymoons and 30th anniversaries. Congrats to those beginning their married life and those celebrating a lifetime together.

Kara, as always, you're an amazing storyteller.

Very cool Kara ....I believe I met her at the restaurant ....

I first met you and Bob at Haute a lifetime ago and one of the best days I have ever spent on the island was playing Captain on Steve and Libby's boat and taking a bunch of people out to Colombier for the day ....it was a truly memorable day.....they re straight up great people

well done

Many of our trips to St Barths would make great honeymoons. A wonderful place to be with your special person and to celebrate love while you relax and enjoy all that the island offers you.

I am sticking with my one and only. In my case I msy change my villa, but not my partner.

Is that coming up soon? I trust you will find a magnificent spot on this fabulous planet.

Kara- We have the same story- always staying in the same Villa and then our son and daughter in law spent their honeymoon this year at that same Villa. What goes around comes around! Thanks you for sharing your wonderful story!

Annie is indeed the lovely young lady that worked at the restaurant (not her favorite thing :) but she was a good sport). She actually teaches high school English in your neck of the woods Andy - Philadelphia.

Annie and her fiancé have something special and we are so happy for them. Annie confided that she is more excited about SBH than the wedding. My hope is that their marriage will be the very best part but I know they will have a wonderful wedding and a sensational time on SBH!!

Mike - I remember having you and Wendi and Lena over to Haute. Lena was SO young then! And I remember wine and cheese at Haute with Phil and Amy many a year ago. Like Dennis said (Happy bday btw), lovely memories . . . old & yet to be made!

Kara- will they be living in the Philly area? If so I look forward to a visit from you and Bob and a get together with us.

What a special "circle of life" story. Warm wishes to your family as you plan this happy occasion! I remember that pretty girl from Still River Cafe---I'm sure the bride and groom will adore St. Barth! We have enjoyed sharing our love of the island with our children and grandchildren; nothing warms the heart more than seeing it through their eyes.

Kara,
My wife Tillie and I will be at Kercliff 4/14-4/23 maybe we will cross paths with the lovely newlyweds

Jimmy