DELTA hmm

didier

Senior Insider
We had an early 6 a.m. flight out of boston to sxm. we arrived early for check in ( a good idea) we were third in line for the 3 agents that were checking people in. we got the person who was obviously new to the gate agent game. we handed her our passports, we already had our boarding passes, we were only checking luggage.

the first words out of her mouth were, can I have your visa please to put into the system, she says this to didier who had handed her his french passport. he informs her that he does not need a visa. she said oh no sir, you are flying into a dutch country and you have to have a visa. we explained that st. maarten is half french/half dutch, but even if that were not the case, didier would not need a visa anyway as st. maarten is part of the european union, he can travel anywhere in europe without a visa. she said, no sir, you have to have a visa.

at that point in the conversation, we said we need a supervisor as didier does not have nor does he need a visa to travel home.

she said she would call someone, but while she was waiting for someone to come on the line, she would like to know when didier plans to return to the usa. he said he did not know as he was going home to his french country. she then said she would have to have a date that he would return to put into her computer or he could not fly today. can you imagine all this? bizarro check in station. we finally made up a date to make her happy, we said okay december 20, 2016. she put that into the computer. this is over right? no,not by a long shot,

what airline will you be returning on mr. greaux? and if its delta, I can print this out for you. by the way, I had no problem at all with my american passport and flying to a dutch country.

finally someone came on the line and they talked and talked and talked. she kept explaining into the phone how mr. greaux would return to the usa on december 20th, ( yikes, he is french guys, he never HAS to return to the usa!) but was not sure of the airline he would fly back to the usa on, will this be a problem?

finally after about 30 minutes went by, ( I kid you not) and about thirty other people had checked in around us. she finally put down the phone and said everything is okay now, we will let you fly today mr. greaux. we made it to the gate with a few minutes to get a biscuit before boarding the plane.

the good news, I was upgraded to first class for the first leg of the flight, didier stayed in coach.

needless to say in the future, we will do curbside check in

Glad you made it (and got the first class upgrade!) but not loving the ineptitude of Delta, as we just booked them for November.
Safe travels!

Now with all of the issues for poor Didier, why did you not let him sit in First Class? LOL!

we normally book aisle and aisle as we both like that. a full plane, the couple needed and wanted to sit next to each other, the middle seat next to me was the only seat left on the plane. the flight attendant asked me if I would mind sitting in first class so the couple could sit next to each other, of course I did not mind. didier just laughed. actually most of the plane was laughing when she asked if I would mind moving to first class.

I'm sorry to read that you and DDA got hassled like that. I'll bet you were furious; I know I would have been!

Our flight back on Delta (SXM-JFK-DCA) was cancelled (JFK to DCA leg). They said they would give us a credit as we just rented a car and drove. Because we couldn't get another flight out until 5 pm the next day.
We tried to use the credit while booking our flight for this year's trip online. Didn't work. So we called. On the phone for an hour and 40 minutes. All for $80. ��

We had an early 6 a.m. flight out of boston to sxm. we arrived early for check in ( a good idea) we were third in line for the 3 agents that were checking people in. we got the person who was obviously new to the gate agent game. we handed her our passports, we already had our boarding passes, we were only checking luggage.

the first words out of her mouth were, can I have your visa please to put into the system, she says this to didier who had handed her his french passport. he informs her that he does not need a visa. she said oh no sir, you are flying into a dutch country and you have to have a visa. we explained that st. maarten is half french/half dutch, but even if that were not the case, didier would not need a visa anyway as st. maarten is part of the european union, he can travel anywhere in europe without a visa. she said, no sir, you have to have a visa.

at that point in the conversation, we said we need a supervisor as didier does not have nor does he need a visa to travel home.

she said she would call someone, but while she was waiting for someone to come on the line, she would like to know when didier plans to return to the usa. he said he did not know as he was going home to his french country. she then said she would have to have a date that he would return to put into her computer or he could not fly today. can you imagine all this? bizarro check in station. we finally made up a date to make her happy, we said okay december 20, 2016. she put that into the computer. this is over right? no,not by a long shot,

what airline will you be returning on mr. greaux? and if its delta, I can print this out for you. by the way, I had no problem at all with my american passport and flying to a dutch country.

finally someone came on the line and they talked and talked and talked. she kept explaining into the phone how mr. greaux would return to the usa on december 20th, ( yikes, he is french guys, he never HAS to return to the usa!) but was not sure of the airline he would fly back to the usa on, will this be a problem?

finally after about 30 minutes went by, ( I kid you not) and about thirty other people had checked in around us. she finally put down the phone and said everything is okay now, we will let you fly today mr. greaux. we made it to the gate with a few minutes to get a biscuit before boarding the plane.

the good news, I was upgraded to first class for the first leg of the flight, didier stayed in coach.

needless to say in the future, we will do curbside check in

Sounds like Delta needs to train their workers better.
We booked frequent flyer tickets earlier last month, but the phone agent said the day before travel, that my checked bag wouldn't be charged if I checked in with my husband on the day of travel (we both have the airline credit card, but he is the primary). The desk agent at the airport the next day, refused to check my bag without a fee. Delta did end up refunding my bag check fee, after I complained upon return. (I was not charged by the agent on the return trip for the checked bag fee).

Welcome to the forum Hulagirl! Our family lives in Northern Virginia. Sorry to hear of your
problems with Delta.