Package logistics

ChasBidd

Senior Insider
I must send a box of papers, about 3 lbs. to a specific mailing address on SBH from Rhode Island. I have never done this before. Which is the best (most reliable) international package delivery company serving SBH today? Any idea of the delivery time frame?

We ship a package before every trip, and we use UPS. From Long Island, it takes 2-3 business days. We have shipped to multiple addresses with absolutely no problem. They are pricey, but they are reliable.

Phil

Used Fedex a few times....2-3 days no problems....tried UPS next day international, went to Belgium first, then Germany, then mainland France. Never did make it there in spite of all the phone calls. Took me 6 months to get package returned. Make sure you put French West Indies on package, and not just country and zip code....

I had good luck with Fedex. I think it's a little more money than UPS, but the tracking and delivery seems to be better.

Whatever you do, don't try USPS. I once sent Marius 6 packages of books and the delivery ranged between 4 and 14 weeks! Via Belgium as well.

FedEx & DHL seem to work best in the islands. They have their own airplanes (Cessna Caravans) feeding the smaller islands from their main hubs (FedEx in SJU and DHL in St Kitts). UPS and USPS don't.

Labeling the address correctly is important, St Barths is not Guadeloupe nor mainland France. Make sure your local FedEx or DHL store employee selects "Saint Barthelemy" as the country, and not the city or not the city only:

Use:

City: Saint Barthelemy

or

Do not use:

-> your package is ready for a little european tour

Do not use:

-> your package is ready for a little Guadeloupean tour. Not the worse, your package will eventually get there via Guadeloupe air mail, but not the ideal route.

FedEx traffic at around zero three hundred hours:

12928127_1731041463777384_7785342863778457517_n.jpg

[video]https://www.facebook.com/flymemphis/videos/vb.1449633685251498/1677616729119858/?type=2&theater[/video]

For four or five years, I spent a lot of time in Memphis. My recollection is that FedEx had two runways at the airport which were exclusively for its use. "FedEx Air," in addition, formerly was the largest (in terms of aircraft) airline in the world . . . don't know if it's still true.

For four or five years, I spent a lot of time in Memphis. My recollection is that FedEx had two runways at the airport which were exclusively for its use. "FedEx Air," in addition, formerly was the largest (in terms of aircraft) airline in the world . . . don't know if it's still true.

Wiki says:

FedEx has a fleet of 653 aircraft (June 2016), including 241 Cessna Caravans (used as "feeders").

FedEx.png

I have a quick question regarding mailing a package prior to our trip. Do you send it to the villa you are staying in or would it be easier to send it to the rental agency we are renting from (assuming it is ok with them) and pick the package up from them?