Better Location: Pointe Milou or Anse Des Cayes

sbh2017

Hi, we are planning our first trip to St Barts and having trouble deciding between two villas, one is in Pointe Milou and the other in Anse Des Cayes - any thoughts on better location as part of the decision? Thanks!

I think either location is good. Anse des Cayes for a short drive to Flamands and St Jean and Pointe Milou for a short drive to Saline, Grand Cul de Sac and Lorient. Any place in St Barts isn't very far from anywhere else.
Welcome to the forum.

pointe milou hands down. anse des cayes can be somehwhat easier on a budget though, the views not even close to pointe milou.

there are two sides to pointe milou. the windward side and the leeward side. different views and different exposure to the tradewinds.

The leeward side of Pte Milou is better. There is still wind which keeps the bugs away but it is not just blowing non stop. Views are better in pre. Milou but either place is fine. Anse de Cayes, as the other writer stated, will probably be less $$.

While many, perhaps even most, might say the Pointe Milou is generally a preferable location to Anse des Cayes, at the end of the day it really comes down to the individual villa.

kevin, would you agree that pointe milou is in general a more up-scale quartier?

sbh2017, the views out to sea from the leeward side encompassing neighboring islands and across the bays to more westerly areas of saint-barth are among the most dramatic on the island. we've never stayed on pointe milou, but personally would look for the tradewinds of the windward (easterly) side if we did, as we highly value their cooling and mosquito-scattering effects.

I agree with didier, having stayed in both locales. But as already stated, it is a matter of personal preference. You get a beautiful sunrise view in Anse des Cayes and a sunset view from Pointe Milou. Each area on St-Barth has its own unique charm no matter where you decide to stay on the island.

kevin, would you agree that pointe milou is in general a more up-scale quartier?

sbh2017, the views out to sea from the leeward side encompassing neighboring islands and across the bays to more westerly areas of saint-barth are among the most dramatic on the island. we've never stayed on pointe milou, but personally would look for the tradewinds of the windward (easterly) side if we did, as we highly value their cooling and mosquito-scattering effects.

I do agree that Pointe Milou is a more upscale area. However the individual villa matters too. The villa in Anse de Cayes may be a jewel, while the one on Pointe Milou may be next to a construction project. Or vice versa.

I agree with didier, having stayed in both locales. But as already stated, it is a matter of personal preference. You get a beautiful sunrise view in Anse des Cayes and a sunset view from Pointe Milou. Each area on St-Barth has its own unique charm no matter where you decide to stay on the island.

And the villa on Anse des Cayes may be on the water while Pointe Milou is high up. Yes- depends on personal preference too.

Many are up high in Anse des Cayes

image.jpegimage.jpeg

A lot should depend on how much you like to "come and go" during the day and evening. If you go into Gustavia for dinner the drive home can seem very long. It's a short trip to Anse de Cayes!

Pointe Milou is more upscale and picturesque, but Anse De Cayes is more central and convenient to town and many restaurants. If you haven't been to the island before, you may like that until you get used to the roads especially after dark.

Many are up high in Anse des Cayes

I did say may be on the water.

SBH2017, to add a bit of clarity to this particular back and forth, most villas in Saint-Barth are not beach front villas. Saint-Barth is a volcanic island, mainly up and down and fairly steeply so. Many vacationers are conditioned to thinking that beach front is best. I think Monsieur Nap prefers beach front. Others prefer a hillside or mountain top location (as I do) with a lovely pool and view. You will need to make that decision yourself. :blush-smile:

If you go to Le Ti and have one or more too many, its a far shorter walk back to the villa in Pointe Milou! ;)

In much of Pte Milou you can walk down to the Christopher Hotel for their incredible massages, feet in the sand lunches at Mango and oceanside dinners at Taino. And once a week they have a Brazilian night with great music and then you can 'stumble' back to your villa.

There a several posters here that stay on Anse Des Cayes and love it. Of course the villa they stay is to love too.